Considering DS surgery in Texas

M. Miller
on 10/11/11 1:12 am

Its long...sprry!

So..I have considered WLS for over 2 years, of course initially thinking about lap band ...seemed less invasive, easy way out.  That is until I started researching and then experiencing friends lap bands that had failed and had to be taken out.  A friend of a very good friend's complications went as far as infection around the band in her stomach that requried removal of most of her stomach.  So then I naturally started considering gastric bypass. "The Gold Standard" but again the idea of the dumpping syndrome intimidated me, and once I started doing research and read about the sleeve and the DS several thougths went through my head:

·        IF I am going to have someone re plumbing me I might as well go for the whole kit and kaboodle, the post op complications and requirements for DS and RNY seemed comparable

·        well...the sleeve looks like a good compromise, but again, the thougth that goes through my mind is that if they are in there might as well shoot for the full monty (I am kind of the all or nothing kind of gal), plus with my excess weight, it appears I am most likely to be successful with DS

·        well the  RNY is the gold standard and performed most.

Well then I started asking around, two teachers at my children's school...the sleeve.  A man I work with and his wife...the RNY, another lady I work with the lap band (already not an option). Then there is Al roker.....

I am 40, two children under 9, an amazing husband who will support anything I choose. I am 5' and SMO with a BMI of 51.8 (ok so 52).  No co morbidities as of yet (or as of Feb this year when I had my annual physical).  I engage in exercise 4-6 times a week, I jog/walk each session around  3 miles,with one 5 mile long session  and also strength train.  But, my knees, and most recently my hips hurt.  I have a family history of diabetes (I myself had gestational diabetes with my second child 7 years ago)  and High Blood pressure, so I know it is just a matter of time, and I really want to make sure I am around for my family for a long time.  I know what this excess weight does to your heart and lungs....I wont keep winning hte lottery as far as those co morbidities are concerned indefinitely. 

So my next step was picking  a doctor, well my insurance requires a Bariatric Center of Excellence, but when I started researchign what it takes to become one of those, it seemed like it was just fuilling out a lot of paperwork.  Yea, excellence is a great goal but anyone can doctor up paperwork of needed. I originally made my initial consultation with a doc here in Denton who is a Bariatric Center of Excellence, but quickly asked all those people I know what doc they used, and all of them..hands  down, used another doctor, and when I asked why they chose this Dr they hands down said experience.   So I switched my inmitial consultation to this doc (it’s Doctor Stewart). I am lucky that I work for a place that has  more than a few insurance choices so I can switch plans next month so that he is covered, in the meantime Dr. Stewart and I are proceeding as if that is the insurance company I will be  using as far as all the pre op requirements that have to be met. 

Dr. Stewart and I ahd a ogn discussion regarding the different chocies, and I agree, based on the amount of weigth I have to lose and the track record the DS looks liekt he best choice.  I am using the next 4 months (the period I have to uidnergo the medically supervised weigth loss program) to research DS, which is how I found this forum.  

Although some of the posts scare the hell out of me (ie the lady who lost her friend due to WLS), bowel obstruction surgeries, abscesses, posts of feeling like crap for 3 months after surger and throwing up a lot, the best I can tell these sorty of complication are not that commong..am I right? 

More questions:

·          How many vites are you all taking  daily, which ones

·          what has been  the biggest suprprise after surgery,

·          what has been  the toughest thing to deal with,

·          is there anyone out there that would not do it again given your experience or complications (seems like most of you are huge advocates). 

·          How many taken iron infusions, how often?  Did you all have anemia problems before surgery? 

Another question, did any of you switch PCP’s after surgery?  I already do not like my PCPO, he has too much of a Laissez Faire attitude for me, and this is before soemthign as major as weigth loss surgery.  

Just workign this all out for me….any input advice is greatly appreciated.

Elizabeth N.
on 10/14/11 1:44 am - Burlington County, NJ
Hi and welcome! You've landed with an outstanding surgeon who enjoys a terrific reputation here.

