10 Days Post Op, Down 16# :D but Eating Hurts

Lisa_Sac
on 11/1/11 3:21 pm
OK, had my follow-up apt. with Dr. Rabkin today and have lost 16 pounds so far, WOO HOO! Super psyched about that. I'm feeling pretty good, incisions are still a little tender, and taking tasty daily afternoon naps.

So here are the not so greats: 1) I need to find super-mega Devrom, I can't believe how bad the gas can smell, it even woke my husband up in the middle of the night last week, hilarious! There are options out there that I will try, so I'm not too worried.

2) No matter what I eat or drink (even water), hurts. I'll try to explain: I'll take small sips of water (no straw) or take a small bite of food and by the time the food hits the stomach it feels like the stomach and chest are squeezing tight, like a contraction. Then it is followed by wanting to burp air but if I try, the food or foam comes up. Is this close to "dumping", but why I'm getting this with a DS?

So how long will this last (Dr. Rabkin's office said to eat slower and that it is probably still swelling)? And, suggestions on how to minimize?

Thank you DS family, you are my heros!
Lisa

5'3"; CC length 100 cm    
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 11/1/11 3:29 pm
You're early out, not even healed yet, things are probably still swollen and tender so it's normal for eating and drinking to hurt a bit. It's not dumping, DSers don't get dumping. I had a lot of trouble swallowing things down without having to burp, I needed anti-nausea meds for the first couple of months to help stop the stomach from squeezing. It sucked but gradually went away as things healed. If it ever gets to the point where you are vomiting and can't keep water down make sure you check with Dr. Rabkin. Are you currently taking any anti-nausea meds? How about an acid blocker? Both really help a lot, if you're not taking them you may want to start.

As for the gas, try an orange oil spray, it covers the smell rather well.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

Lisa_Sac
on 11/1/11 3:45 pm
Thanks Daryl, I appreciate your words of experience. I'm on Prilosec daily and have taken the anti nausea mess sparingly as I haven't felt nauseous, per say. But I can try taking some with my lunch and dinner and see if that helps.

It's like I get so excited to eat something that looks so good and then take the first bite and feel miserable. But knowing I've lost so much weight, makes the pain worth it! Ha ha. Just want to know what to expect.

5'3"; CC length 100 cm    
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 11/1/11 10:05 pm, edited 11/1/11 10:06 pm
It's good that you're taking the prilosec, you'll need to keep taking it for 6 months at least. I'm 11 months out and I still need to take it (I have a little bit of post-op reflux, but it's no biggie!)

About the nausea- I found that nausea felt VERY different post-op, and the contractions/tightening my stomach was having after drinking/eating was actually the "new" nausea- I didn't realize that right away. So if you eat or drink and your stomach starts to have a fit, it probably means you're nauseous even though it doesn't feel quite like you have to puke. Don't skimp on the nausea meds if you are experiencing this, take them to quell the unpleasant churning so it will be easier to get liquids (liquids are most important right now) and food down. The more you're able to drink and eat, the better you will be able to heal.

It was about 3-4 months out that I was able to drink more than a large sip at a time without having that horrible burpy feeling. That eventually goes away, but it lingers for a while and it can be super annoying. I had to have my hubs burp me on many occasions.

You're probably still on mushy or liquid foods right now. If something really hurts more than usual (early out everything hurts) after eating it, don't force it. Don't eat anything with flour in it for the first 3-4 months, wheat gluten is known to irritate poor, swollen post-op tummies and is difficult to digest while the tummy is healing. Be expecially careful with this regarding creamy soups- a lot of cream soups use flour as a thickener.

For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

pktwatch
on 11/2/11 12:14 am
My surgeon has us using a sippy cup for all drinks. It keeps you from swallowing air, you might give it a try.

Switched 9/21/2011 By Dr. Inman
HW    368
SW    328
CW    180

GW 180 (or less to get to a normal BMI)

Elizabeth N.
on 11/2/11 12:14 am - Burlington County, NJ
What you are describing is a type of reflux. The squeezing feeling is accurate. Whatever you're consuming is getting kind of 'rejected' so it comes back up. It is NOT dumping. Not even distantly related.

Yes, eat slower. Better yet, forget food and HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE. You are not getting in enough fluids, so you are somewhat dehydrated, and that will make you sick as a dog and perpetuate the problem.

Get yourself a measuring teaspoon and a timer. Take one teaspoon of fluid. Time one minute. Repeat, repeat, repeat. In six minutes you will have consumed one fluid ounce. It will take a little over six hours of your day to consume 64 oz. of fluids in this way.

If you can't swallow a whole teaspoon at once, go to half a teaspoon. But it's very rare that people can't tolerate a teaspoon per minute. Or wait two minutes and see how you feel. I will bet money that your bites/sips are too big and you are taking them too close together.

If you are not yet on an acid reducer, get one. I swore by Prilosec.

You might also benefit from an anti nausea med. I swore by Reglan and got away with it. If you choose to use Reglan, use extreme caution and be aware that it can cause psychiatric symptoms. It works differently from other anti nausea meds. It helps stomach motility, so that stuff moves through your stomach better/faster. That can be a significant issue early out.

RKLC2002
on 11/2/11 6:44 am - Omaha, NE
Hang in there.  I know exactly what you mean.  As days go by, this will get better.  I am a few days ahead of you (mine was Oct 14).   I am just now finding it easier to drink more normally.   But, I still feel like I swallow a lot of air.  It's getting better every day though.  

Oh, and I still live by my naps as well.  I'm hoping it gets better as I'm supposed to go back to work on the 11th.

5' 10"    HW= 327   SW=319 lbs        CW=200  (lowest was 180)    GW=170

No regrets with my DS!!!  

Open DS with Dr. Anthone  - October 14, 2011
Ventral Hernia repair/panniculectomy/hysterectomy - Nov 2012; 
Bowel Blockage due to hysterectomy and adhesions - Feb 2013;
Ventral Hernia repair with mesh - Dec 2013

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 993 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1177 views