Good cracker substitute?

butercup
on 7/19/11 2:46 pm, edited 7/19/11 2:47 pm - Kennewick, WA
I know about cheese crisps and they sound delicious.

I read the seafood craving post and one of my favorite ways to eat shrimp sprang to my mind.

One block of cream cheese whipped and spread on a plate

Give or take one pound of salad shrimp mixed in with your favorite ****tail sauce

Then dump that over the top and scoop the goodness up with crackers!

We have it every Thanksgiving for our appetizer course.  It's so good!  I usually have ritz or wheat thins, but after surgery those will be 86ed.  So, what would a good alternative be for this kind of application because I don't know if cheese crisps would work?  Any suggestions?
J G.
on 7/19/11 3:49 pm
These are really good!

butercup
on 7/19/11 4:58 pm, edited 7/19/11 4:58 am - Kennewick, WA
That's awesome in sooo many ways!

Number one, if I can tolerate corn after surgery, big win!

Number two, my brother was a customer service rep for Amazon and he has an epic story about a lady from the south screaming at him about not receiving her "free chippins" (free shipping)

I found these in Seattle and when I got home I said to my brother, " I want you to know that these are yours, and they are free." Big laugh.

Thanks for sharing this and bringing a smile to my face at the same time. :)
P. Poster
on 7/19/11 8:36 pm
 Pork rinds are another option for dips.  I've also found that I can do a few corn tortilla chips without issue.  And, I've also made my own low carb tortilla chips by cutting up low carb tortillas and then frying them in oil.  There are also "Nut Thins" crackers, they are made with nut flour instead of wheat flour, have a smidge of protein and a bit lower carb count.  To be completely honest though, I just switched over to whole grain crackers post DS.  There are whole wheat Ritz crackers, and they are YUMMY.   I can still only eat a few at a time, but I make sure to slather them up good and make it a treat as opposed to a regular thing.  Of course, adding in these "optional" carbs is a YMMV thing- it may cause you gastric upset and it may slow/halt your loss, or even cause gain.  I haven't had those issues (yet) and try to be mindful of it and limit my intake.
kat08
on 7/19/11 9:31 pm - Matthews, NC
I just found these "crackers" at Costco this weekend...Suzie's Multigrain/Flax Flatbreads.  They are like the size of 2 saltines side by side and they are all whole grain - so no white flour.  Also, they are only 19 g carbs for 3 of them.  If you load them up with protein goodness, that's a pretty good protein/carb ratio.  I had mine with pepper jack pimento cheese yesterday.  :)
-Kathy
Have you had or are you going to have the DS and live in the Charlotte, NC area?  There is a DS meet up group near you!  PM me for details.
Poodles
on 7/19/11 11:43 pm - TX
I use medium sliced cucumber for my dips and stuff.  But I do have a real wheat thin every once and a while too. :)
 Come to the Dark Side!!!                     
Band to DS revision 11/09/09.
Learn about the Duodenal Switch at dsfacts.com ! Off site comparisons of the 4 WLS 
http://www.thinnertimes.com/weight-loss-surgery/wls-basics/w eight-loss-surgery-comparison.html
http://www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html

Kayla B.
on 7/20/11 1:21 am - Austin, TX
If it's Thanksgiving--I'd just eat it your favorite way and say the hell with it.

If it's another day and you don't care too much about the carbs, try to find a chip or cracker made from rice or potato or something.  Those tend to be easier on the tummy.  I have tried Mr. Krispers rice chips and liked them.  I also think triscuits are a nice option if you can do wheat--they are a whole grain and only have like 3 ingredients.

If you want to avoid chips altogether, you can try dipping veggies--carrots, celery, peppers, cucumber, zucchini, snap peas, etc.

The cheese crisps would "work" but I don't know that they would taste right (same for pork rinds).  Neither of those options just sound very yummy with shrimp...

You could try baking off some low carb tortillas too.

But...when all else fails, I say dig in with a spoon.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
butercup
on 7/20/11 1:43 am - Kennewick, WA
Thank you everybody for the great ideas!  I'm excited about getting to eat the shrimp dip anytime I feel like it. 
Lisey
on 7/20/11 2:00 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
I love eating tuna salad with celery stalks.  I would think being another seafood, that it might also work well with shrimp & cream cheese vs tuna & mayo (& relish & seasonings!).  I've never been one to like eating a plain celery stick, but to me, they don't taste like much of anything & are a great way to get a good crunch without the carbs or tummy upset.

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

Naked_Lizard
on 7/20/11 3:22 am - West Haven, UT

Lisey,

You should try chicken salad with the celery. in the Chicken salad throw a little tabasco for a hot wing effect. My DH loves it and eats most of it, grr.. lol

Toni
HW/298 ~ SW/285 ~ CW/161~ GW/140
OnederLand & Century Club - 11/29/2010

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 335 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 800 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 268 views