Eating out question: Thai food?

halblingefrau
on 1/12/12 1:17 pm - Flagstaff, AZ
So I'm going on a date tomorrow night and we picked my favorite Thai restaurant in town.  However, my favorite pre-surgery dish was Pad Thai (primiarily noodle based with chicken and veggies and whatnot).  I've been able to handle spicy things since surgery so I'm not worried there.  What I am worried about is what to order. 

I REALLY want the Pad Thai, but it's so noodle heavy I'm afraid I'll turn into the sewer gas monster which is not the best way to end a first date.  Anyone have experience with Thai food options that are DS friendly?  I thought about curry, but  most currys are served over rice.  I suppose I could get one of the appetizers (fried tofu or chicken satay).  Here's the link ot the place we are going to: www.patothai.com/menu.html

Any advice is welcome and appreciated!  Also, this is my first date post-surgery so I'm a little nervous.  :)

* Gail R *
on 1/12/12 1:35 pm - SF Bay Area, CA
The ala carte menu looks fantastic. You choose the meat and how and with what you want it prepared. I haven't seen that on a menu before. Many perfect choices for a DSer. YUM

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

Panda ..
on 1/12/12 1:36 pm, edited 1/12/12 1:36 pm
Ladytazz
on 1/12/12 2:20 pm
On the a la carte menu there is BBQ chicken.  I've had it at Thai restaurants and it is delicious.  It looks like the same.  The sweet and sour sauce was on the side.  I think I had that for 3 meals.  You could get that with some steamed vegies.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

halblingefrau
on 1/12/12 4:06 pm - Flagstaff, AZ
Thanks for the advice everyone.  I'm leaning toward the satay, but if I can't stand it and must get the Pad Thai I will just eat the chicken out of it.... and then enjoy the noodles in the privacy of my own home where the only ones who smell me are the stinky dogs.  :)

As far as gas, I've noticed three things that I am not good friends with:  beans of any kind, apple in any form (juice, whole, applesauce), and potatoes.  The gas from these food are paint-peeling.  Small price to pay for 114lb loss and counting.

newyorkbitch
on 1/12/12 10:50 pm
There are plenty of protein options on that menu.  And if there is rice on your plate,  you don't have to eat it.  Look at the a la carte menu - plenty of good options for you there.  Pad thai is not a good choice.

Julie R.
on 1/12/12 8:38 pm - Ludington, MI
 I have no problems with Thai.   That being said, I don't order Pad Thai, because it's too heavy on the nooldles and just fills me up unnecessarily.   I think thai noodles are rice anyway, and I tolerate rice well.    I usually get one of the curries served over rice.  I do not have problems with any vegetables anymore, but at six months out, broccoli might have.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

michellemj
on 1/12/12 9:59 pm
One of my fav things to order is the Prig King which is just your choice of protein with green beans/carrots and a chili paste. There's no coconut milk (which for whatever reason, I can't handle postop anymore...I don't have a DS so perhaps it wouldn't be a problem for you) and the only veg is green beans and carrots which should be ok at this stage for you. I don't eat the rice (I actually ask them not to bring it).

If your date doesn't know about your surgery, simply tell him that you don't like a lot of empty carbs and don't eat rice and stuff. Guys won't even bat an eye at that. :)

HW: 280; SW: 255; GW1: 150; CW: 155.

Janet P.
on 1/13/12 2:40 am
You're right that pad thai isn't your best option but look at anything that is primarily protein - chicken or shrimp curry (red, yellow, green - yum). Ask for the rice on the side and simply don't eat any (or just eat a spoonful or two).

Enjoy!!

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

mel1964
on 1/13/12 2:58 am
i would not eat the pad thai because the noodles will fill you up and you will be hungry later, (and maybe gassy)!!! i always have the rice on the side, i always stick to the meat dishes and curries, for some reason i can eat spicy food now, , order hot tea to calm your tummy. try to eat slow and enjoy your food. take what left in a doggy bag, (sometimes i get nervous and cant eat and by the time i get home i am looking for leftovers) enjoy your date!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 338 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 801 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 268 views