Eight Years and Still Happy with the DS

charlietuna54
on 4/30/12 11:15 am - St. Augustine, FL
This week is the 8th anniversary of my DS surgery. All I can say is WOW…. I began this journey at a high weight of 500lbs and today I vary from 265 to 290. I am 6’-5"; I wore a size 22" – 24" shirt and 60"-62 “ pants. Today I wear a 16 ½ to 17 ½ shirt and a 42" pair of pants. I am now a 57 year old male. I am off all blood pressure pills and gave up the CPAP machine the day of surgery. My labs are good but I have had low potassium since the surgery. I take supplements to increase the potassium and that seems to be the only problem in my labs. My last blood work my cholesteral was down to a total of 89!!  I still go to see my surgeon every 6 months and I believe that the followup with him is extremely important. I know a couple of people that are a year or so further along than me and they started having some problems this past year. But they had not been keeping up with their labs every year much less every 6 months.

My life is so much better. I now have a 18 month old granddaughter who has her grandpa wrapped around her finger and she knows it. I get on the floor and play with her and run after her outside. I would never had been able to have had the ability to do this without the surgery.  I try to go on a cruise or 2 every year my wife and I mix in a couple of weekend trips to Disney World or one of the other theme parks. I have the greatest wife in all the world and she stood by me throughout this journey.

My weight varies throughout the year by some 30 - 35  lbs. I have not figured that out as I eat the same year round but I will gain and then lose for no apparent reason. I don't let it bother me because even with the variation in weight I am still down 200 lbs at a minimum. 

I still lurk on this board quite a bit even though I seldom post. It provides me with support and encouragement and I am thankful this site has been around since before I bagan this journey. It helped me tremendously in the beginning with all the questions I needed answered and it still is a resource for me today.

I wish all of you on this journey towards curing this horrible disease much success. If I can ever answer any questions or give any support please contact me.  

MajorMom
on 4/30/12 6:44 pm - VA
Happy surgiversary. Thanks for coming by and posting about your wonderful journey and experience.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Sunshine16
on 5/1/12 12:36 am
congrats!

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

zuzupetals2u2
on 5/1/12 5:18 am - Sedona, AZ
 that is a great transformation! I am happy for you! What do you take for supplements?? Do you get the bone scans every year too?
Nicolle
on 5/1/12 5:26 am
Thanks for checking in! Congrats on your wonderful life!

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

amccu18007
on 5/1/12 8:48 am - Newark, DE
Congrats on your surgiversary! I love hearing from people that are as far out as you
  Amanda
SW 269    CW 135.6  GW 140    

Crazeru
on 5/1/12 9:17 am
Congrats & Happy surgiversary.  Enjoy that granddaughter.  I'm sure you have more fun now that you can get on the floor with her.  Wait until you can take her to Disneyland and be able to ride all the rids.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

WeightNoMoreSherri
on 5/1/12 12:31 pm - St George, UT
 Happy Surgiversary!  I am 13 years out with the  DS with Dr. Robert Rabkin in 1999 and continue to stay at 124 from 332, my iron is low sometimes but other than that I am healthy and 50 years old..

~Peace, Sherri    

I have a new site for WLS if you want information, nothing is being sold, it is for information and support only! If you would like to visit the site the link is on my profile.

Sherri ~ BPD/DS ~ Dr. Robert Rabkin ~ San Francisco ~
                 March 15th, 1999 SW 332 CW 123
Amanda-DS
on 5/4/12 5:56 am
happy surgiversary and give that grand kid a hug for me! she is a lucky young lady to have you in her life, full of energy and love for her
Gratitude is my attitude

Amanda-DS October 2001
highest >350/342 start of wls journey/ 192 @8years

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 358 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 816 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views