Flagyl and Alcohol: myth?

Piliper
on 8/1/11 3:40 am
 I've read conflicting reports on drinking while on flagyl. Some say that it has a similar effect as antabuse, while others report no issues.

What's the truth? Anyone with personal experience?

SW: 383 GW: 180 CW: 157

Christine X.
on 8/1/11 3:43 am - TX
There can be more than one truth. Flagyl does not effect me negatively if I drink alcohol. That is my truth.
Christine  "Life is like a jar of jalapenos.  What you
do today, might burn your ass tomorrow".
Check out www.dsfacts.com for information on Duodenal Switch

Janine P.
on 8/1/11 3:46 am - Long Island, NY
I don't think it's a myth - I just googled it and found that alcohol and flagyl together is a big no no on numerous websites, including drugs.com. 

Do not drink alcohol while you are taking metronidazole and for at least 3 days after you stop taking it. You may have unpleasant side effects such as fast heartbeats, warmth or redness under your skin, tingly feeling, nausea, and vomiting.

Janine   Me on Youtube 

teachmid
on 8/1/11 3:47 am - OKC, OK
The antabuse effect is well documented but doesn't happen with everyone.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

(deactivated member)
on 8/1/11 3:49 am
Like so many things - truth depends on the cir****tances.

I have no negative reaction.
Piliper
on 8/1/11 3:50 am
 Hmmm... I took one this morning and just had a friend call and say he was coming into town tonight and wants to meet-up for a drink. What to do... what to do...

SW: 383 GW: 180 CW: 157

(deactivated member)
on 8/1/11 3:50 am - San Jose, CA
I forgot that I was taking a low dose of flagyl one time a couple of months ago and had a drink.  It could be psychosomatic, but I did not feel well for a while afterwards. 

Meh - I wouldn't do it again.  One or the other - I am fond of my liver, and don't want it having to decide which compound to detoxify.
beemerbeeper
on 8/1/11 4:01 am - AL
Well shoot.  I had no idea.

~Becky

Elizabeth N.
on 8/1/11 4:10 am - Burlington County, NJ
I had a different experience the last time I took Flagyl. I've never had that kind of issue. However, I had a blackout that I suspect had to do with that combination. It was VERY scary.

After that experience, I did a huge literature search for Flagyl and alcohol. From what my doc and I could find, there is only one actual study done that reported something like five such responses out of a crapload of Flagyl takers who drank. There are ALSO reports, which really caught my attention (though not very many of them either) of people who took a lot longer to metabolize alcohol out of their systems while on Flagyl, something like up to three days.

At the time, my habitual consumption was one pint of beer per day, hardly worthy of a problem otherwise. There was no other change in my routine except that I was on about day five of a course of Flagyl. So I will be very good about abstaining the next time I have to take Flagyl!

MomToTeens
on 8/1/11 8:25 am - OH
I had Flagyl in my IV pre op as I'm allergic to Penicillin and Amoxicillin.  As the nurse was putting it in, she told me it was an antabuse and to be careful....not that I would be doing any drinking, but she said sometimes it even affects some people using flavored extracts or mouthwash.

Susan
RNY:  05/24/2005     SW:  270, lowest:  190,  Back up to:  230
Revision to DS:  07/24/2011  SW:230/CW:181/GW:140

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"
Will Rogers

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 682 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1005 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 338 views