So, I guess I'm a big fat snob

scoob
on 8/26/11 9:20 pm - Somerset, KY
Oh I'm such a surgery snob! I don't like any of the other surgeries. I more feel sorry  for people who didn't take the time to really understand what they're getting. Sad! Like my Step Mom. She didn't research at all. She went to 1 seminar, with a doctor who offered LapBand, RNY at the time. She heard less invasive. And seen the word death with RNY and that's how she made her decision. She was so badly informed and didn't really understand  any of the surgeries. She shouldn't have gotten anything. Sadly, she eats around her band because if she eats solids she gets sick. She has gained 40lbs of the 100 she lost, back. She still thinks it's her fault and that the band would work if she worked her tool. Going on 5 years of hell and she still doesn't understand whats really going on!! Rant over!!

Oh and I can't stand the, so and so had that surgery you had!

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

"Just Elizabeth "
on 8/27/11 12:11 am - Houston, TX
That is my sister!!! Jenny can't/won't do the research so she went with the band. She saw billboards all over town and went "That works for me!" I was out of the country and didn't know until it was over.

Our other sister is all cheer leading the band but she hasn't done any research either. Now Jenny can't eat so many things. She has horrible gerd. There have been many times she has pulled over to the side of the street or freeway to throw up. One time she couldn't get stopped in time and threw up in her car.

So now I'm trying to help her get a revision to the VSG (DS is not a good fit for her. Along with the no research thing she can not take pills.) Our other sister is digging in her heals and saying "Well if you would just stick to the band diet it would work." That one has no frickin clue and refuses to see any differently because I said it is not a good fit.

Elizabeth                                                      
Back in the U.S.A.

"I have lost the lumbering hulk that I once was.  I don't hide behind my clothes or behind my door.  I am part of life's rich tapestry not an observer."  Kirmy

scoob
on 8/27/11 12:52 am - Somerset, KY
See that's what I have found. People who think they already know it all refuse to listen to anything. I, on the other hand, am always second guessing myself. This is the reason I research and read everything. I am also not afraid to ask questions. I do agree though. My Step mom would NOT be a good fit for any malabsortive procedure for lack of knowledge on vites and nutrition. Sad really. To each their own. Just glad things have worked out the way they have for me. I am the only person I can control. I have to keep telling myself that. I can be very passionate about WLS choice!

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

butercup
on 8/27/11 3:11 am - Kennewick, WA
I feel like if you think you could do a lapband or a RNY, you should get a VSG.  If you really know the RNY and want it for it's malabsorbitive nature then you should have a DS.  No pouch, no band. 

I know some people have good luck with the RNY, but only some it seems like.  The people I've known in my life  and there have been many, gained back a lot of weight with a RNY.  My cousin preforms them in Washington and I've talked with him extensively about them.  I wanted more success than a RNY could promise.  I would think most obese people would want that. 
NoMore B.
on 8/27/11 12:53 am, edited 8/27/11 12:53 am
Oh yeah, I know what you mean. I go through phases where I avoid the main board, and others where I'm very vocal about the DS.  I learned about the DS from a Diana Cox pcost on the MB, so I feel like we might be helping others, especially lurkers, which is what I was at the time.

A lot of people there just have the opposite philosphy of DS'ers.  There are those that think their obesity is 100% their fault, and they need a surgery that will "keep them on track".  I think most of us DS'ers feel that we needed a surgery to correct a metabolic problem, so we look at it from a different persepctive.

The people *****ally **** me off are those that say they researched all the options and chose what was right for them, and end up with a LapBand or RNY,  I can totally get someone chosing the VSG over the DS if that's what's right for them, but I cant think of one reason why someone would choose the other two - other than maybe financial if they're insurance doesnt cover it.  But even in that case I would do what I could, or wait, for a better surgery. 

The other thing that ****** me off is people saying they did al the research, but their research consisted of talking to a non-DS surgeon, reading some DS myths somewhere, or putting all their faith in antecdotal stories ("my aunt's friend had a LapBand and lost 100 pounds" type thing).

There are always going to be the lemmings that follow their surgeon, TV ads, etc., but I think being vocal about the DS can help the few that get it and are better candidates.
Elizabeth N.
on 8/27/11 1:10 am - Burlington County, NJ
Yup, it's frustrating. But some people DO listen.

AllieInOntario
on 8/27/11 2:33 am
I'm a newbie/baby DS'er - and I'm so glad you posted this thread because I feel the same way.

A week or two ago, I read someone talking about being in great distress (a Bander) who ate something and she couldn't throw it up because the constriction on that damn thing wouldn't let her.  Her food was actually STUCK in her stomach.  Blew my mind.  I honestly thought... ANYONE would do this to themselves willingly???????

I have a pretty tight stomach and the sheer notion of not being able to heave something that is causing me pain would make me want to jump off the nearest bridge. (Sorry EN, I know you avoid heaving at all costs).  I've had 4 episodes in 10 weeks, 3 out of the 4 were self inflicted - eating something that simply was too dense for my stage of the game.  

As for dumping, NO THANKS.   I see them talking about still dieting, and the lack of food they can/should eat, blah blah.... NO THANKS... I got off that rollercoaster.   So...call me a snob too.
Pick your surgery first, then your surgeon. Not the other way around.  
PS:... Potato chips should be a food group.

I'm tired of screwing with that damn health widget.
 I've lost 125 pounds to date!!!!
   And I'm UNDER 190 now!!! 

butercup
on 8/27/11 3:22 am - Kennewick, WA
I know all to well what you're talking about.  My good friend Amy got the band in 05 and she had stuff get stuck EVERY TIME she ate ANYTHING!  She would either painfully wait for it to pass, or throw it up.  The sad thing is, she is still obese today.  she lost maybe 40 lbs and she needed to lose over 100.

She wanted what was going to be the "easiest".  I'm glad that I didn't give up and kept reading.  I have to research and read things to death if I'm interested in it.  I'm glad that I looked at everything on this board.  I even considered a VSG, but I new with my bmi and my habits, I'd need some malabsorption.

I'm also sad because I watch my 5 friends, 3 cousins, 3 friend's moms, and my mother in law struggle with their RNY too.  Weight regain or never reaching goal and dumping.

There is one RNY woman that I know that is 9 years out and is doing pretty good.  She still has kept most of her weight off and lives a normal life.
Laz22girl
on 8/27/11 2:54 am, edited 8/27/11 2:55 am
I have two friends who have lost large amts of weight with the band. I think we all need to do what we are comfortable with regarding our bodies.

(deactivated member)
on 8/27/11 2:57 am - San Jose, CA
And just how far out are these two friends?  And what percent of what they had to lose did they manage to lose?  And what side effects and complications and eating difficulties are they dealing with?

People with stomach cancer lose weight - that doesn't make it an effective bariatric tool.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 592 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 965 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 326 views