Eyes/mind bigger than new stomach

edeldog13
on 9/25/11 6:47 am - MO
Pre-surgery I read that one of the difficulties may be that the smaller portion sizes can be hard to psychologically adjust to.
My questions are: How did you handle the head telling you smaller portions aren't enough?
                                 Does your brain just adapt as time goes by and the weight loss 
                                 increases?
Thanks for any feedback.
Elizabeth N.
on 9/25/11 7:00 am - Burlington County, NJ
Therapy.

goodkel
on 9/25/11 7:31 am
What EN said.

You HAVE to listen to your stomach and not your head. If you don't, your stomach will assert itself by kicking out the excess.  

Take small bites and wait a few minutes in between bites to give it time to settle and for your stomach to send you the "enough" signal.

Eventually you'll be able to eyeball what a portion means to you.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

no_more_rolls
on 9/25/11 8:18 am - Jackson, MI
I admit I've put too mu*****food and liquids) post-op and suffered the consequences too. 
You will learn soon enough.  Try using a small child size plate to put your food on...like the size you would use for a normal dessert, side salad, or dinner roll.  Don't fill it up completely either!  Just doing that has helped me tremendously!
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

NoMore B.
on 9/25/11 9:47 am
 You will adjust, but it takes a long time.  Now when I look at a large, restaurant sized plate of food I feel queasy and cant ever imagine myself eating that much.

What you need to do, especially early out, is take one bite at a time, and let it settle.  Your stomach will tell you if you're ready for another one or if you need to stop.  Full feels different - you could feel it like a tightness in the base of your throat, a runny nose, even hiccups are what some people tell.  Take your time, and really decide if you want/need another bite.
(deactivated member)
on 9/25/11 10:25 am
I'm just 6 months out, but still adjusting. The funny thing is, my husband adjusted almost immediately. He'd tell me there was too much on my plate, or just the right amount  - and he's always right!
edeldog13
on 9/25/11 12:22 pm - MO
Thanks everyone. If it becomes a problem I will see a therapist.
I appreciate the advice....slow eating especially.  I'm 1 month out today, so I'm just a baby
DS. You all are great helps. Thanks
Janet P.
on 9/25/11 9:16 pm
Don't use a dinner plate. At home I eat off of a 7-inch plate or a small bowl, which helps with portion sizes. Been doing this for years and still do. It really helped me.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

ann M.
on 9/26/11 3:09 am - Northern, VA
At a month out I had 4 oz bowls I used.  It would usually take me pretty close to a half hour just to get through the food in that bowl.  Slow is key.

SW / BMI / SIZE:  312 / 49.5 / 26-28W         CW / BMI / SIZE:  159.1 / 25.1/ 10-12 
I need to lose about 2 more pounds for a normal BMI .  I still seem to be slowly losing at over 2 yrs out...so may get there yet.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 354 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 813 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views