Good cracker substitute?

Lisey
on 7/20/11 4:19 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
I bet that would taste good too!  I used to love eating chicken salad, either from the deli or I would make it from the breasts of a rotisserie chicken.  The problem for me now is that, as a post-op person, I've become really sensitive to salt.  A lot of things that I used to like are just too salty for me now & sadly, rotisserie chicken is one of them.  I even think the breading on pre-made frozen goods, deli-bought fried chicken, or KFC fried chicken is also too salty.  Ditto on several restaurant's chicken sandwhiches.  Maybe someday, I will actually make a chicken & cool it for a chicken salad (I've just been too lazy!)

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

Poodles
on 7/20/11 3:22 am - TX

As I was making lunch I remembered Jicama.  I put my chicken salad on a "disk" of Jicama and it is wonderful.

Also, my DH likes pepperoni.  You can crisp it up and use it as a cracker.

Come to the Dark Side!!!                     
Band to DS revision 11/09/09.
Learn about the Duodenal Switch at dsfacts.com ! Off site comparisons of the 4 WLS 
http://www.thinnertimes.com/weight-loss-surgery/wls-basics/w eight-loss-surgery-comparison.html
http://www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html

LaShelle2
on 7/20/11 3:51 am, edited 7/20/11 3:51 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Just curious why you would not be able to have Ritz or Wheat Thins post op? I enjoy both several times a week?  

I think you will find the DS diet to be pretty liberal once you've made it through the first few months :-)

or

Am I missing something?

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

butercup
on 7/20/11 4:53 am - Kennewick, WA
I've read that a lot of people can't tolerate white flour after surgery or it slows weight loss.  I want to avoid bathroom issues and I don't' want to slow my weight or gain any back.

Just trying to anticipate what may be after surgery.  :)
LaShelle2
on 7/20/11 7:12 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
*smile*

I am praying you will be a lucky DS'er like me with very little carb intolerence.

Even those DS'ers that have gas, etc do enjoy carbs in moderation.   A few crackers 2-3 months out won't sabotage your weight loss.

Just enjoy it in moderation and you'll be fine. Like 4-5 crackers and not the whole sleeve :-)

You should have a full, enjoyable diet post op.  You don't have to eat like Atkins the rest of your life. You won't have to count calories or fat.

That's why I love my DS!

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

butercup
on 7/20/11 7:32 am - Kennewick, WA
I hope I am too.  I've been reading up on common channels and such.  I think the slightly longer cc might be a good thing.  I'm getting 150 with a 3 oz sleeve.  I was worried about it not being small enough, but after seeing how drastically shorter than the RNY's are, I'm not any more.  I think I'll be OK.  I also hope that I'll be alright with a carb or two after surgery.

Thank you for you nice response.
Twi light
on 7/20/11 7:48 am, edited 7/20/11 7:50 am - NY
what about making savory meringues?

http://seattlefoodgeek.com/2010/11/savory-chorizo-meringue-tapas/

butercup
on 7/20/11 7:50 am - Kennewick, WA
Very creative!  I've never made them before though.  I'll have to start experimenting.
Nina E.
on 7/20/11 10:53 am
You could try low carb bread.. flatten in your hand and toast.  only 6 gm of carbs. Also in the health food section there are ricechips one flavor is called santa fe. yum! i always enjoyed pork rinds (bbq flavor) with cream cheese as a snack. I imagine your dish might be good with pork rinds..

Nina ~~   BMI was 52, now 26.1 (normal). From size 26/28 to 10 pants and 2xl/24 shirt to xs/sm shirts. SW/CW/surgean Goal/mynew GW 322/161/180/165     I Heart MY DS!!

happydsr
on 7/20/11 2:22 pm
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 582 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 959 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 326 views