one month out/only 29 lbs down

kelly_coil
on 11/1/11 11:38 am - GA
Is it normal to of only lost 29 lbs one month out. I am afraid the surgery did not work.
sandyv63
on 11/1/11 11:51 am - Naples, FL
Only? You're on track to lose over 100# in just 4 months. I'd say that's astonishing.  I'll be thrilled if I lose 29# my first month post op. My surgery is Nov 10th so I'll find out soon enough!
KarenFlorida
on 11/1/11 11:57 am - Orlando, FL
Are you being serious? How much did you expect to lose in one month? You're doing great!

Karen
Join me! weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

(deactivated member)
on 11/1/11 12:00 pm - Woodbridge, VA
Seriously? Unrealistic expectations much?
MomToTeens
on 11/1/11 12:18 pm - OH
Well, then I guess my surgery is a miserable failure!  I've lost 35 lbs. in 3 months!

You are doing fine...great, as a matter of fact....

Susan

RNY:  05/24/2005     SW:  270, lowest:  190,  Back up to:  230
Revision to DS:  07/24/2011  SW:230/CW:181/GW:140

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"
Will Rogers

NoMore B.
on 11/1/11 12:46 pm
It's not about the pounds, it's about percentage of excess weight lost.  How much was your starting weight and how tall are you?

You first need to calculate your excess weight.  I'll use myself as an example.  I started at 296 pounds, and since I'm 5'6", the weight that puts me at a "normal" BMI is 154.  Subtract the two for the differenece, and you will see I was 142 pounds overweight.

A good rule of thumb is to lose
25% Excess Weight by 3 months (for me that would be 142 x 25%., or 35 pounds)
50% Excess Weight by 6 Months
85% Excess Weight by 1 Year.

Unless your starting BMI is very high, 29 pounds in one month sounds like a resounding success.  You have to have the right expectations, and you also cannot compare yourself to others.  The percentages I gave above are general averages - some people lose more slowly, some faster, but it is a good way to see where you are falling in the curve.

And most of all - dont compare your "pounds" lost to anyone else.  It's not at all about pounds - it's about percentage of excess weight lost.
prettypixels
on 11/1/11 1:43 pm
If you think your surgery isn't working, how do you think you lost those 29 lbs?
Mannyb23
on 11/1/11 2:41 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Try not to worry and compare yourself with others, I am still learning this myself, but you are doing fine don't stress
My new life is beginning!         
Paula R.
on 11/1/11 3:04 pm - Portland, OR
You are only a month out from a MAJOR surgery.  Please cut yourself and your body a little slack and give yourself some credit for the good work you have done so far.   I know its hard seeing as how most of us seem to only focus on what we perceive as our failures, but its absolutely important IMO to learn how to be able to celebrate our successes.  29 lbs in one month is freakin' fantastic

You didnt gain all the weight that necessitated your having bariatric surgery all in a month, right?  Just because you have surgery doesnt mean it all comes off in a month either. 
My signature is in the witness protection program

Janet P.
on 11/1/11 7:49 pm
Really?? What did you honestly think you would lose -- all your excess weight the first month? What are your expectations for the rest of your life if you think losing 30 pounds in 30 days isn't successful?

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 820 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1084 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 360 views