Carb limit?

halblingefrau
on 9/30/11 1:04 am - Flagstaff, AZ
The general consensus is 50g of carbs or less.  THAT I can deal with.  I've tried the carb balance tortillas and I really like them.  Still, my restriction is so tight it's rare I ever use them. 

Right now I'm mostly eating dairy and meats, but I think I'll add another protein shake during the day and have some of my much-craved cherry tomatoes and some crackers.  I've been trying to get most of my protein in via food (I'm around 80g a day at less than 60 days out from surgery) which leaves very little room for things like veggies or the occasional cracker. 

Elizabeth N.
on 9/30/11 1:11 am - Burlington County, NJ
I didn't do the strict carb limiting stuff. What I did was to commit myself to eating the entire meal's worth of protein before I touched any carbs. Being full then automatically limited my carb intake.

And if I really WANTED something, I had it. I sometimes discovered that what I wanted was NOT good for me, so I learned from experience (most of the time; see the Evil Huckleberry Milkshake Episode) and knocked those things off the list.

Kayla B.
on 9/30/11 1:34 am - Austin, TX
I can't quite tell whether the goal is to decrease bloating or increase weight loss.  Or both.

For bloat, sometimes it's not exactly how many you eat over the course of the day, but often how many you eat at one time and what exactly the food is.  We seem to have different food intolerances.  Some people get GI distress from fruit, I did fine.  Some can't eat candy, some can't eat bread, some can't do sugar/flour mixtures (cookies, pies).  Some people don't have any intolerances.  So...in that respect, it's trial and error and determining what bothers you, and in what amounts.

As far as weight loss is concerned, I just tried to never eat a meal that had more than 50% carbs as it did protein.  So...meal with 30g protein couldn't have more than 15g carb.  It was just a natural way to limit carbs, and I do kinda still follow this pattern now, but I am more lax with it.  So, when it came to eating crackers or tortillas, I forced myself to make them really stuffed or covered with protein.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
halblingefrau
on 9/30/11 3:38 am - Flagstaff, AZ
Those are all really good ideas.  I also make sure I eat all my protein before I touch a carb (and usually find I have no room left for the carbs).

I'm trying to think of some more lunch ideas because 2 turkey meatballs is getting really old.  I'm loving the idea of some chunks of ham or turkey breast and a few whole wheat crackers.

As far as carb cravings, I find the only thing I actually have to remind myself to moderate is bread.  I haven't had any sourdough bread mostly because I don't trust myself to not get sick eating too much.  I don't crave sugary sweets.  In fact, a handfull of cherry tomatoes last night tasted better than I remember candy tasting.

I do very little measuring of my meals at this point.  I have a good eye for how much capacity I have.  In fact, the only food measuring I do is to count the protein and carb amounts.

I hit a stall early out that I blame on myself becoming a little lax in the water intake department.  I'm back up to 48oz minimum and working to take in more every day.  Hopefully the weight loss will pick up again since I'm still so early out.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 614 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 977 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 332 views