Carb limit?

halblingefrau
on 9/28/11 2:53 am - Flagstaff, AZ
I'm in the weight loss phase of my DS and I'm wondering how many carbs is too many.  Obviously any amount that makes me feel bloated is way too many.  But I think I've been a little bit of a carb nazi lately, limiting myself to 15g a day.  I see a lot of others on this board enjoying whole grain crackers or whole grain bread/tortillas.

Am I being a little carb psycho?  I'm more than happy eating eggs and bacon for breakfast, but sometimes I just want to make it into a burrito or something.

Renee2007
on 9/28/11 3:17 am, edited 9/28/11 3:17 am - Central, FL
 Mission makes low carb tortillas. For me personally, too many carbs were when my scale stopped moving in the downward direction. I had toast and the occasional cracker or chip or cookie while I was losing but I just used my scale as my guide. Always making absolutely sure that i got in my protein goals everyday made it not so easy to over do it on the carbs. I still am using the same philosophy while maintaining at 3.5 years out.

Edited for typos =)

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

teachmid
on 9/28/11 3:18 am - OKC, OK
I try and keep my carbs below 50 per day. Can't imagine 15 because I drink 2-3 protein shakes a day and they contan some carbs.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Julie R.
on 9/28/11 3:57 am - Ludington, MI
I aimed for around 30 at first, maybe for the first four months or so.... then went to 50.   When I hit a normal BMI, I went to 100, but it was too hard to get all of my protein in at that point.  Now, I have no problem getting in all my protein, PLUS the carbs, LOL.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

airbender
on 9/28/11 4:24 am
we are all a little different, but a good carb limit for maximum weight loss per day is 50/day.  you will get to know you body and be able to titrate your carb limit when you are done losing the weight you want....
yorkieGal
on 9/28/11 4:31 am - Clermont, FL
Hi, I never counted them per se but I was very strict abiout it while losing, just doing my best to keep them as low as possible. I have always eaten low carb tortillas and wraps and dreamfields pasta (after the first 3-4 months). I have always avoided and continue to try and avoid , chips, candy and liquid sugar like soda, juice, milkshakes etc.

My days at 3.5 yrs out usually consist of bacon and cheese in a low carb wrap or creamy scrambled eggs for breakfast, a salad or some low carb leftovers for lunch, snacks of salami, cheese, pepperoni, boiled eggs and then for dinner I usually make something low carb with ground beef or chicken, often in the crock pot. I try and have at least one shake a day usually in the form of a protein iced coffee.
I have maintained my weight loss but am struggling with about 5lbs regain from a 3 week vacation home in England but Just by low carbing and walking last week I lost 3lbs even at this point in my journey.

I agree with Renee, try slowly introducing one new low carb thing a day for a week, see how the scale responds and then tweak!!

yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

Chad M.
on 9/28/11 4:32 am - Indianapolis, IN
You have a lot of weight to lose, as I did. I basically didn't eat any for about the first year--just the trace amounts that were in whatever high-protein foods I ate. But, I allowed myself days to splurge here and there. Any time I ate out, which I didn't do a lot of during that year, I would eat whatever I wanted (but always getting in plenty of protein).
no_more_rolls
on 9/29/11 7:49 am - Jackson, MI
I was told but the NUT in my surgeon's office to keep carbs between 50 and 75 a day.  If I eat 50 carbs or more a day my digestive system wreaks havoc on me...so I try to keep my carb count about 30 grams.
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

(deactivated member)
on 9/29/11 4:34 pm
I think the amount of carbs one can or cannot tolerate is in correlation with the length of the common channel, and how long the food is exposed to the biliopancratic enzymes.  I have 75 cm to get the job done - the minimum length my surgeon will do.  I think the longest, according to the literature, is 110 cm.

So, the length of time the food mixes with the enzymes, which break down the food into usable chemicals, would result in more or less unpleasant GI effects. I think that's why many surgeons will no longer do a CC  shorter than 75 cm.  The shorter the CC, the less digestion, the more unpleasant effects, even with trace carbs in higher protein foods, and higher risks of malnutrition.
(deactivated member)
on 9/29/11 3:59 pm
My surgeon's guideline was less than 50 daily.  If you take into consideration that veggies are complex carbs, if you include too many, you're going to get a similar gastric effect that you get with simple carbs.  Everything we eat breaks down into some form of sugar, or needs sugar to metabolize. It's what our cells like to eat for energy to perform all the different processes in our bodies. Different combinations behave diffferently depending on what body function they're supporting.

Since our food is only partially broken down in our common channels, the results present themselves in the form of methane in the large bowel.

Again...I'm not a medical professional..yet.  I'm a student taking science prerequsites before I get into my Dietetics classes.  My ultimate goal is to be a Registered Dietitian specializing in Bariatrics...particularly nutrition for WLS
post-ops.  Even the other WLS's  have issues, but at least I'll be one who understands the DS diet!
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 352 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 808 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 270 views