is collagen protein less protein per gram than whey?

Twi light
on 7/22/11 2:54 am - NY
The nutritionist said that protein shots that have like 42 grams of protein, if it is the collagen protein, inreality only count for like 10 grams of protein.

Is this true? Is there some type of conversion between the proteins i should know about? 

I can understand how one protein may not be ideal, or may not keep you optimally full, but is it really only equal to like 10 grams of protein ? 

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 7/22/11 3:00 am
 I was told we just don't utilize enough of the collagen protein to make it useful for us. I didn't really study it much further after that, so don't know the specific reasons why.
* Gail R *
on 7/22/11 6:35 am - SF Bay Area, CA
I do know that fried pork rind is a collagen protein that is worthless. I thought I had found a great source of nice crispy protein, but it doesn't count.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

PatXYZ
on 7/22/11 7:06 am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDCAAS

Pure collagen protein has a PDCAAS score of 0.
vitalady
on 7/22/11 8:00 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
It's not all the amino acids.

Lemme think. You like espresso, triple shot. What you get is watered down decaf you can see thru.

Does that work?

They're both "coffee", in that way the collagen amd whey are "protein", but if you're looking for the most oomph for your buck and to get your best use, stick with whey.

It's more bioavailable to you. Not stronger, but more of your gut "fingers" can grab onto whey than collagen. You do not want to know the source of collagen.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Julie R.
on 7/22/11 10:07 am - Ludington, MI
 I love the way you always put things into real-life analogies, Michelle!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

vitalady
on 7/22/11 12:09 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
LOL! IRL I wave my hands a lot! But I know word pix tend to stick with ppl, my own learning style. My mentor taught me this way and I actually learned. LOL

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

teachmid
on 7/23/11 2:39 am - OKC, OK
Great explanation, Michelle.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 352 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 806 views
Need help for my mom