Who all has had DS with Ungson?

lisalou79
on 1/2/12 3:14 am - de soto, MO
 Hello,

I'm gathering my information on Dr. Ungson and I was hoping anyone who has had surgery with him might share their experience with me, both good and bad. 

bugirll
on 1/2/12 3:55 am - MD
DS on 03/19/12
I am planning to have DS with Dr Ungson in march.  I have heard nothing but rave reviews about him.  I called his office last week and his staff was out on vacation.  So guess what?  He spoke to me himself, not knowing me from anyone.  He was very nice, stated I was a good candidate, and said his office will get intouch with me this week about details.  I feel very comfortable about my decision with him and I am going alone.  When are you thinking of going?
lisalou79
on 1/2/12 4:21 am - de soto, MO
 Oh wow, March is when I am planning to have my surgery too. I haven't made contact with his office yet because, though I have been convinced this is a good Dr. and will be safe even though it is in Mexico, I have yet to get my Mom (who I am wanting to be my travel buddy) on board with this. 

I have a computer file that I have been gathering all of the information, research and testimonies I can about having DS with Dr. Ungson. I plan to creat a PowerPoint presentation on the information(including as many pics as I can get from people who have had DS with Ungson) and e-mail it to my Mom. I want to show her it is a smart choice....not a bad one. 

Good luck to me, right? lol
lisalou79
on 1/2/12 4:25 am - de soto, MO
 Oh wow, I just re-read your post. You're going alone? What week are you looking at going in March? I have committed to having this surgery and know my husband won't be able to come with me due to work and our kids. 

This is why I am trying to convince my Mother to come with me but...so far she is hysterical about the whole idea. I have decided that if I have to...I will go alone as well and possible hire a private nurse for additional care (if need be)
bugirll
on 1/2/12 4:35 am - MD
DS on 03/19/12
I will be going after the 10th.  My mom will be on a cruise until then and I need her to help take care of hte kids while my husband is at work while I am gone.  Other than that its up to whe he is available. 

My mom is scared for me and I have decided that I will not be able to convice her until I amback and safe.  I dont have a problem going alone but if we can connect up, that would be great!

Have you read all the wonderful reviews here on OH about him? There is about 40!
lisalou79
on 1/2/12 4:56 am - de soto, MO
 I am still reading as many reviews as I can find. Ha, it's funny you said after the 10th. That is around the time frame I was looking into because of my Mom's spring break (she's a teacher) being around March 10th. 

I figure I can still aim for that time frame, if Dr. Ungson can schedule for that time and if all pre-op tests go ok, and even if my Mom won't come around for me then I will go alone. 

So...if you do have a surgery date and are going then we just may be there for the same surgery around the same time. How cool is that?

I'm about 80% sure at this point that I am going to have this surgery and with Ungson. I will have to keep you posted along the way.
goodkel
on 1/2/12 4:24 pm
On January 2, 2012 at 12:56 PM Pacific Time, lisalou79 wrote:
 I am still reading as many reviews as I can find. Ha, it's funny you said after the 10th. That is around the time frame I was looking into because of my Mom's spring break (she's a teacher) being around March 10th. 

I figure I can still aim for that time frame, if Dr. Ungson can schedule for that time and if all pre-op tests go ok, and even if my Mom won't come around for me then I will go alone. 

So...if you do have a surgery date and are going then we just may be there for the same surgery around the same time. How cool is that?

I'm about 80% sure at this point that I am going to have this surgery and with Ungson. I will have to keep you posted along the way.
I went by myself. I don't speak a word of Spanish. I had absolutely no problem at all. Feel free to PM me at the link in my signature, if you have any questions about travelling alone.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

(deactivated member)
on 1/2/12 7:18 am
 Dr. Ungson is amazing, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take someone with you.

I has my DS with Dr. Ungson just over 6 months ago. I posted a 6 month update here:http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4483398/6-Months-Post-O p/#37095966 

You can read about my experience here: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4417157/Post-Surgery-Up date/ and here: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4427922/One-Month-Post- Op-long/

The first one was a couple days, maybe a week, post op and the second one was 1 month post op. I really recommend reading them both as I ended up with a complication (not due to the doctors!) after I posted the first one.

MajorMom
on 1/2/12 5:18 am - VA
 Not sure how much individual attention he's given on DSFACTS.COM, and you may have already done your research there, but it's a great reference. Sending you the link to another resource as well.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Dudette
on 1/2/12 6:18 am, edited 1/2/12 6:20 am - Edina, MN
Hi Lisa!

I had Dr. Ungson for my DS three months ago. I am a recent post-op. I realize my profile on the left says Dr. Aceves. I actually had both Ungson and Aceves for my surgery. When I was negotiating my surgery and shopping for a surgeon in Mexico I had it narrowed down to those two. Ungson was on the DS List, Aceves wasn't... but by every account he's an excellent and capable baratric surgeon... one of the best of the best in Mexico.

I soon discovered that Dr. Aceves works with Dr. Ungson as a team for his DS surgeries. Basically, Dr. Ungson was willing to fly up to Mexicali for the day just for me!  Due to some unique logistics on my end (long story), I preferred getting my surgery done in Mexicali... hence I got two great surgeons for the price of one.

I cannot praise both Ungson and Aceves highly enough. What really impressed me about Dr. Ungson was something that I heard from another patient the day after my surgery. I was bored of sitting around in my room, grabbed my IV stand and started wandering the floor and poking my head into other patient's rooms and introducing myself. A gal who had the VSG the day before asked about my surgery. I told her I had the DS. She says "Oh cool! I met your surgeon!"  I asked her what she was talking about. She explained that the morning of my surgery that Dr. Ungson made rounds with Dr. Aceves and visited all of his patients with him even though he normally performs surgery at another hospital several hundred miles away. How cool is that? I'm sure most visiting surgeons wouldn't bother doing rounds with patients they're not even operating on. Dr. Ungson is a class act all the way. :-)

Anyway, feel free to send me a friend request on here if you want to see my before and after photos. It's only been 3 mos. and I've already lost of ton of weight (see my ticker below).  Best of luck if you decide to go ahead with a DS in Mexico.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 713 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1019 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 341 views