Protein shake question

Gina_N.
on 8/6/11 10:11 am
I finally found a shake i can stand from GNC, it's whey protein- banana flavor @ 20g/serving.  When I went in to get more today the lady working there told me I should be using whey isolate @ 28g/serving. She said it is absorbed better.  I held off and figured I would call the nutritionist Monday to ask her but remembered you guys would probably be just as helpful.  The problem is they don't have the isolate in the banana flavor.  Can someone tell me the difference. Thanks in advance
Gina
(deactivated member)
on 8/6/11 10:14 am
DS on 02/01/12
I can't give you any advice, but I will ask if the shake tastes like a cardboard box? I find protein shakes (at least any I ahve ever tasted) to taste and smell terrible. :\
MajorMom
on 8/6/11 10:16 am - VA
I think most of us that use shakes are using a whey isolate or whey isolate blend.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Gina_N.
on 8/6/11 10:52 am
Ericka, I can actually say I enjoy this shake and I have gone through around 5 so far that were not so appealing.  It's very easy to shake up, i can use a regular cup with a lid and don't have to use a shaker bottle. It's very tasty
Gina
MizCharlotte
on 8/6/11 11:20 am - Spring, TX
Try drinking them with whole milk and lots of ice.  And sometimes I add a Starbucks Via.    I use the Champions whey stack chocolate most of the time.

I think they are disgusting when mixed with water.
Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/6/11 4:46 pm - Tuvalu
On August 6, 2011 at 6:20 PM Pacific Time, MizCharlotte wrote:
Try drinking them with whole milk and lots of ice.  And sometimes I add a Starbucks Via.    I use the Champions whey stack chocolate most of the time.

I think they are disgusting when mixed with water.

...except that MANY of us became lactose intolerant or MORE lactose intolerant post-op.  So watch out for that.
MarciRenee
on 8/8/11 8:10 am - IA
I would use heavy cream or half and half before I'd use whole milk to mix a shake...Less lactose AND carbs.  More fat = a great deal.
Marci       
elixir
on 8/6/11 4:08 pm - MI
The nutritionist told me not to buy any shakes or powders that were not isolates. They are easier for our bodies to absorb and it's a waste of money drinking protein that isn't going to absorb in our bodies.

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

Ms. Cal Culator
on 8/6/11 4:50 pm - Tuvalu

I do NOT understand the science of all this...but I CAN read my labs.  So based on those, I'm going to say that either a) not eveyone needs protein supplementation, or b) non "isolate" protein works just fine, or c) some combination of those things is true. 

Meanwhile, the only protein I've used that my gut likes are the see-through stuff in the tubes or egg white protein. 

newyorkbitch
on 8/7/11 1:03 am
Yep.  I'm 11.5 years post op and I haven't had a protein shake in 11 years. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 774 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1061 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 351 views