Quick Survey-Back to work?

allraindrops
on 10/29/11 7:55 pm
Hi guys,

Just a quick survey. How long before you were back to work after your surgery? I have a sit behind the computer all day office type job and am wondering how long it will REALLY take for me to get back to work and would like to know from those who have had the surgery what their experience was.

Thanks!
MajorMom
on 10/29/11 8:13 pm - VA
After 2 weeks I started back 1/2 days for a week, then full-time after the 3d week.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

lauralisi
on 10/29/11 9:17 pm - Dona Ana, NM
Hi,
I was an open revision, 55 y/o, moderately active all day, and needed every bit of my 8 weeks off.
Good luck!!!!
Janet P.
on 10/29/11 9:59 pm
Lap DS. Took 4 weeks off. By week 3 I felt pretty good but was glad I took the full 4 weeks off work. Went back 1/2 days for the first week which turned out to be the best thing I did. I was exhausted after a 1/2 day at work (sat at a computer all day).

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

teachmid
on 10/29/11 10:05 pm - OKC, OK
I went back to work at 5 weeks and it was really rough for me. I could have used about 7-8.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Julie R.
on 10/29/11 10:38 pm - Ludington, MI
 I was a lap DS, 45 years old, and went back teaching music (quite an active job) at 2.5 weeks.    I would have liked to have had about four weeks off, especially since I have nearly an hour commute each way, but I didn't want to start the school year off with a substitute teacher.   I took a nap every day after school until about the four or five week mark, then one day, just felt back to my old self.   If you are able to take a month off, I'd do it, just to acclimate yourself to your new plumbing, eating habits, etc.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

allraindrops
on 10/29/11 10:54 pm
Thanks guys! Keep em coming!!!
KarenFlorida
on 10/29/11 11:04 pm - Orlando, FL
I had a lap DS and went back after 2 1/2 weeks, a moderately active job with standing/walking/position changes (medical office). My recovery was easier than most, I think. I was blessed.

My workmates were informed and available to pick up the slack for me if needed. Also, I arranged it so I could have taken more time off if I didn't feel up to returning.

Karen
Join me! weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

(deactivated member)
on 10/30/11 12:06 am - Woodbridge, VA
I had my surgery on a Friday morning (lap) and took the following 2 full weeks off and then returned to my full-time desk job the next Monday. So, I took off 2 weeks and 1 day (as far as work days).

I was also 26, so that could be a factor, and I made sure to be pretty darn active during my 2 weeks home. My sister and then 2-year-old niece came and stayed with me my second week, and we would go walk around the mall, take my niece to Chuck E. Cheese, etc. I did end up with some dehydration at about a month out, but I wouldn't say that's due to having returned to work too soon, just didn't keep pushing my fluids enough (and had a major aversion to plain water).

I also did NOT have my gall bladder or appendix removed with my surgery; not sure if maybe that could make a difference, too.
Imissthe80s
on 10/30/11 1:50 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
 Thanks for asking this, raindrops, I was thinking about this question just the other day.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 683 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1005 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 338 views