Regaining? This is such a hopeful testimonial

Julie R.
on 7/19/11 9:29 pm - Ludington, MI
 Yup, potato chips are my big weakness too, LOL.    Since I can no longer drown my sorrows in a loaf of good crusty bakery bread, I've gotta have one vice!

I'm doing a total carb detox right now.  I'm not aiming to lose any weight, but my son's wedding is in a couple of weeks.   We're taking the train to Montana, where it's being held, then staying at a B&B.   I don't want to have any gas issues on that long long trip, nor do I want to have the maintenanceman of the B&B knocking at my door saying guests have been complaining of sewer odors or anything, LOL.    I've been completely gluten and sugar free for three days now, and I didn't fart ONCE yesterday.    Not once.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

(deactivated member)
on 7/20/11 6:11 am
Newbie here.  I don't want to sound like I'm raining on a parade, I am being genuine.  I have been on a low card diet countless numbers of times and I lose weight each team.  How do you know the tool is still working or if it isn't just a product of low-carbing? 

Is it somehow easier to follow the low-carb diet post op?  Is the DS not good for sugar addicts? 

Julie R.
on 7/20/11 12:02 pm - Ludington, MI
 The only way I could lose weight in the past was also to low carb it - Atkins low carb it.   Now, I lose weight on a more modest low-carb diet - I pretty much just stay away from the sugar and white flour and I lose.  For me, at least, it is infinitely different.   It used to be, if I stop low carbing (going over 30 grams a day) I'd instantly gain back weight - and quickly.   Now, I gain slowly, and I've never gained more than about five pounds.    I can't even explain how different it is.   Also, because most of us are sensitive to sugars and many carbs, I feel much, much better when I low carb it.   I crave protein, and after the initial several day period of carb detoxing, it's easier.  Much easier than pre-op.    I hope others chime in to give their viewpoints on this.

NO surgery is good for sugar addicts.   Sugar often makes many of us so miserable, that you kind of condition yourself not to overdo it on sugar - although I have my moments.  Also, things taste MUCH sweeter to me now, so a little goes a long way.

(deactivated member)
on 7/20/11 11:57 pm
Julie, thank you for your feedback.  That definitely helps!

And let me apologize for all my typos - my low "card" diet!  Good Lord I sounded like a two year old typing for the first time!  That's what happens when you post from your Droid and it autocorrects for you!  :)
AngieB67
on 7/26/11 2:14 am - Bel Air, MD
This post was right on time!! OMG!!
I am 4 years post-op and noticed a 10-15 lb gain from my lowest weight. Folks are still calling me "skinny" (mostly because of my height)but I admit that I have gotten VERRRRRRRY slack lately with my eating habits!

This was a good reminder for me to get it together.

I love this forum! Even when I don't have the time to remain active on it, everytime I come back, I always gain new nuggets of help!

---------------------------------

Julie R.
on 7/26/11 3:10 am - Ludington, MI
 Angie - funny about this low carbing thing....I really haven't had much regain beyond the seven or so pounds I needed to bounce back from my way too low weight.     However, the past week or so, I have been de-carbing, because I'm taking the train to Montana for my son's wedding and don't want to gas the train out, LOL.     Also, I didn't want to be bloated for his wedding.  So, all I've done is cut out the flours and sugar.   I lost four pounds last week!

AngieB67
on 7/26/11 4:40 am - Bel Air, MD
My husband commented this morning that when I was at my way too low weight, I looked "sickly". (Awww...gee! Thanks Honey!) But now I look more "healthy". I actually agree with him about my way too low weight but I'm not trying to go up another pound! I will be happy finding a happy medium between the two!

I'm de-carbing too because I'm going on a couple of trips in the next 2 weeks and the hotel and plane thing has me NERVOUS! So just paying attention to my carb intake today has been eye opening!

---------------------------------

Julie R.
on 7/26/11 5:19 am - Ludington, MI
 I think it takes a while for us to get over the "Oh my God, I've gained a few pounds, and now I"m going to gain it ALL back syndrome!"   Since I was 45 when I had my DS, I just get too old looking when I get too low.   My surgeon actually warned me about that, and told me he didn't want me getting to thin.   He said "When you're older, gravity just isn't pretty," LOL.   Gee - that's a nice way of putting it.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 977 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1169 views