Sleeve vs. DS

Tiffany B.
on 8/14/11 4:37 am - Scottsburg, IN
I was sleeved August 1st and was wondering if any of you had thought of just getting the sleeve instead of the DS, or was DS the only way to go for you? This is just a question I have had. I had thought of doing the DS and didn't know if I could keep up with the vitamins needed. Please give your opinions!!
Elizabeth N.
on 8/14/11 4:46 am - Burlington County, NJ
It was not an option for me. I already knew I wouldn't get long lasting, life saving mileage from restriction only.

I don't find the supplement regimen difficult at all, especially not compared with the 19 prescription meds I used daily, including multiple insulin injections. Easy peasy.

goodkel
on 8/14/11 4:48 am
Keep in mind that YOU are still going to need to keep up with vitamins with your VSG. For the rest of your life. The loss of your fundus and the limited quantity of food you can eat requires it.

The VSG wasn't an option for me because my metabolism was screwed. Portion control wasn't my problem. I was also self-pay and didn't want to have the added expense down the road of having to pay again to "fix" a non-working or inadequate WLS.

Think twice. Cut once.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

Tiffany B.
on 8/14/11 4:53 am - Scottsburg, IN
I know that I will be taking a few vitamins for the rest of my life. Right now a take a B-12, multi-vitamin, and calcium. Like I said I am just wanting opinions. Thanks!
J J the Jet Plane
on 8/14/11 4:58 am
I am getting the DS, but originally I was going to do the sleeve.  In fact I would have already been sleeved if that was my choice.  After passing the psych evaluation-- he asked some good questions that I took home to think about.  How I wanted to live the rest of my life, how did I eat currently etc. What could I live with and or without?

For me I know I will need a malabsortive part of a surgery, but I did not want the RNY and dumping.  So the question is really a personal one-- how do you want to eat for the rest of your life, are you willing to take the supplements you need? are you willing to take care of yourself? getting blood tests, being an advocate for yourself. I felt and still feel like many of the DSers know more about their bodies, their nutrition and how in touch they have to be with how you are feeling, (lacking a nutrient etc.)

Taking supplements is just part of it-- either you are all in-- or this is not the right surgery for you. 

So I am going all in-- I want to know if I am lacking a nutrient, I want to be able to eat with my carnivore DH.  I am able to speak up to my surgeon, my PCP and get what I need to live my best life. 

Wish you the best with your sleeve, and hope I answered your questions.
JJ
Tiffany B.
on 8/14/11 5:05 am - Scottsburg, IN
Thank you very much for your post. I am doing good so far with my sleeve, I guess I was just making sure I did what was right for me. Thanks again!
Panda ..
on 8/14/11 5:20 am
(deactivated member)
on 8/14/11 5:46 am - San Jose, CA
Even if the sleeve had been an option for me 8 years ago, I would have dismissed it.  If I was having surgery TODAY, I would still dismiss it for myself.  A metabolism ruined by years of dieting, along with the experience of losing 60-70 lbs by STARVATION three times, only to stall and start regaining while STILL dieitng, told me all I needed to know about whether restriction was going to be sufficient for me, especially a surgery that would result in a stomach that stretches out to allow pretty normal (and more frequent) eating over time.  As it is, at 8 years out, I can eat a small normal meal (pretty small - I get stuffed on small bowl of chili with a good amount of meat in it), but be hungry again in 2-3 hours, and I do mean HUNGRY - gnawing your own arm off hungry.

The vitamins and other supplements are utterly a non-issue with me.  I take them twice a day, set them up in about 10 minutes once every 2 weeks.  I check my stock every time I fill up the pill box, and order as necessary.  Taking them is part of my routine, just as is brushing my teeth.  It is hardly onerous - but also not negotiable. 

I would be back over 250 lbs if I had only gotten the sleeve, and maybe over 300.  I am absolutely CERTAIN of that.  And the quality of life I have, without feeling guilty about eating delicious high fat and high protein food, is beyond anything I could possibly have imagined before I found out about the DS.
(deactivated member)
on 8/14/11 6:04 am - San Jose, CA
By the way, I want to make it clear that I am not against the sleeve in ALL cases - in fact, my daughter and I discussed it for her extensively in the last month.  When I told her about the special deal that I have been helping publicize for a surgeon (whose name is being withheld for now) to get COE status for his hospital, she started thinking about whether to consider it for herself.

Well, first of all, the deal would not have been available to her, because she doesn't qualify under the current NIH guidelines, as her BMI is about 33-34 (depending on the day, and depending on whether she is REALLY 5'1" or 5'2").  And she has no comorbidities, and carries her weight primarily below the waist.

But the surgeon said he would in fact do a sleeve on her as a self-pay, if she wanted it, because in Europe they are making bariatric surgery available to patients with lower BMIs, and preliminary results indictate that getting BMIs down before reaching morbid obesity is beneficial as well.  So he feels that the guidelines in the US are too strict, and keeping then strict is driven by insurance companies not wanting to have to pay for so many surgeries.

But my daughter is also thinking about getting pregnant, soon, and hoping to have 2 or 3 kids.  While it would be healthier for her to not be obese while pregnant, and while I hate for her to have to live with being obese for any longer than necessary, much less waiting to get even fatter, the fact is that if she got sleeved now, had to wait 18+ months to get pregnant (she is almost 29 now), and went through 2 or 3 pregnancies in the next 5-7 years, she would likely end up in her mid 30s with a stretched out sleeve, and back up at least as heavy as she is now.  And in that case, the only thing that could be done for her would be a resleeve (DANGEROUS!) with a switch, and she would be unlikely to get optimal results from TWO bariatric surgeries, plus the risk of the resleeve putting her in a worse condition.

IF she was done with having kids, and had a 33 BMI, I would support paying out of pocket for a sleeve for her.  And to reiterate - it is not because I think she would be at more risk during pregnancies with a sleeve - it is because I think the pregnancies would result in weigh regain, because I don't have faith in the sleeve as a long term procedure, especially with the metabolic stresses of pregnancy.

So, as it is, I think the plan is for her to get pregnant, and get done with having kids, and see where she ends up.  If she ends up below qualifying for bariatric surgery, then I will support (intellectually and financially if necessary) getting her a sleeve - OR a big sleeve, long common channel DS.  If she ends up qualifying for bariatric surgery, then I will encourage her unconditionally to get a DS.

She gets obesity from my side of the family, as well as diabetes, hypertension and hypercholesterolemia; on her father's side, "just" hypertension and hypercholesterolemia.  The DS can spare her ALL of that in the future.  The VSG, notsomuch.

Imissthe80s
on 8/14/11 6:16 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
 Diana,
Will you pay for my DS? Or at least help me fight the "baddies" in Dec. when they deny me because of my lowly sad BMI of 42? 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1026 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1193 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 484 views