IV Fluids!!

Diane Davis
on 9/28/11 4:13 am
I went in and had a banana bag and some IV Fluids yesterday morning, and OMGosh, I can't  how much better I feel!  I knew I felt bad, but didn't realize how bad off I was. While I was getting the banana bag, I began to feel thirsty and asked for a cup of decaf coffee.  The nurse brought me a large cup of decaf and a cup of cheddar cheese cubes. I drank all of the coffe while recieving my fluids and a 1/2 more, and ate all of the cheese cubes.  I hadn't been able to eat or drink for two days, I couldn't believe it!

This all started 3 weeks ago when I was put on Keflex for an incisional wound infection.  I was sick for a week on the Keflex until they finally took me off of it at the end of the week.  From that point on, I had lost my taste for all foods and fluids and struggled daily to get my intake until I couldn't tolerate anything by mouth anymore, not even my prescription meds.  I must have gotten dehydrated that week I was on the Keflex and just kept going downhill from that point on.

I will never, ever, let myself get that bad again.  I just thought I could "fix" the dehydration on my own, I should have listened to EN last week!

To all newbies and anyone else who ends up ill and has to go a few days with decreased intake, dehydration is no laughing matter, and don't be bullheaded like I was and try to fix it yourself.  Once you're dehydrated, it's almost impossible to regain your hydration on your own.  GO GET FLUIDS!!!  It's so worth it.

I can actually taste things again which I haven't been able to do for 3 weeks, and things taste good to me.  I have my thirst and hunger back, which feels very good!

Thank you everyone for all of your valuable advice and support, I wouldn't have made it without all of you!
 My  is Jewels.  Love her very much!            
airbender
on 9/28/11 4:19 am
it sounds like you are now getting over this hump in your recovery, hoping smooth sailing for you.....keep drinking
Diane Davis
on 9/28/11 4:23 am
Thanks Airbender!  I really do appreciate all of the support and advice you have given me, it helped so much!
Chad M.
on 9/28/11 4:33 am - Indianapolis, IN
I'm so glad to hear this! Keep on sipping!
Diane Davis
on 9/28/11 4:37 am
Thanks Chad!  I had planned to come to the support meeting last night, but was still too weak from the dehydration to make it.  Was it a good crowd?
Imissthe80s
on 9/28/11 6:53 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Do you guys welcome pre-ops to your meeting? Can you direct to meeting info.?

Chad M.
on 9/28/11 7:21 am, edited 9/27/11 7:21 pm - Indianapolis, IN
Yes, anyone is welcome and there are often pre-ops in the group. It is the 4th Tuesday of each month at St. Vincent's Carmel. Jessica P on here (or on facebook) can get you on her reminder list. If you can't find her (check my friends list) then send me a PM and I'll forward it to her for you.

EDIT: Tuesday, not Thursday!

Chad M.
on 9/28/11 7:00 am - Indianapolis, IN
Pretty good size group last night. Sorry you didn't feel up to it but hope to see you at one soon!
teachmid
on 9/28/11 4:41 am - OKC, OK
Diane,
I'm so glad you're feeling better. The difference is amazing, isn't it.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Diane Davis
on 9/28/11 4:45 am
All I can say is, OH MY!  I'm in shock at how much better I feel!
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 337 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 801 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 268 views