"Heavyweights" - if your had a lot to lose (over 150lbs or so), how did it go?

Mommy2006
on 9/4/11 8:28 am
I am almost 1 year out of surgery. I've lost just about 165-170lbs (I really should go get on the scale, heh). I STILL have 110 to lose. Just wondering the rate those of you who had a lot to lose (like me) lost at. :) I'm wondering if I need to get in more protein (I shoot for at least 100 per day), crack down more on carbs (I don't count them, I might start, I focus more on protein), or what-not.

NoMore B.
on 9/4/11 9:32 am
 I lost just about 150 pounds in the course of 15 or so months.  I noticed people with less to lose can lose it all fairly quickly - HOWEVER, I've also seen many here say they lost well into the second year or longer.  

It's not a race.  I think the more important way to look at it is how has your rate of weight loss been?  Are you continuing to lose every month (even if it's slowed down).  If you are still losing, I wouldn't be concerned about it
Emily F.
on 9/4/11 10:02 am
I was only bmi 43 but I get over 200 g protein a day. 100 is a little on the low side. It wouldn't hurt to up that.
s00zy66
on 9/4/11 4:26 pm - TX
I'm only 2 months out and can't imagine 200 grams of protein a day when I can't even been able to get in 60 grams.  How do you do it?  I know that I won't be able to do that right off the bat, but would like some advice on getting more. 

Thanks!

Suzy
    HW / SW / CW / GW          348 / 327 / 175/ 140          Jan11 / Jun11 / Sep12 /

Jolly Rancher
on 9/4/11 8:09 pm
Throw in a few protein shakes. Make them with only about 4oz of water. Hold your nose, and down the hatch. It's basically one or two swallows, and 30g of protein is done (depending on your scoop size). Treat it like medicine!
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
newyorkbitch
on 9/4/11 9:43 pm
Time.
Elizabeth N.
on 9/4/11 10:05 am - Burlington County, NJ
I had 240 pounds to lose, was down 100 at around 4 months, 185-ish at one year, and all 240 by month 26.

If I were in your shoes, I would push the protein-carb ratio more in favor of protein and I would focus on building lean muscle mass through both aerobic and weight bearing exercise.

a_new_mii
on 9/4/11 3:30 pm, edited 9/4/11 3:32 pm - AZ
 My high weight was 445 and surgery weight was 417. My goal is 175.  I'd really
like to get down to around 145, but if I can make it to 175 and not lose another pound, I'd be ok with that.  I've lost a total of 148 from HW and 120 since surgery. So I still have at least 120 lbs to go.
  I shoot for 125g protein everyday and keep my carbs below 50.  I hope it doesn't come back and bite me in the ass.  I know when I've lost weight  on Atkins before, when I started introducing carbs back into my diet I gained it all back plus!    I'm hoping that after I reach goal, I'll be able to eat around 100g of carbs. I would be completely happy with that.  It's going to be a lot tougher if I have to stay at less than 50g FOREVER!  :(

Join us here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi ~~❁~Ginger~~~
The beginning of a whole new world.              
HW-445
   SW-417    CW-162  GW-175            

PattyL
on 9/5/11 3:56 am
 Here's what life and time has taught me.  Those with a lot to lose will not get there effortlessly.  To be truly successful, you will have to work to get there.  You get to decide and if still fat but not awful is OK with you just go along with the flow.  If not, it's time to get down to business.

Here's how you do it.  You diet and exercise.  And post DS, it will work even if you have had dismal results before.  The good news is that you will be able to maintain after all is said and done.  It's simple, the idea is to get in all your protein while taking in as little as possible.  It's NOT about 'how much can I eat?'  It is all about how little can I eat and still get my protein in?

I cringe when I read about people trying to eat more.  There are some who can eat whatever and still end up thin.  There are many people, especially those who started out with a lot to lose, who will end up still fat if they follow in these folks footsteps.  Protein plus whatever will not work for a huge number of us.

MOST have about 2 years to lose relatively easily.  It does get harder after that.  But it is never impossible.  Over time you will lose more slowly.  The ideal is probably to be at around 75% of your weight gone by the end of the first year.  If you aren't there, it's time to change your mindset.

How little can I eat is important.  Next is just lose the weight now and worry about carbs, losing too fast, and all the other excuses AFTER you reach your goal.  After you reach your goal, worry about how much you can eat.  Just lose the weight.  You will sort out the rest later.  And later comes faster than you think.  Losing should be job one till it's all gone.

Lose now, play later!
Mommy2006
on 9/5/11 1:00 pm
Thanks.
I think the "it's not a race" was something I needed to hear.

I've definitely been re-thinking as far as protein numbers go. I can get to 100 without shakes, to do more I think I'd need to do shakes or bar. But at 5'11 my guess is I probably do need slightly more protein that I'd thought, and heck I'm just glad I had you guys so I didn't listen to the NUT who told me I didn't need more than 70. And as far as carbs go, I do try to always be aware of them, even if not actively counting. But I signed up for MyFitnessPal so I can track them, too.

Emily - do you do 200 from all food? Food and shakes?

I am definitely throwing "regular" exercise into the mix now that summer and lazy pool days and amusement parks are over. Joining the Y! and hoping to do water aerobics. I'd also like to get a bike and start biking with my daughter. (I rode one at Wal-Mart for the first time in over a decade yesterday.)

I want to get to goal. Well actually I'd like to get to 200, which is 20 above goal, heh. I'd be fine with that! I'm 5'11 and will undoubtedly need plastics.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 373 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 824 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views