Tell me honestly....

allraindrops
on 10/18/11 12:34 am
How many DS'ers drink carbonated beverages, especially diet or seltzer water? I know that some people might yell because I think all surgeons say not to do it after weight loss surgery (although with the DS it's not like the same RNY pouch issue....) but how many do it anyway? I've had the band since 2006 and was only able to give up seltzer water for a few months....I know myself and although I KNOW i will be able to get in my vitamins, protein and exercise, I also know that I will probably not be able to stop drinking seltzer water and diet coke....thoughts? (and yelling at me for this is not going to help, I know I am in the wrong here and I know that some people are going to say if i'm not ready to give this up i'm not ready for surgery. Save it, not interested in being yelled at.

Thanks!
Sexyvt123
on 10/18/11 12:59 am
Well I'm not going to yell at you so dont worry.  I actually tried drinking a little bit of seltzer water and it does not sit well in your stomach.  So even if you love seltzer water and try to drink it you might not like the feeling it brings you.  Im only a month post op so I'm not sure how it will feel later on in my journey but for right now I'm just going to stay away from it because I dont want to feel that feeling ever again.  Hope that helps. 

Samaro ..
on 10/18/11 1:19 am, edited 10/18/11 1:20 am
I don't drink a lot of soda, in general.  Didn't before my DS.  Still don't very often.  However, when I do it doesn't bother my stomach.  I can't/don't gulp it and if it's extra carbonated I may have to drink it more slowly than before surgery, but otherwise I have no problem.

As an early post-op one of my go-to liquids was San Pellegrino with a bit of sugar-free Torani syrup in it for flavoring.  San Pellegrino has very mild carbonation and I did pour it over ice and let it "flatten" out a bit before drinking it but having that to drink made all the difference in the world with me being able to stay hydrated. 

The "no carbonation" rule tends to apply more to the RNY and Band than the DS.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)

edited: for typo 'cuz that's how I roll.

teachmid
on 10/18/11 2:07 am - OKC, OK
Before surgery I drank diet coke almost exclusively...at least 4-5 or more a day. My last diet coke was 12/13/11 (see I remember the date), 2 days before surgery. I occasionally miss the taste, but don't want to deal with the GI distress.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

mhiggins
on 10/18/11 2:48 am
I drink diet coke sometimes with no problems
Leslie is my Angel*
[[ m i s s y ]]

_Leslie_
on 10/18/11 2:59 am - Franklin, WI
I'm a Diet Soda Addict.

I drink 44oz of Diet Soda every morning. I have no issues drinking it at all.

HOWEVER, I did wait until I was 6 months post op to start drinking it... I wanted to be sure I was nice and healed up and able to get adequate water intake as well...

448|180|199   
5'10"  268 lbs gone!!
                     SW  CW  GW   

Duodenal Switch                                      
                                   Surgery Date: July 30, 2010                      

elixir
on 10/18/11 3:16 am, edited 10/18/11 3:16 am - MI
I drink soda whenever I feel like it. My daughter and I bought a soda-maker a few months before my surgery and I have a big glass of carbonated water with flavoring almost every day. I wasn't approved to have soda again until I was six weeks out. It doesn't cause any issues for me, however I do tend to avoid most store bought sodas as they are made with aspartame which upset my stomach right after surgery, but doesn't seem to bother me anymore, however I still prefer to make my own. 

I think the reason most people don't drink it isn't because they don't want to, it's because it makes them bloated or gassy if they do. I don't have that issue, but I would avoid it if I did. No one wants to sit around feeling miserable. You'll give it up if it hurts you. Or maybe you won't. Some people enjoy a little suffering.

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

Janet P.
on 10/18/11 4:21 am
I didn't touch anything carbonated for years. Probably within the last 3-4 years I do drink club soda (a little flat) and an occasional diet soda. I do notice that the diet soda bloats me badly so I only have maybe 1 a week.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

KarenFlorida
on 10/18/11 4:39 am - Orlando, FL
I didn't drink any soda for about 6 weeks after surgery and then tried Diet Coke. It went down and stayed down fine for me. I can drink diet Coke or other diet soda as often as I want to with no problems, as long as I don't drink too fast (Keeping in mind that it's not the healthiest choice).

Some people don't tolerate it well after surgery...everyone is different.

Karen
Join me! weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

DianaRR
on 10/18/11 4:45 am - CA
I drink diet coke--over ice and stirred to flatten it a bit. I don't use a straw, that seems to fill my stomach with gas.
I can't drink as much as I used to, so it seems a waste to spend the money for it in a restaurant.
I like water a lot better than I used to.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 682 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1005 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 338 views