DS questions- Food, excercise and weight loss

ArcanaDagger
on 8/21/12 9:00 am - Westlake, OH
DS on 08/06/12

Hello everyone! I just had my DS on August 6th! I've got a few questions for everyone, if you don't mind. First, let me say that my surgery wasn't just the DS. When my doc got in there to do the procedure, he found 4 hernias twisting up my small intestines. He partially fixed them but I have to go back in 6-9 months for a permanent fix. Has anyone experienced this? I have a lot of pain and I'm pretty sure it's the hernias (stupid things).

My second question- what's the pureed food diet all about? I just started it and the book they gave me on how to eat is so contradictory
! They say that I should be eating 2-4 tbs but the amounts of food listed are 1/4 cup, 1/2 cup. Mom made me 2 tbs of pureed chicken, 1/2 c of mashed potatos, and a container of baby food carrots for dinner last night. Granted, I only ate a little of each, we couldn't understand the amounts they gave! Any insight?

Third and fourth question go hand in hand. Has anyone had trouble exercising just after surgery? It is pretty hard for me to do my treadmill sometimes. I'm thinking it's the hernias (again) that are slowing up my healing process from the DS...Also, did anyone else lose weight REALLY slowly? I haven't seen a pound drop in a couple days and I'm not sure what the issue is? Could it be my intake of water? I don't think I'm drinking as much as I should...I've lost 30 lbs in 3 weeks but it's been slow going this week!

Thanks for all the help! I'm really appreciative this forum!!

MajorMom
on 8/21/12 3:47 pm - VA
Really really work on the fluids and try to get 64oz in a day. Also, try to concentrate on protein a little more...things like eggs, cheese, Greek yogurt with protein powder, protein shakes, shrimp ****tail. All I was told to do was walk at first, no exercise for several months.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

teachmid
on 8/21/12 4:50 pm - OKC, OK
Like Gina said.....fluids, fluids and a tiny bit of high protein foods. I would stay away from veggies right now.

I was instructed to not to exercise except for walking for 12 weeks.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

larra
on 8/22/12 7:59 am - bay area, CA
Now please don't take this the wrong way...it's just that I've been on this forum and others for a long time, and have never heard of this surgeon, or anyone else at the Cleveland Clinic, doing a DS. Did he really do a DS for you?? Do you know if he, or others there, are going to start offering the DS on a regular basis? If so, that would be great.

But I think I can answer your diet question. They have given you classic post-op RNY diet instructions. This happens all the time, and not just with this practice. So just to give you an example, I was never instructed to eat pureed foods (yuck!) and never did. I was instructed to eat soft foods such as egg, shrimp, tuna salad, scallops, that sort of thing, for the first month or so, and after that could try more dense forms of protein. No amounts were specified, which didn't really matter because I couldn't eat more than a couple little bites at a time anyway. There was certainly no required amount to eat.

At this point, your real concern is fluids, fluids, fluids. Get it a little food if/when you can, but don't sweat it. Your body has protein stored up to get you through the first few weeks. Walk frequently, even if only short distances, like around the house. I can't imagine how you are doing a treadmill at all.

And don't be alarmed about a stall early out. This happens to everyone. It's frustrating because there you are, eating next to nothing, and the scale doesn't move, but it WILL move in the future. Best thing to do is to step away from the scale for awhile and just focus on recovery.

Larra
ArcanaDagger
on 8/23/12 8:08 am - Westlake, OH
DS on 08/06/12
Thanks so much everyone!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 776 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1061 views
Need help for my mom