gouda

jenflock
on 8/29/11 4:37 am - TN
I wish I were in a more refined area so that I could attend a fine cheese tasting party.  I tried smoked gouda and love it!! the texture is the bomb.  I love colby and mozzerella as well.  I'm looking for a great variety without spending 5-20 bucks a slab to realize it tastes like ARSE!!! If you have any tried an true cheeses, be a love and tell me about them.  ALSO I finally came up with a winner shake cake!! vanilla shake, caramel SF syrup, and keep the cocoa powder in it too.  30 seconds to bliss!! woot woot!! It's so nice to finally get it right!!

Lisey
on 8/29/11 7:05 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
Ahhhh . . . I'm a Wisconsin girl at heart!  I also like smoked gouda, colby, and mozzarella as some of my favorites.  I'm guessing you like a creamy, mild flavor as I do.  If that is the case, you will also likely enjoy farmer's cheese (white) and havarti cheese (white).  Farmer's is cheaper than havarti.  I've found havarti with flavors a lot, the dill's not bad.  Muenster is another mild cheese, though it looks a little weird.  It has an orangish tinge on the outside and the inside is yellow.

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

jenflock
on 8/29/11 10:19 pm - TN
I do love the cse I know and just am aiming to stretch my palate a bit because frankly I'm bored. Love the creamy mild flavors and am interested in finding some of the "nutty" ??? flavored cheeses.  I've seen havarti at our food city and it's not too expensive and since you say it's a winner I will try it! thanks

Elizabeth N.
on 8/29/11 7:25 am - Burlington County, NJ
Dubliner Irish cheese FTW! They also make a fabulous Cheddar, all nice and crumbly and tasty.
You might give Manchego a try. It's very nutty, not tangy. You'd pair it with fruit if you were serving it at a tasting. It's kind of along the lines of asiago.

Raclette cheese is one of my favorites. It's medium-strong flavored, but it really develops its full flavor when you melt it. Look up recipes for Swiss raclette and you'll see how it's traditionally served.

True Emmentaler from Switzerland, imported, is another nutty flavored one. Don't confuse it with "Swiss cheese" crap!

AGED Gouda is also marvelous.

jenflock
on 8/29/11 10:22 pm - TN
AHH these I've not heard of!! I need to scope my cheese sections in my little town and hope I can scavenge these. Thanks. there is an amish store about an hour from my house. I may go sampling!! 

lisarn
on 8/30/11 9:09 am - Omaha, NE
I just got a parmesan mixed with chedder a week ago that was awesome. I went back to get more, and there was no more :(  But then I found a parmesan that is infused or soaked or something with balsamic vinegar. OMG!!! I am in love. It was a little spendy, so I only have a little at a time. 
I LOVE gouda too! It makes great grilled cheese. I haven't had one since surgery, and I really want one, I need to find some low carb bread so I can have one!
lisa
HW/SW/CW/GW:   294/288/170.2/150  ht: 5'2" (06/03/2012)

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 932 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1149 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 404 views