Am i being unrealistic with my goal weight?

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/11 2:36 am - Reeseville, WI

My goal weight is 120 pounds.  Now, the only time I weighed less than that much was in boot camp when I was working my ass off and when I went to 88 pounds by eating cucumbers on Wednesdays and drinking diet coke to stave off hunger.  As soon as that was over I went back up to 127.   That is what I weighed when I got married and what I weighed a couple weeks after having my first son.

I've been beating myself up for not being 120 pounds for months now.  I've decided to shoot for a normal BMI which is 128 and 10 pounds from what I am now. So I changed it. Some of that 10 pounds is excess skin. Probably 4-5.

Have any of you changed your goal weight?  Did you, at some point, realize you were being unrealistic in what you wanted to weigh?  Those old charts that had what someone 5 foot even should weight were at a much lower weight than 128. 

Maybe I am too hard on myself.  After all I'm nearly 50 and not going to weigh what I did 30 years ago.  I don't know what to think.

Kayla B.
on 7/21/11 4:18 am - Austin, TX
I think going for a BMI of 25 is generally perfect for most people and aiming below that is often unreasonable.  Just my opinion, of course.  If you overshoot and go lower, great.  But that's not the situation we're in and I'd definitely think you'll find a lot more pleasure out of being a weight that is natural to your body and easy to maintain than constantly going up and down the same 10 pounds.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Janet P.
on 7/21/11 5:40 am
IMHO you goal weight should be whatever weight you are comfortable at. Not sure how tall you are, but unless you're under 5 feet tall, 120 is unrealistic. 

My goal weight of 150 changed because there was no way I was going to get there. I currently float between 157 and 162 on any given day. I'm happier and more comfortable in the 150's and when I hit the 160's I star****ching my carbs.

I'm in my mid-50's and quite honestly, for me personally, the number doesn't mean anything anymore. Its only a number. Same with clothes - I buy what fits and I don't care what the number is - I wear clothes that are 8, 10, 12, 14, depending on the cut, designer, etc.

You can continue to beat yourself up, but why - you're healthy and happy, aren't you?

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Julie R.
on 7/21/11 3:06 pm - Ludington, MI
 I'm 5'4" (really, 5' 3 1/2" I think) and I weigh about anywhere between 122-127, depending on my cycle.   I don't weigh that often, but stepped on the scale yesterday and weighed 123, which is a BMI of 21.1  i probably have about ten pounds of loose skin, and if I had that removed, there'd not be much left of me.   I am 50.  Even though I am quite small boned, at my age, I think I look too old at this weight.     We need that extra bit of weight to smooth out our skin.     I'd really stop worrying about it.    If you want, just shoot for the upper end of the BMI range.   I've noticed that women in *our* age bracket look better through the face, neck, etc. when they are a bit of a higher weight.   Some people are very small framed or have a pattern of weight distribution that benefits going to a lower weight, but really....think about how far you've come and relax!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 333 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 799 views