8 days post op: how much is too much?

halblingefrau
on 8/18/11 9:31 am - Flagstaff, AZ
I'm 8 days post-op and on pureed foods.  The way I've been gauging my new stomach is that I have half a cup of cottage cheese to start, and eat slowly until I feel slightly full.  Then I stop.  My surgeon AND my bariatrician said I was doing this correctly, paying attention to my body and whatnot.

However, what worries me is that I am finding that I'm eating (over the course of a day) 1 cup of cottage cheese and 1 cup of cream soup.  Is that too much?  I guess even with the DS I figured I'd be VERY limited in my intake.  I am afraid of stretching out my stomach this early.

Any advice?

sandy_mt
on 8/18/11 9:38 am
 Trust me.  That is NOT too much.  I know everyone is different, and you will see when you move to denser-type foods, but if I take a bite too much my stomach hurts really bad and I will throw up.  It's nearly impossible to overdo it at this point out.  What you described is like 300 calories maybe.  You're fine!!

Sandy

(deactivated member)
on 8/18/11 10:12 am - Beverly, NJ
As long as you're getting in all your fluids you are doing awesome! It feels like a lot but you're fine. Just make sure you're drinking enough water.

How are you feeling?
Elizabeth N.
on 8/18/11 10:13 am - Burlington County, NJ
It's just fine and you will NOT stretch out your stomach. That is a dumb myth and needs to be driven out of existence.

Since when is two cups of very soft to liquid food in a day NOT "very limited intake"? Do you think we're supposed to live on a tablespoon of food at a time or something? LOL!

halblingefrau
on 8/18/11 10:18 am, edited 8/18/11 10:18 am - Flagstaff, AZ
On August 18, 2011 at 5:13 PM Pacific Time, Elizabeth N. wrote: It's just fine and you will NOT stretch out your stomach. That is a dumb myth and needs to be driven out of existence.

Since when is two cups of very soft to liquid food in a day NOT "very limited intake"? Do you think we're supposed to live on a tablespoon of food at a time or something? LOL! Hah that is one way of looking at it!  I guess all through the pre-op process I was literally figuring on being able to have one medicine cup of food at a time until I was multiple weeks out like my RNY friends. SO happy I chose to do the DS as I do not feel deprived AT ALL even at 2 cups of liquidy food.  I don't even feel hungry but I just try to eat a little every few hours.

By the way, my reaction to cottage cheese

Elizabeth N.
on 8/18/11 2:48 pm - Burlington County, NJ
That's exactly what you're doing. 16 fluid ounces of food in a day is not much more than an ounce or two per hour.

It will be different as you progress to denser food, most likely.

Compare this to a typical preop meal, or even to a typical Weigh****chers meal.

Kathleen F.
on 8/18/11 10:25 am
LOL! Love the expression on your face! Mmmmmm! Don't worry you are doing just fine. And your capacity will increase as the swelling in your stomach goes down. It will seem like you are eating a lot, but when you examine how much you are actually eating, you will realize that it is very little indeed.
edeldog13
on 8/18/11 11:03 am - MO
Love the picture! Remember all this so you can answer "we that follow you"!
Nurse N.
on 8/18/11 1:30 pm
That picture made me think of that Campbell's commercial..."Mmmm, Mmmmm Good!" LOL Glad you are able to get things down and being careful.

Take Care,

Nika

Lapband September 2007------>Revision to Duodenal Switch September 6, 2011

*A SETBACK IS AN OPPORTUNITY FOR A COMEBACK!

Julie R.
on 8/20/11 1:32 am - Ludington, MI
 I think you are doing just great, and eating the right things as well.
Think about it this way....you're still eating less than a small toddler.    Now stay off the scale, stay away from the carbs and get those fluids in.  Watch your body shrink before your very eyes!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 333 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 799 views