Coconut Milk is the devil!

Dudette
on 12/9/11 8:14 am - Edina, MN
TMI WARNING!

I was outside putting up Xmas lights earlier when I suddenly had "to go"... #2. I barely made it to the house and *almost* **** my pants. Close call. Very close call. LOL!

I've only had diarreha once before since my DS, about 4 weeks post-op. Well, I think I've identified the culprit. Organic Coconut Milk. It's the unsweetened Coconut Milk that's used as a dairy substitute. The first time this happened I used it in a smoothie. Today, I had a small scoop of dairy free ice cream. Coconut Milk was the main ingredient.

I logged in here and did a search and found a post indicating that Coconut Milk is a laxative. Who knew?  Let this serve as a warning to other clueless recent post-ops like me. Beware of coconut milk. Or at least make sure you're not outside in 10 degree weather wearing a jillion layers of clothes if nature calls...

newyorkbitch
on 12/9/11 8:28 am, edited 12/9/11 8:32 am
 I drink (Zico brand) coconu****er all the time.  Almost every day.  Never gives me a problem.    Just want people to understand that coconut milk is not the same as coconu****er.  Coconu****er is great - low fat, low calorie,  amazingly thirst quenching,  lots of potassium,  delicious,  not too sweet,  and light.  Coconut milk is full of saturated fat and loads of calories.

I looove the Zico coconu****er.  No added sugar.  Give it a shot.

http://www.slashfood.com/2006/05/06/coconut-milk-vs-coconut-cream-vs-coconu****er/

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2009/07/is_coconu****er_healthier_tha.html
Dudette
on 12/9/11 8:48 am - Edina, MN
I WILL try the Zico. Sounds awesome. Thanks for the tip!

The coconut milk that "got" me was So Delicious brand. I won't say that I'll never eat/drink any of their products again, but will do so with some caution. After all, might come in handy as a secret weapon if I'm ever constipated. 
cathygo
on 12/9/11 1:08 pm
 Thanks for the warning, it will go to my list with REd letters. 

Cath
butercup
on 12/9/11 3:04 pm - Kennewick, WA
After I had some green Thai curry, "don't trust a fart" was in full effect.
Dudette
on 12/9/11 3:18 pm - Edina, MN
I forgot to mention... both times I've been hit with the curse of the So Delicious Coconut Milk it happened fast. Within 45-90 minutes of consumption. That's crazy fast. Must be the new anatomy.
(deactivated member)
on 12/9/11 9:12 pm - Woodbridge, VA
I personally didn't care for the taste of the So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk, so I never had issues with it because I don't think I ever drank enough at a time. But if you're looking for something else to use in its place, I like unsweetened almond milk  :)  Either the Pure Silk brand (refrigerated) or the Almond Breeze by Blue Diamond brand (sold both refrigerated and in non-refrigerated cartons).
Blank Out
on 12/10/11 10:54 pm
 Miss constipatied here!  I am going to buy coconut milk!

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 12/11/11 3:46 am
I actually add it to my protein shakes. It's yummy, but it gets a bad rap. The early studies were only with partially hydrogenated oil, which makes any oil bad. It's actually a medium chain fatty acid, and they are discovering some more health benefits. I copied/pasted a bit from Wiki below, but I'm always looking for new study data about it.

Some recent studies have suggested that coconut milk has hyperlipidemic balancing qualities, antimicrobial properties in the gastrointestinal tract or by topical application,[2][3] and it has been used as a home remedy for healing mouth ulcers.[4] In a study with rats, two coconut based preparations (a crude warm water extract of coconut milk and a coconu****er dispersion) were studied for their protective effects on drug-induced gastric ulceration.[5]Both substances offered protection against ulceration, with coconut milk producing a 54% reduction vs. 39% for coconu****er. In addition, the saturated fat in coconut milk is mostly lauric acid, which was found to have positive effects on the cardiovascular system.[6]

[edit]Coconut Milk versus 2% Dairy Milk

There is an enormous difference between canned coconut milk and the coconut milk beverages found in cardboard containers in the dairy case and in aseptic containers along with soy milk, rice milk, and other non-dairy beverages. Refrigerated and aseptic coconut milk beverages contain a fraction of the fat and calories found in canned coconut milk. And when compared to the 120 calories of 2% dairy milk, coconut milk beverages contain less than 80 calories per serving. Coconut milk beverages are also a good source of calcium and contain half the sugars (or less) of dairy milk. The most striking difference between the two types of milk is that there is 0mg of cholesterol in So Delicious® Coconut Milk and "Silk Pure-Coconut Original" as opposed to 20mg of cholesterol in 2% cow’s milk.

While it is important to note that there is conflicting evidence on the claimed health effects of consuming significant amounts of coconut milk, coconut is rich in medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs), which the body processes differently than other saturated fats. MCFAs promote weight maintenance without raising cholesterol levels. They work best for preventing weight gain if you’re not overweight or maintaining your new weight after a successful diet. [St. Onge, Marie-Pierre PhD and Peter J.H. Jones PhD “Journal of Nutrition" 1999-2002.][7]One of the most prominent components of coconut milk is coconut oil, which the United States Food and Drug Administration,[8]World Health Organization,[9] International College of Nutrition,[10] the United States Department of Health and Human Services,[11] American Dietetic Association,[12]American Heart Association,[13] British National Health Service,[14] and Dietitians of Canada[12] recommend against consuming in significant amounts due to its high levels of saturated fat.

Coconut milk contains a large proportion of lauric acid, a saturated fat that raises blood cholesterol levels by increasing the amount of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol[15] that is also found in significant amounts in breast milk and sebaceous gland secretions.[16] This may create a more favourable blood cholesterol profile, though it is unclear if coconut oil may promote atherosclerosis through other pathways.[15] Because much of the saturated fat of coconut oil is in the form of lauric acid, coconut oil may be a better alternative to partially hydrogenated vegetable oil when solid fats are required.[17] In addition, virgin coconut oil is composed mainly of medium-chain triglycerides,[18] which may not carry the same risks as other saturated fats.[17][19] Early studies on the health effects of coconut oil used partially hydrogenated coconut oil, which creates trans fats, and not virgin coconut oil, which has a different health risk profile.[20]

Elizabeth N.
on 12/11/11 8:25 am - Burlington County, NJ
Have you tried a lactose free milk? Or is this because of an allergy rather than lactose intolerance?

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 766 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1056 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 349 views