Any recent Joao Marchesini pts?

edeldog13
on 7/28/11 12:09 pm - MO
Just wondering what your experience was. How was scheduling, getting tests done, stay in hospital and hotel? Did you book your airline tickets or go through a travel agent? I guess, any help you can give.

I've seen the veteran posts (very positive), I just want some recent (w/in 2010 or 2011) info.

Thanks
(deactivated member)
on 7/28/11 12:16 pm
 Hi, I'm not recent but I just wanted to tell you, you can't go wrong with Dr. M. He is the best. Mine was 2 years ago so I'm sure things have changed, I hope someone more recent can tell you all about it.
I did my testing through my PCP and e-mailed everything to Dr.M
But I did do my EDG, and x-ray in Brazil because it was so much cheaper for me then here in the states.
I don't think that is something that would have changed that much.
Good luck
mylittleblackdress
on 7/28/11 1:13 pm - FL
I went last year and had Dr. M. arrange the hotel, transportation to and from the airport, etc.  You might be able to save $ arranging all that yourself but I wasn't going to be penny wise and pound foolish by doing it myself never having traveled to a foreign country before. That being said, my DH booked our flights on TAM on line like you would if traveling in the US.  Sao Paulo has three international airports so make sure you arrive at the same one you will be flying to Curitiba from.  Transfers from one airport to another within Sao Paulo are not recommended by the US State Department due to safety concerns.  We had no problems at the airport we flew into although they are more disorganized than the US airports and do not post the departure gates until about 10 minutes before boarding.  That was a little tricky not speaking the language but we did fine and did not miss the plane.  We had a long layover in case our flight was delayed so that we would not miss the connecting flight to Curitiba.  BTW TAM is a great airline and I would highly recommend a night flight as they are virtually empty and very quiet so you can sleep and stretch out. 

The total cost for EVERYTHING for two people including surgery, hotel, flights, food etc. was roughly $19,000 one year ago.  FYI--he is an outstanding surgeon and individual and I would do it again in a second!!  My recovery was textbook and easy, I am below goal, maintaining without any problems and loving life!

Good luck!
Lisa
edeldog13
on 7/29/11 2:41 am - MO
Thanks Ladies! I guess the economy has impacted the amount of travelers for surgery. The economy is specifically why I am going! I can't afford, as a self-pay the good doctors here in the US. I am so grateful to all the people who found Dr. Marchesini, and posted their experiences. What a blessing to have such a gifted and experienced surgeon!
Tammy_in_PA
on 7/30/11 3:46 am - New Castle, PA
Mine was 2 years ago, but Lisa pretty much hit everything on the head. You are going to LOVE Dr M!!!!!
 Best Wishes,
Tammy                              

Entered Onederland 01-03-2010
Century Club  01-29-2010
Goal    06-29-2010
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 358 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 817 views
Need help for my mom