Quick Survey-Back to work?

Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/30/11 1:56 am - Tuvalu

I'm retired and all that...but it too me every minute of elven weeks to feel human again.  Sorry.

PS--I was a revision, had the band removed, and the band was screwing up my esophagus...so THAT was simultaneously healing. 
JD_in_TX
on 10/30/11 2:28 am - TX
I had a lap DS on a Tuesday, whi*****luded gb and appendix removal. 13 days later (Monday not quite two weeks after the surgery) I was back at work. I took it relatively easy the first week (max 8 hr days vs normal 10) but otherwise was fine. Age 42 and like you have a desk/computer type job and also quite a bit of control over my daily activities.
kkharriss
on 10/30/11 4:11 am - San Antonio, TX
RNY on 01/11/12
Hey JD, I saw that you had Dr. Garth Davis do your DS.  How did it go with him?  I have been looking for someone that has had one of the Davis' do their surgery.  I have heard wonderful things about both of the Davis' (in regards to regular surgery) but have yet to talk to anyone who has had WLS with them. 

Look forward to hearing from you,
Kelley
JD_in_TX
on 10/30/11 8:28 am - TX
 Kelly,
My DS has been great (so far).  I don't know the elder Dr Davis very well (only met once) but I couldnt be happier with Dr Garth.   I attended their seminar in March, and between the seminar and the consult I discovered OH and the DS. As someone with a science background (though not a medical one), I couldn't imagine having any other procedure besides the DS once I had all of the data on the other procedures.  Having also read (mostly on OH) a bit about Dr Garth's history relative to the DS, I went into the consult prepared to be steered away from the DS (and prepared to go find another surgeon).  I was pleasantly surprised when he not only didn't steer me away, but enthusiastically supported it.  BTW I was at a BMI of 52-53.

I've come to have a fair amount of respect for the DS vets and their strong advice to use a vetted DS surgeon, and the fact that I was going against that was a source of some concern for me.  I pressed Dr Garth on his experience and results  (he had done about 10 DS's when I had my consult -- not sure how many now) and I just felt really good about him as a medical professional.  About half way through the 3 month nutrition classes, I did briefly consider switching to Dr Stewart in the Dallas area (had a bout of cold feet based on reading about bad outcomes on OH), who's somewhat of a DS rock star.  In the end however, I decided to trust my instincts about Dr Garth, and from where I'm at now (~ 5 weeks out) I'm very happy with my decision.

The actual procedure was done at Memorial Hermann Memorial City (right next to their clinic) and according to Dr. Garth it was a textbook DS.  I spent 2 nights in the hospital and was out mid afternoon on the 3rd day.  My wife was able to spend the night in the room with me (though she went home to stay with the kids 2nd night).  I don't really have any complaints post op -- lots of research led me to expect a more difficult post op experience than what I have actually had.  I'm down about 28 lb but am not worrying too much about the scale, rather i'm trying to focus on nutrition (90 g/day protein!), vitamins, and fluids.

If you've got any specific questions I'd be happy to answer them, just shoot me a pm.

John
allraindrops
on 10/30/11 4:49 am
This is super helpful guys! What about others?
RKLC2002
on 10/30/11 7:57 am - Omaha, NE
I had my open DS on Oct 14.  I'm planning on going back at 4 weeks.   This will put me back on a Friday, then a full week, then I'm taking Thanksgiving week off.  I am sure I'll need the rest by then.  so far, my recovery as been perfect, but I still need naps 1-2 times/day.  Even if it's not sleeping, it's rest that i need.   I do have a sit down job, but it can be high stress. 

I keep thinking/wondering how I'll get my protein in while I'm at work.

Good luck,

5' 10"    HW= 327   SW=319 lbs        CW=200  (lowest was 180)    GW=170

No regrets with my DS!!!  

Open DS with Dr. Anthone  - October 14, 2011
Ventral Hernia repair/panniculectomy/hysterectomy - Nov 2012; 
Bowel Blockage due to hysterectomy and adhesions - Feb 2013;
Ventral Hernia repair with mesh - Dec 2013

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1057 views
calcium/protein