weight gain

Misty Costanzo
on 12/15/11 8:37 pm - Bennington, NE
How many vets have regained some of their weight?  I have been on meds for seizures and I have gained back aproximately 30lbs over the last year.  Also looking for ideas for increasing my protein and wondering what carbs are ok.  Sooo confused
Kayla B.
on 12/15/11 8:53 pm - Austin, TX
Could you post a list of thing things you eat and drink each day?  Including portion size if you know them.  You can use common items to size up certain things to get a better idea.  Like "fist-sized portion of rice/pasta/grean beans" or golf ball sized...half a fist, tennis ball sized, etc.

I regained about 20-30 from my lowest, but it does not bother me personally.  I am able to maintain it and still eat a lot of good food, so that's more important to me.

In general...limiting any caloric beverages, starchy vegetables (potatoes), candy, big portions of fruit, sweets, pastries.  And increasing plain protein foods (meats, cheeses, eggs, tofu).

Starting new meds + being at a stage where most post ops tend to gain a few might make the loss a bit difficult.  How differently do your clothes fit?
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Renfairewench
on 12/15/11 9:52 pm
My lowest weight was 157. A couple months later my weight was around 160-165 and I was ok with that.  In August I cook and bake a LOT for a place that I work at for two months out of the year (part-time). I really didn't seem to care what or how much I ate. At the end of my working season I went to jump into my size 10 jeans to discover with much horror that my jeans would not and did not fit. Stepped on the scale to discover that I had gained 20 pounds!  I slowly cut back on the carbs and go myself back on track. Since October I have lost 21 pounds and am now trying to get down to 150 (my goal weight). 

I do have to watch what I eat. I am a hybrid DSer in that I don't really have a stomach (I had a near complete gastrectomy due to strictures, gastric leak and other issues), just a small "stomach" where the intestine is hooked up, but my intestines are hooked up like a DSer. I have no "stop" button. I can eat and eat and rarely ever feel full, unless I eat too quickly then what I feel is pain.  Anyway, I lowered my carbs a LOT and am eating less than I was in August/September. Or perhaps I'm just eating better choices. Much more protein and fewer empty calories.

I don't drink protein drinks since I'm able to get 100+ grams of protein from food. If I have a super light food day I will drink a protein drink though. 

Cut back on carbs and see if that helps, but don't risk your health. Your brain does need carbs and 50 carb grams might not be enough for you. Like I said, I gradually cut back on the carbs initially because I didn't want to go through that awful carb withdraw.  I did a little, but not so bad that I wanted to just raid my baking closet of all the junk in it.

Maddie

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

Misty Costanzo
on 12/15/11 11:02 pm - Bennington, NE
my lowest weight was 143 but then I went to 150-155 for quite awhile, but now I am close to 180 and my clothes are very tight and I feel like I did when I was 250lbs.  I know I eat too many carbs but its difficult when even my protein drinks have 26g in them.  I just don't know what to eat to make it something I can stick with.  My husband is Italian and wants pasta all the time.  He won't eat the wheat pasta and if we aren't having pasta he wants meat and potatoes.  Potatoes are a huge down fall for me...I love them.  I'm not a seafood person so basically the only way I know to get protein is from cheese,eggs, protein drinks, and meat (which I'm not a big meat eater).

I appreciate your help but if you have any ideas or suggestions on different ways to get protein that would be great.
Renfairewench
on 12/15/11 11:25 pm

There are LOTS of low carb protein drink options out there. IDS has only 2 grams of carbs in each scoop just for starters. 
As for pasta, don't tell him, but switch out regular pasta for Dreamfields pasta. One serving (1/2 cup dry) is only 5 grams of carbs. All the other carbs are "hidden" carbs and pass out your poop.  Potatoes, I love them too. They are a good carb, but too many and that could be problematic.

What I did was this. I eat protein for breakfast and lunch. Many of my carbs come from the cream and / or half and half I use in my coffee.  I eat lots of eggs. I make omlets for breakfast.  I "save" my carbs mostly for dinner.  My husband is a big meat / potato kinda guy too so I alway have to have a bread or other carb for dinner.  I save my carbs like I said, for dinner.  I cut out almost all bread.  I do occasionally have some, like this morning I had two small pieces of white bread from a presliced italian bread loaf. It was the end of the loaf so you know how small that is. Anyway, I put 2 eggs on each slice.  I'll have ham and cheese on a lettuce wrap for lunch and dinner?  Not sure yet, but I am sure it will have a carb. If I make stuffing I usually skip  that. 
I buy low carb tortilla or Flatout bread (you can get it at Walmart) and will sometimes have that for a wrap for a sammy.  Just make better choices. Choose not to eat the carbs or eat protein during the day and eat the carbs at night or whenever you choose.  This weekend I am going to a holiday party. I do NOT intend on being good, but I have been very careful all week eating wise to give me a bit of wiggle room on Saturday.  Yes, I'll make protein choices, but I fully intend on having cheesecake or other dessert.

Hope this helps.

Maddie

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

newyorkbitch
on 12/16/11 2:49 am
Sounds like you and your husband will have to eat different things,  even if you're sitting down to eat together.  Or else he will have to start being more supportive and forego the carbs you find the most tempting,  when you are eating together.  But one thing is for sure:  if you don't cut the carbs,  you are going to continue to gain weight.

Valerie G.
on 12/16/11 3:58 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Find Dreamfields brand pasta.  It looks, tastes, and feels like real pasta, but has like 3 digestible carbs.  I can offer that when I protein load, my craving for carbs goes down.  I make it easy on myself by having some "go-to" choices that I can just grab and go.  It's important that they are ready to eat.  If you have cheese - cut it ahead of time so you can grab a couple cubes when you feel like eating "something" but don't want to go to any effort.  I keep ricotta fluff and custard around for breakfast and evening snacks.  I make flourless peanut butter cookies for when I'm wanting sweets.

I gained about 20 around years 3-4 post op.  I lost 15 of those back and am right where I want to be.  You just reach a point where you need to pay attention and stop being so shameless.  Put that pasta sauce on something else, like veggies or meat, and you may not find yourself missing the pasta at all.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Elizabeth N.
on 12/16/11 3:45 pm - Burlington County, NJ
teachmid
on 12/15/11 10:39 pm - OKC, OK
I'm not a vet, but I've read many posts on the issue of bounce back/regain. You might want to take a look and post on the bites, vites and Exercites thread to get back on track.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Misty Costanzo
on 12/15/11 11:31 pm - Bennington, NE
Yes, I think I will start doing this.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 826 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1086 views
Need help for my mom