I would like to invite you to spend some time reading a few pages of this forum. The vast majority of your questions are common ones and discussed frequently, so you'll see a lot of input. 

NoMore B.
on 10/11/11 1:52 am, edited 10/11/11 2:19 am
 I think you have made an excellent choice with Dr Stewart, and lucky for you he has a great group of patients that are regular posters here.  I'm sure they'll chime in when they read this.

I went through a similar contemplation period with my DS.  With your starting BMI and risk of diabetes I strongly believe it is the best choice for you as well.

To answer some of your questions from my perspective:

How many vites take a day?
I follow something close to what you will read here as the "Vitalady" plan.  Vitalady is a WLS person herself, who knows her supplements better than anyone else I can think of.  She put together plans based on surgery type which are a good starting point.  The reason why I say starting point is that you really have to become an expert at monitoring your own labs and making adjustments.  (Dont worry about that, there is plenty of help here).  For me, I take about 18 pills a day that include: Calcium, Vitamin D, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, MultiVitamins, B Complex, and Magnesium.  I diont take iron but I am no longer menstruating so I'm not deficient there.  The important thing to know is that your vitmamin needs may change over time, so it's better to plan for the worse and manage from there.  I would take 100 pills a day if I had to if it meant keeping my DS healthy and maintaining my weight.  The trade off is a no-brainer.

Biggest surprise after surgery?
In the immediate post op period I would say that the surgery was much more intense than I had imagined.  I had surgery before (hysterectomy, gallbladder removal), and those were nothing compared to my DS.  It wasn't necessarily pain, but more of a hit by a truck feeling.  Even getting fluids in was a full time difficult job.  Dont worry too much about that, it gets better quickly, and it's worth it.  

After the immediate post op period the biggest surprise to me was how easy it was to lose weight.  Lving with the DS is unlike any diet you've ever been on.  You walk around feeling not just satisfied, but mostly Thanksgiving day stuffed in the beginning - and the weight falls off.  I was shocked at how quick and easy it was during the initial weight loss phase.

Toughest thing to deal with?
For me, I didnt have any physical issues, but I did struggle with some emotional issues related to massive weight loss.  Change in relationships with my family, body dsymorphia, things like that.  I wasn't expecting any of that.  I've had to do a lot of soul searching the past two years.

Any regrets, or wouldnt do it again?
Absolutely none for me.  I've heard it said before and i"ll repeat it - I would do it once a year if I had to.

No infusions for me, but I would get them if I had to.

And yes PCP support is so important.  One of our DS'ers here is also an MDin Texas, and a patient of Dr Stewar'ts - I dont know where he is located in relationship to you, but how lucky if you have that option. I would become his patient in a heartbeat if I were in the area.

M. Miller
on 10/11/11 2:57 am
JOanne...I would guess whether DS, RNY or even the sleeve you would feel like you got hit by a truck. I guess that is what scares me the most..that immediate time after surgery.  When you say it gets better quickly (in regards to getting fluids in) how quickly?  Only surgeries here are gall bladder and C Section...and well..I was pretty much a baby after the gall bladder surger...C section i recovered quickly, but had not shcoice as I suffered a loss in my family 5 dayss after C-section that made me recover fast.

Elizabeth,t hanks for the heads up, I use different email addresses for social networkingg sites than I do for other things just for that reason
NoMore B.
on 10/11/11 3:35 am
 I've seen some people bounce back quickly, so it really depends on the healing capbilities of your body, your health status, age, etc.

I was 46 when I had my DS, and weighed about 290 pounds.  The full time job about getting fluids in was hard to wrap my head around because I had always been a water drinker.  I was contstantly drinking some type of water or tea.  But after surgery your stomach is going to be raw, swollen, and healing.  Little sips will be about all you can handle, so you will have to picture yourself drinking a gallon of fluids one tiny sip at a time.  Combine that with feeling like you want to sleep, and you will see how basically for a week or two it's a struggle to keep awake and sip all you can.  I found what worked for me was to set mini goals throughout the day - for example - 20 oz by 10am, 40 oz by 2pm...that was the only way I could stay on track.  But in the beginning weeks your life is just that - resting, sipping and walking.

