J-Tube comes out tomorrow!!

MomToTeens
on 8/28/11 5:36 am - OH
And I can't wait!

I'm doing well, except still haven't lost any weight for 3 weeks.  Trying not to stress and only weighing once a week.  Back to work part-time, and the plan is full-time next week.  I am starting Vitalady's vitamin regimen (slowly though).  I am able to tolerate a variety of foods (no white flour or anything highly processed) and I eat protein, protein, protein!

I am calling tomorrow to make an appt. with my PCP, as they wanted to see me at 6 weeks.  I will go fully armed with info and diagrams.

I can't thank everyone enough for taking the time and effort to post here about so many different topics.  I can't imagine where else I could have learned so much in such a short time.

Susan
RNY:  05/24/2005     SW:  270, lowest:  190,  Back up to:  230
Revision to DS:  07/24/2011  SW:230/CW:181/GW:140

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"
Will Rogers

teachmid
on 8/28/11 5:49 am - OKC, OK
WOW, Susan....it's that time already. Are you taking it out or is someone else? You'll feel like a new woman.

Don't worry about the scale (I can't believe the I just said that! Haha). It will happen.

Sounds like you're doing really well.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

MomToTeens
on 8/28/11 5:50 am - OH
Hi Gail,

I am going to take it out.  I have an email in to Dr. K just to refresh my memory on everything.

I can't wait!!

Susan

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"
Will Rogers

teachmid
on 8/28/11 5:59 am - OKC, OK
I emailed him, then he called me and I reviewed with him what I was going to do. I was a nervous wreck and remember asking him what if it did come out. He kind of chuckled and said it would......and it did, quite easily. The site oozed for about a week or so afterwards....just warning you.

-Gail-

MomToTeens
on 8/28/11 6:58 am - OH
I don't think it will bother me much to take it out.  However, I have a friend who is an OR nurse on standby, just in case

Susan

Will Rogers

kathie09
on 8/28/11 5:29 pm - not available
Susan

I'm so happy you are doing well! I don't know anything about J Tubes, or their removal. I just had to chime into this conversation to say that we three had the best surgeon ever, didn't we? I just loved Dr Keshishian. I think I am his most wussy patient ever. When he removed my regular drains i think it took me about 5 minutes just to be able to speak again. Your drain sounds much nicer than mine. I will wish you so much luck.

When did you start introducing new things into your diet? I am still just doing soft foods, trying to keep my protein drinks in (though some days I just gag on them) and then making sure that every other meal is a soft protein. I haven't tried any real (meaning not lunch meat like processed meats) chicken yet, I am staying away from beef for a while just because I heard it is hard to digest, nor have I tried pork (bacon) Any suggestions on when to introduce those?

Good luck with the drain!
kathie09
MomToTeens
on 8/28/11 8:53 pm - OH
Hi Kathie,

Dr. K is amazing!!  I had the drains too, but he took those out before I flew home.  Since I was a revision, I had a feeding tube for six weeks.  That's what's coming out.  It's just such a nuisance, though would have been glad I had it if there had been a leak or difficulty getting in fluids or protein by mouth.

I was a bit of a slow starter, as far as the solids went.  I wasn't hungry for a while, and could tolerate shakes well, so I did a lot of those.  I still don't each chicken, unless it's in something to keep it very moist (like chicken salad) and I only eat bacon if it's cooked very soft.  I don't have too much problem with a medium cooked hamburger.  Seafood (shrimp, scallops, crab legs) go down the best, and I supplement with at least two protein shakes daily.

Everyone is different...We are both still early out, so it's sort of a hit and miss thing.  I also find that something I was able to eat easily yesterday may not have the same success today.  Good luck, and I hope this helps. 

Susan

Will Rogers

teachmid
on 8/28/11 10:12 pm - OKC, OK
Kathie,
I had a major aversion yo most foods for the first couple of months and really struggled with dense proteins until about 6-7 months. I have just started to be able to eat chicken, and I'm 8 months out.

I can honestly say I lived on shakes, bacon, string cheese and Greek yogurt for months. Now I don't like the string cheese (too salty ) and have no interest in yogurt.

Just go slow on your eating.

And yes, Dr. K is fantastic!!
     -Gail-

teachmid
on 8/28/11 10:14 pm - OKC, OK
Susan,
Let me know how the j-tube thing goes.
     -Gail-

dtabor5
on 8/29/11 1:23 am
I remember the day mine came out!!! NO pain, only a GREAT free feeling... yes it does drai a small amount but it is okay just make sure you keep it dry and change the bandages..

Congrats!
Denise

Denise T.
My Angel is MAJORMOM!!!

MY DS!!!!
I see stupid people everywhere!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 380 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 829 views