New here

Raisinet
on 3/16/12 3:40 am - MI

Hello, I've been reading the DS forum for some time now and just today created my profile to post here.  All the posts I've read have been so helpful already.  My whole story is on my profile.  Basiclly I'm almost to the point of getting my DS schedule with Dr. Paul Kemmeter at St. Mary's.  I'm just on a Vitamin D hold and I had H pylorie which I've taking the medicine for.  Next week I'll get labs again.  Recently my husband talked my out of doing the surgery and I agreed to try it again the old fashion way and have had some sucess but I'm afraid of losing a ton just to gain it back plus more.  So I need to really soul search and pray and sit down with a heart to heart with my hustand again.

Another question I had was the long term affects of DS.  I'm taking about when I'm in my 70's and 80's will the malabsorption part become a problem?

Thanks all!

Annette

MajorMom
on 3/16/12 7:37 am - VA
Hey! I just responded to you on the LW board. :)  It's a pretty sad statistic about diets...something like 95 - 98% fail. I thought I could try one more time...then thought again and asked myself who I was kidding. Good luck with your decision and your talk with your hubby.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

zuzupetals2u2
on 3/16/12 12:13 pm - Sedona, AZ
 my first thought was that if you dont have the DS you wont live to see your 70's & 80's!  We will always have malabsorption and need to take supplements & protein & water but it becomes much easier once you get used to it. Keep reading & learning about the DS in the meantime and you might have to educate your husband & your doctor & everyone around you in the process.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

whatthehair
on 3/17/12 12:08 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
 First of all Welcome!! I am just getting started on my journey. I started researching this 3 years ago, and back then I thought the DS was the best option for me, until the seminar I went to had surgeons that did NOT offer it. So then I was leaning toward RNY. After backing out of the process 2 years ago(I wasn't that far into it) I now know that the DS is the ONLY surgery I want, and since I've chose that surgery, I've also chosen Dr. Kemmeter at GHP.

Monday March 26th I'm going to my first WLS seminar with GHP and am ready to move forward. I'm not sure how long the whole process works, but I'm willing to wait for Dr. Kemmeter so I can get the surgery that I chose.

I'm from south of Grand Rapids about 20 miles, not sure how close you are to me, but I'd love to keep in contact with you during your process....share expierences....and be of support for you :)

Please let me know if you ever want to talk or what not. I have REALLY researched this surgery and ALL other surgeries, even bought the book Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies, which is great! I'm NOT saying I know everything about this, but I definitely feel I know enough that I'm making the best decision for me!

Best of luck to you!!!!

If you really knew me, you'd see my heart is honest and pure, your painful words will push me forward on my journey and NOT knock me down! I will succeed this time, for I have the support of a 50 story building, and the love to last a thousand lifetimes! It's time for me to LOVE ME!

bldeck
on 3/20/12 8:59 am - Farmington, NM
This was pointed out to me by my mother.  When we would visit my grandmother in the old folks home, we always checked out the menu.  Food is a good indicator of a nice home.  Anyway one think that is noticeable is that for a snacks ensure is served as well as for breakfast.  Now Ensure is slightly higher in carbs then I would like but they still have a high protein formula that we will be able to drink.  So the protein will not be a problem.  AS we age our absorption or malabsorption will change anyway, we may need a few more pills but by that time if I am not already taking a truck load for the poor eyesight, arthritis or anything else it will be amazing.

Please think hard about your surgery.  2 years before I decided on surgery I lost 70lbs on WW, but could not get anymore off and then gained it all back over the 2 years.  This surgery was the best think that ever happened to me.

Betty

DS with Daryl Stewart 04/21/10 - SW 306lbs CW 140lbs

Plastic Surgery with Dr. Sauceda 11/06/12 - LBL, Thigh Lift, BL/BA, small Arm lift

MsBatt
on 3/20/12 2:12 pm
At 45, when I was researching the DS, I figured it was my only chance to REACH my 70s.

Here's my philosophy about ageing---I sincerely hope that my mind and body both wear out at the same time. Should my mind reach a point where it's not capable of helping my body get adequate nutrition---whether that be by popping umpteen vitamins a day or knowing how to eat properly---then it's time for me to die.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 682 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1005 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 338 views