I turned a corner to feeling better at around two weeks.  Before that I could barely muster the energy to standi in the shower and wash my own hair.  Not everyone has it that bad, but I would say prepare for the worst and anything else is just an improveemnt.

By about two weeks I was up and puttering around the house, and it got better from there.  Mind you, it wasn't pain I was experiencing - just weakness.  There is also an adjustment as you get used to your fluid and protein requirements and finding what works for you.  Your whole life the first month or so is about adjusting and healing.

I know many people who went back to work at 2-3 weeks, so my recovery was more on the slow side.  

I always tell people that recovering from my DS was harder than I had thought, but that living with it is MUCH easier than I had anticipated.  The recovery lasts weeks, but living with it is for the rest of my life so I'm thrilled to be on that side of the equation.
Elizabeth N.
on 10/11/11 11:26 am - Burlington County, NJ
It generally takes 6-8 weeks to recover from any abdominal surgery.

You will have to really, really concentrate on hydrating yourself when you get out of the hospital. Fluids are a LOT more important than anything else early out.

BeagleMama
on 10/11/11 4:02 am
shona635 and Joanne,

That is exactly what I did - I chose Dr. Stewart two years ago, and I recently began working with a new PCP in Lubbock who is the above-referenced DS patient, and is married to a DS patient as well. Both of these successful DS-folks frequent this board, giving great support and accurate information for all of us to learn from.

I am grateful to God everyday for bringing the two great doctors into my life. I will get "there" - to the Dark Side, and it will be 100% the correct surgery and correct support for me in battling my obesity once and for all!

Joanne -- thanks for ALL you have done and continue to do for this DS community. Can't wait to get me some HAWT LEGS like you have! You look stunning!
BeagleMama
* Gail R *
on 10/11/11 3:38 am - SF Bay Area, CA
I am so happy you found the DS forum.  I suggest you spend a lot of time here learning and looking forward to your new and improved life. You must read DSfacts.com site from beginning to end. It is a wonderful resource.
One thing to remember is that people come to this forum with their problems seeking advice. There are many hundreds of readers but the posts are usually only made by people sharing some great news, asking question and looking for advice with problems. I used to post quite often but, now at two years out, I mostly just read and sometimes comment.
I am an "older" DS patient and my only regret is that it wasn't available to me many years ago.
-I started with the Vitalady plan, buying from her, Costco and where ever if find bargains. I have actually scaled back on some of the supplements after my labs and take some of them only two or three times a week. Calcium, multivits, vit D are especially important daily for me. It is no big deal, just a habit to get into. I used to take multiple meds for diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol, joint pain, GERD, IBS--all the need for those medications are now gone! I would much rather be taking dietary supplements!
-The biggest surprise was how quickly I lost weight after surgery
-Nothing has been all that tough. It did take me a long time to learn when I was full but not a problem really.
-I would do it again every year if I had to. It saved my life. I was having kidney and liver damage that is now resolved. No problems or complications. Remember I was 60! I has my gall bladder and appendix, and a hernia repair at the same time as the DS. My scars are hardly visible and healed quickly. Yes, it was painful but I did it with almost no pain medications. I had only a few available because of kidney and liver problems and they made me violently ill -vomiting is painful the days after surgery so I went without. It was doable and I was doing well within a couple of weeks. It does take a while to fully recover but, for me, it was so worth it!
      I seldom post anymore but your letter struck a real cord with me. I hope you follow through with this and enjoy the success and health that I have had as a result. Please come back to the forum and let us know how it is working out for you. Best of luck.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

shrinkingmandy
on 10/11/11 3:40 am
I take a strict vitamin program given to me by my Surgeon.  It's taylored to my individual needs.  He alters it based on my blood work every 3-4 months.  I actually hate sharing my vitamin program because EVERY time I ever have someone always complains that I am taking too much of something or not enough of something else.  I trust my surgical team to keep me healthy.  As long as my labs look awesome, I will stick with what's working. 

