Post-op and PAIN

halblingefrau
on 8/13/11 4:51 am - Flagstaff, AZ
I had my surgery a few days ago (Wednesday) and I'm happy to say I now am a DS post-op.  However, I've been having crazy pain at one of my laproscopic inscison sites.  I have some great pain meds but they pretty much knock me out.  Anyone else have this problem?  How long until you were able to not be in terrible pain without meds?

J G.
on 8/13/11 5:18 am
I took pain meds for about 3 days.  Is the site red and hot like it could be infected?
halblingefrau
on 8/13/11 6:49 am - Flagstaff, AZ
No, it's not infected.  I talked to my surgeon and the one site that still hurts is the site where they did most of the work.  It's also the site through which the stomach was removed.  He said it is to be expected.

I expected a lot of pain because, you know, it's MAJOR surgery.  I guess I just didn't expect it to be quite this bad.  Although when I look back and think about how involved this surgery is, I'm a little amazed I'm not in MORE pain.

J G.
on 8/13/11 7:05 am
Oh good, then just take the meds and some stool softeners if you  get constipated.  Keep us posted!
elixir
on 8/13/11 6:51 am - MI
I took my pain meds for about a week and half, maybe even two weeks. There's certainly no shame in taking them. No one wants to sit around and be in pain. My guess is that the incision causing you the most pain is the one they removed the extra stomach through. That was the only incision that hurt for me and the surgeon told me to expect it.

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

nightowl
on 8/13/11 8:50 am - Topeka, KS

I had a complication of infection at the site where most of the stomach was pulled out.  I think my pain was severe, but gradually/steadily decreased.  (The wound had to be repacked with NuGuaze daily, and towards the end of the recovery time, the main pain was when they were stuffing the ribbon in, although that got better towards the end as well.)  I was on Rx pain meds way longer than average, I think it was around seven weeks, while I did a slow taper off.  It gave me a ton of anxiety/fear that I would run out, still be in great pain, and they wouldn't let me have more.  But, it turned out okay, I wasn't stranded, and didn't get addicted.

MiissOre0
on 8/13/11 10:06 am - pennsauken, NJ
I only was on my pain meds while i was in the hospital for a week. After that, i didnt take any  pain meds..i really didnt have much pain..i had a ton of soreness..But your at the beginning of your journey and i hope everything works out for you..Woohoo on your surgery!!!

This is a start of a new beginning..hw/cw/gw 600/200/175

goodkel
on 8/13/11 12:24 pm
I was on pain meds for a little over two weeks. Towards the end, I mostly needed them to sleep--I would move around in my sleep and wake myself up from the pain--and if was going to ride in the car--bumps in the road would kill me.

You're SUPPOSED to be knocked out. It is NOT a problem. You need lots of sleep to recover. Don't fight it.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

halblingefrau
on 8/13/11 2:21 pm - Flagstaff, AZ
Thanks for all the reassurances everyone!  I'm not so much worried about sleeping a lot except I feel like if I'm sleeping then I'm not walking, ergo I am at a danger for blood clots.  

Right now I found a wide ace bandage wrapped around my middle and the site that is hurting helps.  It gives me a little support and prevents some of the fat jiggles that seem to irritate the area.

I had my first bowel movement today and celebrated with a steaming medicine cup of broth.  I'm shocked at how full I get off of a tiny cup.  I'm more shocked at how much I DON'T CARE about food.  I seriously don't care.  I can understand why some people post-op have to force themselves to eat early out.  

I'll keep y'all up to date with my progress.  I'm just so happy I chose this surgery and I'm proud I did all the work and now it's finally done and I'm on the road to a new life.

halblingefrau
on 8/17/11 5:28 am - Flagstaff, AZ
Great news.  It turns out the majority of my severe pain was being caused by my drain.  The drain was removed this morning and since then I've merely been sore and tender.  No more stabbing pains.  The doc thinks the drain migrated out of place and that was what caused the issue. 

I'm one week out, eating purees and (now that the drain is gone) feeling really good.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 333 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 799 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 268 views