surgeons? ohio, ky, mi, pa, wv area

Sandra C.
on 3/5/12 9:17 pm, edited 3/5/12 9:28 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
 Just a suggestion, choosing a surgeon who is close to you, but not on the vettted list is not wise, especially for complicated revisions. How many of your kind of  revision surgeries and D.S.es has he done? How many are complication free? What kind of after care does the office offer? After the surgeons work is done, you will be gaining all the tools to make your D.S. work best for you from the nutritionist, begaviorist topic and cognative lectures, sports physiologist exercise guidance. Pre surgery care is important too, with a nutritionally sound weight loss diet with products that replace the need for a colon clense pre surgery.

Dr. Kemmeters program fee for first time surgical candidates( less than $1000.00 when I did it 7 months ago) covers pre surgical educational lectures with nutritionist, PA, and sports physiologist. These are necessary , documented  for insurance qualification. A specific number of classes are required. Education of all aspects of the D.S. is imparitave for managing your health and weight loss successfully.

The surgeons who seem to need to be convinced you need to have the D.S. are testing your knowlege of the D.S. Saint Mary's Hospital has private rooms for all his patients in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and a roof top garden, with indoor and outdoor lounge areas.

If  a surgeon doesnt do the D.S. they will talk you into other surgeries, which take less time enabling them to do many more surgeries in a day. I have heard of some not being truthful about the D.S. to direct future patients into the surgeries they do quickly.

If you dont have a clue how it works, they wont give it to you. How you take care of yourself post surgery determines your  weight loss success and  ability to stay healthy. You must have a handle on the facts and self monitor nutrition needs with high protein, vitamins, supplements, blood tests, exercise and regular PCP check-ups. The surgeon sees you a handfull of times if ll goes well, then the rest of his staff monitors your progress for the first year and beyond.  Even though I am only an hour away from my surgeon, I have e-mailed his office many times for help. Will you have the ability to do this? There are many questions to ask before you decide on a surgeon for the D.S. Its a complicated surgery with complicated care for the rest of your life, but well worth it !!!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

(deactivated member)
on 3/5/12 11:18 pm
Another Dr. John Maguire alumni here. Can't say enough about his expertise, his staff, and the hospital staff.
Valerie G.
on 3/7/12 1:06 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
You're in luck!
Dayton has Dr's Maguire and Teel.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Jon C.
on 3/7/12 2:23 am, edited 3/7/12 2:24 am - Auburn, WA
Good Morning All,

My name is Jon. I am from the west coast Seattle WA. I am a Lap BAnd paitent. My Surgeon Dr Chebli and I have decided that conversion to DS is best for me. He dose not perform the DS surgery so i am looking for a surgeon. I see High Praise for Dr Kemmeter on this site. I am wondering if anyone can give me feedback on there experience with him especially if you have traveled a good distance to have your surgery with him. Also if anyone has Aetna insurance can you shed any light on the process thru them with me?

Thanks ,
Jon
Renee2007
on 3/7/12 10:23 pm - Central, FL
 Hi Jon,
Sometimes posts like yours get buried in a thread and you might have a lot more feedback, especially from Dr. K patients, if you start a new thread and put his name in the title. Just a helpful tip. Good luck!

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

Jon C.
on 3/8/12 7:29 am - Auburn, WA
Thank you Renee. i will do that.

JON
shele
on 3/7/12 10:51 pm, edited 3/12/12 10:14 pm

Maguire only does open, and Teal does still do them IF he thinks you are educated and serious enough to follow the strict aftercare regimine.

Edit for misinformation!

I personally called Maguire/ Teel office. Dr Teel is no longer offering the ds AT ALL. From what the ins coordinater communicated, he had switched to doing them open, but now has stopped doing them all together.  Maguire still is doing open.

I had a rny to distal with Maguire. While I really regret not pusuing the full ds, his skill, compassion, and after care are awesome!

My hubby has an appt set up to get the ball rolling to get the ds with Dr. Maguire.

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

nightowl
on 3/13/12 11:10 am - Topeka, KS
Thanks for the update.  I will write to Bev at DSfacts.com regarding having Teel removed from the list.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1046 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1203 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 497 views