New Member! Almost 1 yr post-DS and almost too skinny...

Alusien
on 11/30/11 2:52 am - Waxahachie, TX
Hi, everybody!

(Hi, Dr. Nick!)

I had my DS by Dr Stewart in Denton, TX almost one year ago and I couldn't be happier.

My only issue is that I had the flu a few weeks ago and dropped 15lbs in two weeks.  Before then I'd settled to trickling off only a few pounds per month.

Since I've recovered from being ill, my weight loss has spiked back up to almost 2lbs per week.  At 125lbs, I really can't afford to continue losing at this weight.

I've made a follow-up/check-up appointment with my surgeon for next week, but I was curious whether or not any other DS people have gone through this issue?  Or, even if someone has a higher calorie food/recipe suggestion to help boost my caloric intake in the meantime...

Lately I been consciously attempting to increase my daily intake in a healthy manner, but I find myself only ingesting 1300-1800 calories (pre-DS math) each day.

~~~

I'll update my profile a little better soon, I swear. I was looking up specific 1yr anniversary dietary changes for DS during a slow point at work and and stubled onto this forum earlier.

Valerie G.
on 11/30/11 3:14 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
At this point, you can afford to start eating a little more shamelessly, while still getting in the protein your body needs.  That will help slow down the loss.  Another option would be a digestive enzyme that would increase the level of absorption from the foods you consume.  I'd try the shameless eating first -- it's more fun.  When you get close back to where you want to be, then you ease off and get back on the wagon.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

newyorkbitch
on 11/30/11 3:23 am, edited 11/30/11 3:24 am
Increase your carb intake.

But make sure you maintain adequate protein intake too.

Alusien
on 11/30/11 3:45 am - Waxahachie, TX
I shed a LOT of hair at first so now I'm constantly aware of my protein levels.

It's come back in about 3" now, so I look like a dandelion in the sun. 
Alusien
on 11/30/11 3:42 am - Waxahachie, TX
I've increased my carbs within the past two months, and pretty dramatically since I've been sick, but I'm still trickling downwards faster than I'm comfy with.

For lunch today I had a Jimmy Johns Beach Club (#12 on the big sub roll) with extra sauce and avacado on it.  (It took me almost two hours to eat it, but I ate it all.)  Not sure I can eat much more lately, though. When I try to eat more often or larger portions I just end up making myself sick.

Between meals I keep peanuts & cashews on my desk and snack on them throughout the day, as well as constantly munching on things like yogurt and fruit starting about 2 hours after dinner.  Dinner is usually something carby & starchy & meaty; sketti, steak & taters, salmon & veggies, etc.  I always make it a point to eat breakfast now, though my biggest meal tends to be lunch since I have the time to drag it out longer, thus stuffing more in my face.

I avoid processed sugars like the plague since they make me feel like poo. 

Jeez, maybe I have a tape worm...

newyorkbitch
on 11/30/11 3:53 am
How about snacking on whole grain snacks? Whole grain bread with cream cheese for example?
Alusien
on 11/30/11 4:05 am - Waxahachie, TX
Awesome idea!

I've got some smoked salmon and  garlic/jalapeno antipasto I can sprinkle on top, too....

Elizabeth N.
on 11/30/11 4:40 am - Burlington County, NJ
Glad you found us!

Try adding a(nother) protein supplement each day for starters. You might also want to try a short course of the digestive enzyme Creon, say for a month, to see if that levels you out. Throwing carbs down your gullet to get your calorie count up is not the way to fix this, trust the voice of experience :-).

newyorkbitch
on 11/30/11 5:48 am
Just to clarify:  if and only if you are getting adequate protein,  add in some additional whole grain carbs.
Victorious_one
on 11/30/11 4:41 am - South Central, PA

Hi there!

We usually don't talk much about calories here, but I know that I usually eat about 2,200 calories a day and get in about 120-150g of protein.

Are you still using protein shakes?  If not, that might help.

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 723 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1027 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 344 views