The biggest surprise after surgery is the fact that I have lost soooo much weight so fast and believe it or not, I just can't wrap my head around how skinny I've gotten.  I don't even recognize myself when I walk past a mirror.  I know this sounds strange, but it's happened so fast, that my brain just hasn't caught up to my body yet.  I still expect to see the 389 lb woman I once was.  It's crazy nuts!

The toughest thing for me to deal with has been the constant nausea and sickness I had the first 3-4 months.  It was horrible.  I was weak, felt hit by a truck, dog tired.  A tired I had never felt before.  A tired I couldn't explain and still can't other than I had NOTHING left in me within an hour of waking up every day for a few months.  Magically though with proper protein, proper vitamins and forcing fluids even when you think you can't take another sip, you just start finally getting your zip back.  The nausea was just like morning sickness.  I had it off and on all day long every day for at least 3 months almost four.  I puked and when I say puke I mean more like an urp at least 10 times a day in the beginning.  It was stressful and I thought I was doing something wrong, but honestly my Dr told me to just hang in there it would get better and you know what... it did!  I feel better now than I EVER have in my life.  I don't ever recall feeling this good. 

If I knew then what I know now, I WOULD do this again in a HEARTBEAT!!!  It's changed my life in only 8 months and I thank the lord daily for a second chance at normal!
Mandy
HW389/SW374/CW226
Lynda D.
on 10/13/11 10:30 am
On October 11, 2011 at 10:40 AM Pacific Time, shrinkingmandy wrote:
I take a strict vitamin program given to me by my Surgeon.  It's taylored to my individual needs.  He alters it based on my blood work every 3-4 months.  I actually hate sharing my vitamin program because EVERY time I ever have someone always complains that I am taking too much of something or not enough of something else.  I trust my surgical team to keep me healthy.  As long as my labs look awesome, I will stick with what's working. 

The biggest surprise after surgery is the fact that I have lost soooo much weight so fast and believe it or not, I just can't wrap my head around how skinny I've gotten.  I don't even recognize myself when I walk past a mirror.  I know this sounds strange, but it's happened so fast, that my brain just hasn't caught up to my body yet.  I still expect to see the 389 lb woman I once was.  It's crazy nuts!

The toughest thing for me to deal with has been the constant nausea and sickness I had the first 3-4 months.  It was horrible.  I was weak, felt hit by a truck, dog tired.  A tired I had never felt before.  A tired I couldn't explain and still can't other than I had NOTHING left in me within an hour of waking up every day for a few months.  Magically though with proper protein, proper vitamins and forcing fluids even when you think you can't take another sip, you just start finally getting your zip back.  The nausea was just like morning sickness.  I had it off and on all day long every day for at least 3 months almost four.  I puked and when I say puke I mean more like an urp at least 10 times a day in the beginning.  It was stressful and I thought I was doing something wrong, but honestly my Dr told me to just hang in there it would get better and you know what... it did!  I feel better now than I EVER have in my life.  I don't ever recall feeling this good. 

If I knew then what I know now, I WOULD do this again in a HEARTBEAT!!!  It's changed my life in only 8 months and I thank the lord daily for a second chance at normal!
 I remember trying to eat early out and burping and burping after every bite I took. It was embarrassing when I ate in public or at extended family outings. I'd have to sit with a napkin pressed to my mouth and try to be discreet. Ugh. 

First Surgery Date: November 5, 2005
Surgery Type: RNY--Proximal
Height: 5' 3"
Beginning Weight: 250 lbs.
Lowest Weight: 125 lbs.
Current Weight: 230 lbs. Seeking Revision to DS

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 780 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1064 views