Low Iron & Surgery in 15 days. Suggestions?

ashleynicole86
on 10/13/11 3:33 am - SC

I'm having a lower body lift and breast lift on October 28th.  Right now, my iron levels are as below:

IRON PROFILE
IRON                                        * 59           [60-180]           UG/DL
IRON BINDING                      * 491         [200-400]         ug/dl
PERCENT SATURATION    *  12.0       [14-55]               %
FERRITIN,SERUM                49              [20-300]           NG/ML
PTH INTACT                           44.1          [15.0-65.0]        pg/mL

My surgeon said I should be okay as long as I double/triple up on my iron starting now.  I'm currently taking 2 of the Cypress Iron brand (Polysaccharide-150mg Elemental) from Vitalady.com in the morning. Any suggestions?

Elizabeth N.
on 10/13/11 3:44 am - Burlington County, NJ
I've been through poor healing/tissue necrosis with reconstructive surgery, so I'm VERY gunshy about going in with less than excellent levels of everything possible. If I were in your shoes I'd be wanting infusions and would possibly reschedule the procedure.

Remember, if your iron levels are suboptimal, your blood cells are not going to carry any OTHER nutrients as well as they could, either. This affects every other nutrient.

FWIW my iron related stuff looked somewhat better than yours at the time, but not a lot. I really regret not being a lot more aggressive about this and the protein markers. I could have gone into that situation in better shape than I did.

I came out okay in the end, but it took a second surgery, and trust me, you do NOT want to experience the stench of your own dead flesh. UGH UGH UGH.

So that's me, erring on the side of nervousness and caution. Others will be along with their input shortly, I'm sure.

ashleynicole86
on 10/16/11 12:58 pm - SC
Thanks Elizabeth for the response. I definitely do not want to end up in that situation and it's certainly something to think about.
Renee2007
on 10/13/11 3:58 am - Central, FL
 Not sure if you saw this thread on the plastics board. Dr. L gives some really good information regarding this.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/plasticsurgery/4457771/sur ery-cancelled-and-getting-iron-infusions/

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

ashleynicole86
on 10/16/11 12:59 pm - SC
Thanks Renee!
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 333 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 799 views