Petition to white house for WLS coverage

lisalou79
on 1/22/12 7:31 am - de soto, MO
Hi all,

I wanted to spread the word about a petition available that requests the white house consider making it illegal for health insurance companies to allow the exclusion of coverage for morbid obesity and weight loss surgeries that are deemed medically necessary.

Since I ran into this exclusions myself, I've been doing a lot of research on how and why this is legal. There are a few states coming around and are forcing WLS coverage. Most states, however, still do not enforce WLS coverage or the coverage or morbid obesity, leaving many people to either take on the extroidonary financial burden of becoming self pay, leaving the country, or simply not being able to afford treatment and possibly see their health deteriorate even further.

We need 25,000 signitures for this issue to be officially addressed by the Obama administration.

This may not solidify a change in our country, but it is something we all can do to make this situation heard by our government.

The link to the petition is http://wh.gov/KrX

Please, sign it and pass it on!
Mom4Jazz
on 1/22/12 8:44 am
I agree in principle, but this petition is a bit pointless because the executive branch doesn't have the authority to make laws - only Congress can do that.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Blank Out
on 1/22/12 9:28 am
 At least that's how it's supposed to work...

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

lisalou79
on 1/22/12 1:08 pm - de soto, MO
"The right to petition your government is guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution. We the People provides a new way to petition the Obama Administration to take action on a range of important issues facing our country. We created We the People because we want to hear from you. If a petition gets enough support, White House staff will review it, ensure it’s sent to the appropriate policy experts, and issue an official response."

The above quote explains the petition site and background. It's not a petition for just the white house, that's just the name of the site.

The petition would be brought to the entire Obama admin. The idea is to get the issue addressed. That's what gets the ball rolling to eventually, and this is the ultimate goal, have it passed into law.

Every law started with an issue being addressed.
Frankie
on 1/22/12 10:52 pm - NY
Hi Lisalou79, I signed the petition.

Frankie (aka Frances)

lisalou79
on 1/23/12 1:20 am - de soto, MO
Thank you 
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 808 views
calcium/protein