Did your surgeon have a back up plan?

butercup
on 9/21/11 4:35 pm - Kennewick, WA
Did your Surgeon have a back up plan? As in, if he or she couldn't for some reason do a DS did he say he'd do a medial RNY? My surgeon showed me that today, it kind of freaked me out. He said the chances are very slim to none that we'll have to do it, but he wants to have a contingency plan in place.
NoMore B.
on 9/21/11 4:46 pm
I knew from prior abdominal surgery that I had a mess of adhesions inside me.   I discussed this with my surgeon ahead of time so we would be in agreement on what would happen if he ran into difficulty during my DS.   We discussed if that were the case would it be better to do just the sleeve, or to convert to open, if he had to.  He assured me that he could count on one hand the number of times he had to convert to an open DS in all the years he's been doing them, and we both decided that if that's what needed to happen that's what he would do.  The RNY was never an option.

My DS ended up taking over 6 hours because of the adhesions, but I did have the full DS done laproscopically.
MajorMom
on 9/21/11 6:52 pm - VA
No way. Dr E said if he ran into problems the solution was to convert to open and finish the DS.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

newyorkbitch
on 9/21/11 8:24 pm
NO WAY.

Say no.
provolisa
on 9/21/11 9:13 pm - Provo, UT
I haven't even MET my surgeon yet, but I know from the informational seminar that the backup plan is an open DS!
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

sdld2001
on 9/21/11 9:39 pm - Summerville, SC
The only alternate we discussed is that it was possible that he could have to convert to open DS if he were to find something unexpected. He said that it was a very very rare situation that would end that way. We never discusssed converting to RNY as a 2nd choice. If I woke up with an RNY I would have been LIVID! I wouldn't agree to that. I'd rather he just close me up and I'd get a 2nd opnion from someone else later down the road.
Mindee

HW - 274 / SW - 265 / CW - 178 / GW 140          High BMI 53.5 / Current BMI 34.8  
fradcliff
on 9/21/11 10:03 pm
DS on 01/25/11 with
Sounds like a possible "Bait & NOT Switch"  please do not settle for less than the best!!

Open DS is better than a RNY !!

I had an open DS and was back to work in three weeks.

no_more_rolls
on 9/21/11 10:26 pm, edited 9/21/11 10:27 pm - Jackson, MI
Yes my surgeon had a back up plan, but it was only if my liver was too badly damaged because of a history of auto-immune hepatitis (related to the lupus I have).  My surgeon planned to do a VSG (sleeve) if he could not do the DS.  If the sleeve was done, we would have monitored the condition of my liver over time to see if I became a candidate for the DS (in 2 stages).  Luckily, that did not have to happen.  

Imo, I would only want a sugeon to perform WLS on me if he was willing to try for the DS.  If for whatever reason (due to your health issues, anatomy, adhesions, etc.) he can't do the DS and he's only will do a RNY as a backup instead of the VSG (sleeve)...I would question his skill and seek another surgeon.

~Roxy

Oh I just noticed your surgery is scheduled for today!  I hope all goes well and wish you a speedy and uneventful recovery 
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

newyorkbitch
on 9/21/11 10:45 pm
Your surgery is today and yesterday was the first time you ever had that discussion with your surgeon?????

Woah.

larra
on 9/22/11 12:55 am - bay area, CA
If you aren't under the knife yet...

tell your surgeon NO WAY on the RNY, that the back up would be either sleeve (with switch to come at a later date) or open DS, or whatever else is acceptable to you. You can even write "no gastric bypass" on the consent form.
     Best wishes to you for a safe and SUCCESSFUL surgery today!

Larra
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 333 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 799 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 268 views