I need some friends..

alldredget
on 12/2/11 2:56 am - Comstock Park, MI
Hey DS'ers,
I just got insurance approval for the DS today and could really use some friends who understand what I am about to endeavor. So if you are so willing, give me a friend request and check out my board on my situation...

Thanks and God Bless.... 
Larissa P.
on 12/2/11 3:00 am - Denton, TX
Good luck, you'll find a lot of good advice here, stick around. :)
Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
alldredget
on 12/2/11 3:02 am - Comstock Park, MI
Thanks Larissa....I appreciate the support! 
orangecrushed
on 12/2/11 3:06 am - Triad, NC
Hey there!  Congrats on your approval!  I'm sure you've got a wide range of emotions going on right now.  You've definitely come to the right place, the board is great.

Have you gotten a date yet?
alldredget
on 12/2/11 3:14 am - Comstock Park, MI
My physical is the 19th, and then I see a behaviorist on the 21st and the actual surgeon on the 21st as well. So I am hoping to have the surgery in January....

Yes, many emotions right now, from feeling excited to pissed and then just depressed... 
ModestoK
on 12/2/11 3:26 am
Welcome.   You are at the start of an amazing journey.

Before you have your appointments, I suggest you read the noobie links that are periodically provided here so you know what questions to ask and what to expect. (assuming you have not done so already.) 
When I was first starting out, I read through pages and pages of DS posts to get a feel for what to expect and the lifestyle requirements post DS.
Google advanced is a great way to look up responses to your specific questions - use the advance button and they search with  - and copy the DS board page into the search within website box.
I'd also recommend you start taking some vitamins now such as a multi, iron, and Vit. D and begin adjusting to a low carb if you haven't already.  Check out VitaLady's page to see the ones that you will need after surgery and order them before surgery so they will be one less thing to worry about while you are in the post-DS surgery mindfog.

Good luck!
                                      ~  Kim  ~

HW - 283        SW - 257.5     Goal - 156
Thanks to all the DS vets who have paid it forward - I <3 you guys!  
Looking for DS support & information?   Check out :     http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

Frankie
on 12/2/11 3:22 am - NY
Welcome to the DS board.  You will find a wealth of information here and what I love about the Vets they give it to you straight with no chaser.  Congrats on your insurance approval and I hope you will get your surgery date soon.

Best,
Frankie

Crazeru
on 12/2/11 3:23 am
Who's your surgeon?  Make sure he is a "real" DS surgeon and not a bait and don't switch guy.

Have you been over to www.dsfacts.com?  Lots of info there too.  Read back several pages here and most of your questions have probably been asked and answered.

Welcome to the board and great choice having the DS. 

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

alldredget
on 12/2/11 3:31 am - Comstock Park, MI
Dr Kemmeter in Grand Rapids, MI is going to be my surgeon and I have already spoken with some of his patients earlier this year. From everything I have read  he is pretty top notch on the DS surgeries.

I have been to DSFacts and do have a good understanding of the science, procedure and so forth, what I need help with is my emotional health through this process. I have many conflicting emotions and fears regarding this process and my new body.....

I am sure many of my questions will be answered by previous posts, but with the shear number of posts, I am sure I will be repeating some questions from time to time...

Thanks for everyones support!
BBoop
on 12/2/11 7:04 am
Initially, you probably can't take the regulare DS vitamins...so before you rush out and get all these vitamins check you local pharmacy for chewable ones.  In the beginning, that's about all  you can tolerate.  Vitamin D comes in a sulingual, from Vitalady and it will get you through till you can take the regular D.  It isn't a large pill, but early out everybody has trouble getting the pills in.  I still have some chewables in my drawer...I moved on pretty quickly but everybody is different.  Remember that...everybody is different.

The very first thing to remember is to drink your liquids...that is very important.  I never had trouble with drinking so you may or may not.  There are many different stories on here about what to drink...YMMV...just start out easy and work up to anything that could give you trouble like carbonation...you can do that but not the day after surgery. 

You will need to walk after surgery to keep everything going.  Don't fret if you can't do much to begin with but eventually you will just get up and go.  I walked the halls in the hospital and did just fine.  Once you get home walk around your house or apt...do mini laps. 

Add the protein as soon as you can...again, YMMV.  If you can't drink your protein the first week, so be it.  But work toward getting in 100 grms of the stuff as soon as you can.  Don't worry initially, you will do it, it just takes time.  I fouond Atkins was a good source immediately after surgery.  Then I moved on to the higher protein ones after the first bit.

Remember, if you get dehydrated, you should go to the hospital and get an IV.  That's what happens sometimes to people immediately after surgery.  You CAN avoid this if you remember to drink, every few minutes.  Then move on to protein, work toward 100 grms...you can't do that immeidately after surgery. 

At first you can eat what you like...I say that almost with a chuckle, cause you won't be eating much.  In the beginning, It has to be mushy or pureed.  Soup will become your best friend.  You won't be able to drink much soup and Won ton without the Won Ton will be a life saver.  So find a good Chinese place near you or even Campbell's has wonton that isn't too bad.  Then you can move on to other soups...I found I like black bean...pureed in the blender...I'm from Tx so what can you expect?  Keep you eating simple and uncomplicated to begin with.  Add things slowly.  What you can digest one day you may not be able to the next.  Just put it in the frig and go back to it later.  Again, I can't say it enough, YMMV. 

Good luck and come back often...we love newbies and believe it or not you are going to do fine.  The first thing to remember is to drink liquids...every few minutes.  Listen to your body...something we didn't do pre op...only to hear it say I'm hungry...just listen to it and you will know what you can eat and be successful.

B
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1051 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1208 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 502 views