Alcohol and transfer addiction: My story

Piliper
on 9/28/11 11:01 am
 Let this serve as a warning for newbies and those considering surgery. Addiction is the reason I got to 383 lbs. At 152 lbs now, it's hard to remember what food addiction was like. I don't "crave" food as I used to. However, "addiction" and the desire to fill empty areas of your life with "something" is and has always been very real for me.

I'm about 17 months out and have never regretted my surgery for a minute. I've been very successful and have little to no issues post-op. The weight fell right off and I've maintained well. However, in recent months I began to suffer with alcohol dependency. I read about transfer addiction on this site pre and post surgery, but never gave it much credence. Boy, I was wrong. 

Two nights ago I was laying in bed at 3 am wide-awake and began thinking about my drinking. I never worried because I would only drink a beer or two, or a glass or two of wine. But, I realized that I was doing it every night. The tricky thing is that this is all it takes to get me loopy and pretty buzzed. So, my wife didn't think much of it as I really wasn't drinking that much... for a normal person.

Luckly, I came to this realization and had to put some strict parameters around alcohol. I don't want to ever be addicted to alcohol as I've seen what it has done to family members. It honestly scares me to death. 

Please take this as a warning and if you notice that you're struggling with this post op be very careful. I'm going to seek some counseling to try and reconcile my addictive tendencies. I'm not too naive to realize that I'll look somewhere else to transfer my addictive behaviors. 

SW: 383 GW: 180 CW: 157

August10
on 9/28/11 12:06 pm - LA
 I think it is commendible that you have discovered this about yourself and are taking steps to get the help you need.  I appreciate that you were willing to share your story to help new dsers avoid the traps you fell into.  Thank you so much.
Diane Davis
on 9/28/11 3:35 pm
Awesome post, thank you!
 My  is Jewels.  Love her very much!            
KarenFlorida
on 9/28/11 9:55 pm - Orlando, FL
Thank you for posting this! Important info for all WLS patients.

Karen
yorkieGal
on 9/29/11 12:37 am - Clermont, FL

This is such an important post - I think it should be required reading for all new post ops.
Addiction is one sneaky customer - you think you got it licked and then it creeps back in under another disguise, alcohol, exercise, drugs...compulsive and impulsive behaviour.

I think this is so important and I am seriously considering this topic as the basis for my post grad thesis. Surgeons do not look for this problem, they do their job, they surgically alter us and we lose weight...job done.
Unfortunately, how many of us have the time and money for preventative therapy during the weight loss phase. We are literally "high" on the weight loss and once this tails off and there are less "wow's", the void widens again, then as in your case, just a couple of glasses gives us a buzz, no harm done right? except its the frequency and habitual or ritualised nature of these behaviours that alerts us to the fact that this is becoming a problem.

In my case, I too was terrified of this happening to me so I avoided alcohol for the longest time post op.
I knew that the combination my weight stabilising and the novelty of being slim wearing off a bit, losing my husband to suicide and living alone for the 1st time as an adult (we were high school sweethearts) up to my neck in debt that hubby left was a recipe for a transfer addiction. I refused the sleep medication and tranquilisers the doc offered me and I didnt drink at all for a year.....just in case. But I am aware that this is always part of my nature and I self monitor my attitude to things like exercise etc also.
A psychiatrist friend of mine told me once that People who eat the same things for days at a time till they are sick of it, or buy a new song on Itunes and listen to it till they can no longer stand it, or exercise compulsively for a few weeks till they get bored are "compulsive/addictive" types and should always be aware of this when making choices and I think in my case, this is so true.

I think its great that you raised this and I think that the more this topic is discussed, the more people will feel they can get help and understand that this is not unusual or a character flaw.

Hugs to you

Yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

looking4loss
on 9/29/11 4:08 am - Overton, NE
Thank you, thank you, thank you, for posting your experience.  I posted my lighthearted comment
earlier this week about no more hangovers post-DS, but also that I am confronted with this
transfer addiction issue myself. 

I memorized these boards as a pre-op, but not once did I read up on anything relating to the transfer addiction issue.  I drank alcohol before, but not overdoing it.  Now, I'm just like you.  I have a couple a night, and on weekends, it's a free-for-all.  My friends and family have started
commenting on it, so I know that it's time to face reality. 

So good for you in facing reality also.  Hopefully we can face this issue head on and gain control of it before it takes control of us.  Good luck to you!

Sarah
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 682 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1005 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 338 views