2 questions

Beckyann
on 12/28/11 11:23 am - Tacoma, WA
Do any of you drink any type alcohol post DS?  If so, how does it affect you?  I drink red wine but have to cut way back to lose weight.

Do any of you have problems with whey protein powder?  milk? anything made with white flour?  like crackers, bread, cookies, etc???
It causes me extremely nasty smelling gas, horrible painful bloating, diah, etc....
YeahItsCase
on 12/28/11 11:43 am, edited 12/28/11 11:44 am
Most do not recommend alcohol til at least a year out and then sparingly after that..this is for several reasons including transfer addiction, empty calories, the distress it causes your already overworked liver..

As for carbs/flour/milk..did you research prior to your DS? One thing I learned pretty immediately was that any carbs, but more specifically flour, was a huge problem for most DS'ers. This includes crackers, bread, cookies, biscuits, etc. Many also become lactose intolerant and thus the issues with milk, too.

Stick to high protein, high fat, very few carbs and the gas and bloating will lessen by A LOT. It is just the way your new anatomy is.

Felicia S.
on 12/28/11 11:43 am - Lincoln, NE
I drink 1 or 2 times a month--2 to 3 wine coolers or beers at a time.  That is enough to get me pleasantly drunk.  Not falling down drunk...just giddy/silly/friendly (if you know what I mean...hence I only drink with my boyfriend).  The effects seem to go away after a few hours.  I haven't had any problems with alcohol...I've read here that some people have really severe reactions.

I DO occasionally eat white flour products, but they almost always cause me to have gas and bloating.  If I keep it to a minimum I'm fine.  But if I eat chocolate chip cookies (maybe it's the combo of fat/flour/sugar...who knows?) I'm usually miserable. (I can eat Oreos without problems...sorta weird I know.

Sugar doesn't bother me at all (like ice cream, sweettarts/candy)--which is not necessarily a good thing.

I'm trying to avoid all the above right now as I'm wanting to lose about 10 pounds.
HW 264 SW 248 CW 140.8 GW 140 

J G.
on 12/28/11 3:37 pm
Felicia, your post caught my attention. I was lactose intolerant  from day one but could eat oreos occassionally.  Not any more. I am too gluten intolerant.  And now in my 3rd year I am finding sugar gives me gas.  I sometimes sneak a few Hershey's kisses at night, for some reason Hershey seems to be a little better than other candy. 
Beckyann
on 12/28/11 11:52 am, edited 12/27/11 11:55 pm - Tacoma, WA
I am almost 6 years out. I used to drink alcohol like 3-4 times a year but after the DS....I didn't drink alcohol at all really for the first 4 years but the last couple years I did start drinking red wine. My HDL's did double after starting red wine. I have found that I get tipsy really fast on about 2-3 oz of wine. Right now I am cutting it out for weight loss.

Re the terrible gas....I just wanted to make sure I wasn't odd. I will try the oreos later after some of the weight comes off.

Do you have any foods that you can eat and get absolutely NO GAS??? I am asking because with my current job I can control it or work around the gas/diah episodes. But if I get this new job I applied for, I will basically need to cut it down to no gas or gas only after 7pm....lol

Oh yes, one thing I noticed after these 6 yrs is tht rice, meat and a small salad...as in a chicken teriyaki lunch causes me NO gas.
Thank you fellow DS'ers
beemerbeeper
on 12/28/11 1:25 pm - AL
Becky Ann,

These are real newbie questions.  I respectfully advise you to spend a great deal of time reading this forum as these types of questions are often discussed.  I'm not saying that because I don't want to answer you, because I will answer you, but because it concerns me that if you don't know the answer to these basic questions that you may have also missed other, critical, information that you need to be healthy with a DS.

So please, read this forum.

I was a social drinker my whole life.  Two years post DS I developed a serious alcohol problem VERY quickley.  Beer.  No telling what I would have done to my health had I not had help getting help pretty fast.  I went from not drinking to drinking EVERY day in about 2 months.

I get gas/bloating from:  lactose, wheat gluten, sugar alcohols and too many carbs.  So I avoid those things pretty much religously.  Chocolate does not bother me...DAMNIT.

~Becky

Beckyann
on 12/28/11 2:51 pm - Tacoma, WA
You are right.  I am not on here daily, weekly or monthly.  My busy lifestyle has caused me to lose track so I am trying to get back to where I need to be.

One of these things is cutting foster parenting from my life because it took so much time,,,time from working out, time from doing my vitamin trays, time from staying on top of things, etc...

But I do go to the doctor every 3 months and so far no major issues with defi****ncy.
lk1970
on 12/28/11 8:03 pm
I do have ****tails, I stick with vodka or bourbon... I still don't do well with carbonation. It only takea a little bit to get a buzz... so I'm very careful.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "oh crap! she's up!

Julie R.
on 12/28/11 9:17 pm - Ludington, MI
 Hi Beckyann, 
I've seen you on these boards off and on for years, so I know you know the basics, hun!   Yes, flour, bread, crackers, flour gives almost ALL of us nasty smelling gas, diarrhea, butt burns, etc.   I know you know that.     Whey protein does the same thing for me.  I have the best luck with Syntrax Nectars and Designer Whey.    

I am a teacher and it is extremely difficult for me to leave my classroom during the day.   If I avoid wheat, milk or mallitol, gas is never EVER an issue.    
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Victorious_one
on 12/28/11 9:22 pm - South Central, PA

I have only tried wine spritzers since my DS, and I've only had them twice (I'm 18 months out now; first tried them at 1 year out).  They affect me the same way they would have pre-DS.  I've always been a lightweight, and the tradition continues!

I am OK with whey protein powder and milk/dairy.  White flour stuff is usually OK, except for my favorite donuts.   I may get a bit extra gas, but I get gassy at the end of the day anyway, flour or no.

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 771 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1059 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 351 views