Carbohydrates

Parker71
on 8/10/11 6:06 am - NJ

What is the number I should stay under when looking at carbs?

Wendy

Emily F.
on 8/10/11 6:21 am
Everyone will tell you a different answer. I always aimed for under 50 if I was trying to lose weight. For maintaining 100-150.
Elizabeth N.
on 8/10/11 6:26 am - Burlington County, NJ
There is no set number. You'll have to figure out your carb limits for yourself.

dgb123
on 8/10/11 6:46 am - Fairfax, VA
Yes, everyone is different.  I am a slow user.  My dietician recommended I stay below 40.  Most days I'm under 20.

yorkieGal
on 8/10/11 11:58 pm - Clermont, FL

Good Lord, how do you stay at 20 grams of carbs? I am so impressed, what does an average day of eating look like??

Yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

dgb123
on 8/11/11 4:28 am - Fairfax, VA
I'll usually have two protein shakes a day: one for breakfast and one for lunch.  Possibly a mozzarella and tomato salad and some string cheese.  Then for dinner, 4 to 5 oz. of meat: chicken, a burger or ribeye.    I do actually "force" myself to eat carbs occasionally because it seems to help with my constipation.  I really can't eat anymore.  I get too full and then will get sick.

Donna

beemerbeeper
on 8/10/11 6:49 am - AL
Is your ticker correct and you still have quite a bit to lose?  It is really more complicated than just a certain number of carbs. It is whether those are simple or complex carbs, how much protein you are getting, how much water you are drinking, etc...

If you are having trouble losing and would like help kick starting your losses I recommend you join the bites and vites thread.  You can get some ideas there for sure.

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 8/10/11 7:21 am - Woodbridge, VA
It completely depends on the person and your individual tolerances and goals.

Personally, when I'm actually eating as I know I should and not just eating whatever is convenient like I have been recently, I limit carbs as much as possible since they're non-essential (your body NEEDS fat and protein, but you can survive without carbs). When I do this, I end up with fewer than 10% of my total daily calories coming from carbs, and those are basically just carbs from nuts, dairy, eggs, and non-starchy veggies.
yorkieGal
on 8/11/11 10:57 pm - Clermont, FL

I am having a really hard time losing a small amount of regain and have been really cutting my carbs but the weight doesnt seem to want to shift. I have even given up my starbucks in case it was the heavy cream, I'm working out, drinking a ton of plain old water and still zero results!!
maybe I will try and get down to 20grams a day and see if that helps!!
well done you!!

Yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

Victorious_one
on 8/12/11 3:16 am - South Central, PA

Hi, Wendy.  Most people recommend 100g or less as a starting point.

Are you on MyFitnessPal?  (If so, friend me--Victorious_One).  I find that using that tool helps me to get an idea of what I need in terms of protein and carbs.

Set your calories to 2000, and use these custom goal measures for starters:

15% carbohydrates (75g)
30% protein (150g)
55% fat (122g)

Over several days and weeks, log in your eating.  You'll find out what you're actually eating nutritionally, and how it's affecting how you feel (energy, etc.) and your weight loss.  You can make adjustments as needed, based on your own needs.

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 368 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 822 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views