Am I just having the worst luck or what?

Divine_Ambrosia
on 1/5/12 11:37 am - Cary, NC
So one of lap sites that was a bit open, but mostly closed when I left the hospital is wide open now, pus/drainy like and like I said a big giant hole (bigger than my belly button and happens to be right above it).  I have a very low grade fever.  Called the hospital bariatric surgeon that is on call and he told me to wet gauze pack it and then place another piece of gauze over it.  Called out antibiotics for me, which I will get in the morning, told me to take some amoxicillian I had here till  then.  

I just want to heal and get better.  I swear to god this is not going how I planned it.  I've been reading people who had DS passing away and I'm starting to freak out now and wonder if I did the right thing? Someone please just put my worries at ease.......I want to live a long happy life, not cut it short 20 years.  I mean what's done is done, but still, I'm absolutely terrified right now.  I know I need to calm down too because that is not helping my situation in the slightest.  

I got in about 30 ozs of liquid today.  I'll be pressing harder tomorrow of course to keep myself hydrated cause I know that is the most important thing.  I also have been trying a little soup like Dr. Sudan suggested when I left the hospital.  By little....I mean less than two ounces.

Anyway - I have an appointment w/ Dr. Sudan on Monday.  Hopefully everything will go well.

I haven't really slept well at all since the surgery.  Dr. Sudan said it was okay to take my Ambien  - what do you guys think?
*Ash*
Lap Band Originally - May 2004
Lap Band to DS Revision Approved! Surgeon will be Dr. Sudan @ Duke.

Misty Costanzo
on 1/5/12 1:38 pm - Bennington, NE
I feel your pain.  I had my surgery almost 4 years ago with Dr Sudan when he was still here in Nebraska.  He is an excellent surgeon but sometimes things just dont go as planned.  I was two weeks out from surgery and started feeling horrible and running a fever.  After seeing Dr Sudan I was admitted to the hospital for fluid that was in my abdomen.  They had to place a drain through my liver to get to it.  It was so horrible.  I was on morphine, had a pic line and was halluinating.  I couldn't eat anything for days and they were worried I wasn't going to pull through.  I made it but it was a huge set back for me.  Two years ago I had a tummy tuck and came down with Lyme disease, once again in the hospital.  My incision didn't heal very well  I had several areas that opened up and the sutures in my belly button weren't able to be removed for 3 weeks.  Now I have a belly button that looks like a sea shell.  Moral of the story is, even with all the complications I've had I wouldn't change anything.  You made a great choice doing the DS.  It's just a set back, it will get better.  And you have the best surgeon in the world.  Wish he was still here. 
Good luck to you.
BBoop
on 1/5/12 2:11 pm
Just keep pushing fluids.  That's really important right now 1) cause you are a new DSer and 2) cause you are running a fever.

Do the wet gauze pack and follow  your doctors instructions. 

Of course I would take an ambien...why wouldn't you?

I'm so sorry this happened to you but once all this is cleared up, you will do just fine.  Let us know what the doc says on Monday.  If for some unknown reason things go South for you before Monday, go directly to the ER...don't hesitate.

Take care,
Betty
larra
on 1/5/12 11:47 pm - bay area, CA
So sorry your problems are not over yet!

What Betty said - if you get any worse, head straight to the ER. A wound infection is one thing, and fluid coming out may be messy but better out than in, but if there's something more going on internally, the wound care and antibiotic pills won't be enough.
     I know no one wants to go to the ER, esp when you feel like crap and have to really drag yourself in there, but better safe than sorry.

Larra
fullhousemom
on 1/6/12 1:21 am
 When I had my appendix out via lap, I developed an infection by my belly button as well. Pus came out and I was running a fever. I believe they gave me vicodin and maybe something else?  The vicodin made me hallucinate. All I could do was sleep. Did I mention I had triplet boys who were 7 months old at the time and I was nursing?  It was horrible. 

But it did get better!  Looking back it was just a little blip in the big picture of things!  If you are really concerned about the infection, insist on being seen by your surgeon to put your mind at ease.   Chances are the antibiotic willl clear up the infection. 

My DS was open, but a couple of stitches loosened up at my belly button. If I kept some guaze and tape on it, it healed much quicker and I was more comfortable. Dont put neosporin on it to help with healing when you have an infection!  Also, I wore stretchy yoga pants (cheap at Old Navy) and pulled them down below my belly button when I was home alone. At three months out, I still havent worn a pair of jeans. 

Best wishes and let us know how you are doing!  You WILL love your DS!  Even with some "issues" along the way, I dont believe I have read about one single person who hasn't liked their DS!  And that first person will NOT be you!! :)
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 789 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1068 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 352 views