Cold feet.......glad I'm going to the operating table and not the altar!

allraindrops
on 12/13/11 4:31 am, edited 12/13/11 4:32 am
I leave to get switched day after tomorrow and I'm getting some serious cold feet.....I will go through with it because it is what I want but I'm nervous about the no carbs thing, this pre-op carb free diet has been hard!
Banded in March 2006, lost 15 and regained 20 lbs, revision to DS on December 19, 2011. Looking forward to loserland!

Updated: Starting weight 260 lbs, current weight 168 lbs (June 6, 2012)....I love my DS!

Kingy
on 12/13/11 5:19 am - Hobart, Australia
Best of luck for a smooth operation and an easy recovery.  Sending good karma your way!

DianaRR
on 12/13/11 5:21 am - CA
I hope your surgery and recover goes well.
At first you won't be very hungry. If you concentrate on getting in your protein and water, you won't have trouble limiting carbs.
As I have recovered, I have been eating too many carbs. It does slow down the weight loss, but doesn't stop it.
One of the good things about the DS is that you can eat normal food in a normal way, and that can include carbs.

(deactivated member)
on 12/13/11 5:50 am
If you wern't nervous I would be very surprised.  It is scary, no getting around that.

Do you have someone going with you?  That would be the only thing I would change about going to Brazil to get mine done, I would take someone with me!!

I am sending all good thoughts for an uneventful surgery and a boring recovery!!

Michele
divakay2
on 12/13/11 6:22 am
Wishing you a speedy and uneventful recovery................Kenya
Lisa A.
on 12/13/11 7:13 am - Windsor, NY
I can't speak for sure but I have no problems eating carbs - in moderation. My doctor said this is a surgery to get your life back. You can eat whatever your body will agree to - in moderation. Hopefully you will get to enjoy food (all food). You just learn to listen to your body and eat when you are hungery and stay away from what bothers you (you will know).

Raven300
on 12/13/11 12:04 pm
 Cold feet are totally normal.  This is a major surgery and a daunting event in your life.  If you read thru the forums though, you'll see the same theme over and over again - "I love my DS and the only thing I regret is not having it done sooner."  You'll find that this sentiment is totally true. I know I came to agree wholeheartedly and I was so scared going into the surgery that I was sobbing.

You are going to change your life for the better. This surgery literally gave me my life back. Food no longer ruled my world in the same way it did before. It is true that I pay attention to what I eat and make sure I get all the nutrients and protein needed to be healthy. It is also true that I care a great deal more about the quality and taste of the food that I put in my mouth (eating smaller portions made me want to eat tastier things.)  Before the DS, I used to think about food ALOT - when my next meal was, what desserts or "bad food"  I would like to be eating.  I spent a ton of money on fast food and takeout food. I ate emotionally, I used food as  a reward, I binged sometimes when depressed or angry. The DS gave me freedom from all of this.

You are going to get healthier.  You will be able to walk and talk. You'll be able to do all those things that are difficult for you now with ease (climbing steps, hiking, snowboarding, anything).  If you have high cholesterol or diabates, you will see a huge improvement. If you have asthma, you are going to breathe easier without all that extra weight.

You are going to look fabulous.  And I mean f*ing fabulous.  It is going to take time, but you WILL lose the weight that has plagued you. You may or may not reach your goal (depending on how realistic it is), but you are going to look so great.  Won't it be wonderful to shop in ANY store for clothes?  Take advantage of those sales and deals in Victoria's Secret or any main mall shop?  

When you get scared, just think of all the  positives that are going to happen. You'll probably still be nervous and that will be ok.  You'll get thru it and the rest of your life will start.  The weight won't come off instantly, but it will come off quickly. And hey - you didnt put it on instantly so be sure to cut your self some slack in losing it.

As for the carbs, as the earlier posters have said - you arent giving up carbs. The truth is, in the begining you barely have room for anything and you have to get your protein in first so the carbs may sit to the side. Eventually you can add them back in. You are just going to be eating in moderation. Something you may not be able to conceive of at the moment ( I couldnt pre-DS) but something that you will see after the surgery.  You will eat carbs - you just won't eat alot of them.  I eat french fries, corn chips, and corn tortillas. I sometimes have desserts like cheesecake, pie, or cake. I eat ice cream. I just eat small portions. I stay away from flour because I have a reaction to proccessed white flour - after the ds it causes gas and diahrrea. Everyone is different and flour might not bother you at all.

Good luck and congratulations on the start of your new life.

HW-345,SW-300, CW-144lbs.  DS 5/11/10. 
     First round of plastics with Dr. LoMonaco 11/8/11  LBL, BL. 14lbs of skin removed.
     2nd round with Dr. LoMonaco 2/8/12 Brachioplasty, Thigh lift,  Breast Implants.

Paula R.
on 12/13/11 12:28 pm - Portland, OR
I speak from personal experience as a carb lover in the middle of recovery before my upcoming surgery....kicking carbs sucks   It felt some days like I had a pasta/bread monkey on my back.  But it does get easier as you get yourself more into a protein based existence.  Its totally normal to feel some cold feet even though you know in your heart this is what you want.  Good luck on your upcoming surgery and I wish you all the best once you get to the other side.
My signature is in the witness protection program

pktwatch
on 12/13/11 12:50 pm
It's not no carbs, it's low carbs. I was addicted to carbs but have found great replacements by reading a lot here......Broks Pizza is a good example. You won't be hungry at first so it will be a lot easier than a pre-surgery low carb diet. You'll be fine!

Switched 9/21/2011 By Dr. Inman
HW    368
SW    328
CW    180

GW 180 (or less to get to a normal BMI)

* Nicole *
on 12/14/11 12:16 am
Its all about moderation not DEPREVATION. Thats the glory of the DS.

But right away you wont be hungry so it wont be that bad. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

DS Aug 15th,2005 @ goal, living life and loving it.

"An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has not only been raised to physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty unparalleled by that of any other breed."

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 682 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1005 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 338 views