Tell me honestly....

sara3
on 10/18/11 4:57 am
I hear you, I am a self confessed Diet soda addict. I recognize that it is not good for me but that is my rational brain talking. When you are dependant on something rationality simply does not come into it.

Having said that I did watch a Youtube video that really made me think. It demonstrates the impact soda can have on the body. Check out this link for a truly eye opening insight into the damage soda can have....

http://getfitslowly.com/2010/05/12/another-reason-to-avoid-diet-soda/

Above all you are not wrong... you are human... have compassion for yourself.
fullhousemom
on 10/21/11 11:49 am
Thanks for posting this link.  I knew diet pop was bad and my doctor has told me for a long time that I needed to stop.  However, I was never explained the concept of how your body must leech calcium, etc in order to "handle" the acidity of pop.  No pop for me again.  I'm a water drinker!  In college I drank water all the time.  Then I guess I got some money and could afford to buy pop.  No more.  I gave it up early September and don't miss it.  No more pop for my kids either!
callmeEJ
on 10/18/11 6:30 am - Minneapolis, MN
I'm 10 months out, and I drink diet soda or seltzer w/ sugar free syrup maybe once or twice a week. I don't crave it anymore like I used to. At first, it gave me horrendous gas and pain (I first tried it about 3 months out) but since about 6 months out I haven't had any issues w/ drinking it.
-EJ
"If television's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who won't shut up." -cat and girl

5'6" HW 325 / SW 317 / CW 214 / First Goal 190    |    Century Club 09/19/2011
hollyweasel
on 10/18/11 7:05 am - MI
I am two months out and I drank my last diet coke 24 hours before my surgery.  Seriously - and I made it count - 2 liters before I couldn't drink anything anymore. 

I have been drinking 5-9 cans of Diet Coke daily since I was in SIXTH grade in 1990.  Ever since the surgery, I don't miss it all.  

I haven't even tried it, but I don't have any craving for it like I used to, so even though you might now, see how you feel afterwards (I am assuming you haven't had the surgery).

I do drink crystal light, but ever since the surgery Asparamene is the only sweetner I can handle.  If I drink anything with stevia in it (like in Vitamin water) I get gut-wrenching pains.  Strangely, that and straight milk products are the only things that bother my stomach.

Hope this helps,
Holly

DS Surgery in Detroit Medical Center on 8/17/11.
Start Weight: 386 

NoMore B.
on 10/18/11 10:09 am
I'm not a big fan of soda, even as a pre-op, so that's not a big deal.  But I do like seltzer water and used to drink a ton of Perrier like drinks.

I avoided them for the first 6 months,  but drink them now on occassion.  The problem is even at almost two years out they fill me up fast and make me burp like crazy.
Mdae
on 10/18/11 12:02 pm
I drink diet soda.  I am going to try and switch to club soda with sugar free syrups and cream though.

Elizabeth N.
on 10/18/11 12:16 pm - Burlington County, NJ
I drink diet soda and/or club soda daily.

MsBatt
on 10/18/11 2:33 pm
Well, I certainly do drink carbonated beverages. Not all the time---I'm basically an iced-tea gal---but I do drink Coke sometimes when I eat out. (And I don't mean diet Coke, either!) I'm nearly eight years out, and I still have enough restriction that the bubbles sometimes bother me.
Valerie G.
on 10/19/11 11:58 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 I drink entirely too much diet coke each and every day.  It took me nearly 5 months before I could tolerate it, but only another 2 to bring my addiction back into full swing.  BTW - I'm 6 years post op.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/19/11 12:00 pm - Tuvalu

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 975 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1168 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 435 views