Protein Shake Comparison (x-post)

LadyLucky
on 9/28/12 4:31 am - KS
Just thought I would share the nutrition information I pulled on several protein shakes. I simply used Google so this info may vary. The info is based on chocolate except for the two coffee flavors. My next step is to get samples or individual servings of each and compare the taste. I know taste buds change but I thought it wouldn't hurt to start looking at this now. Feel free to post what you think of these brands or if you like any others that aren't included. Good luck to everyone!

Brand

Serving

Calories

Fat

Carbs

Sugar

Protein

Premier

pre-mixed

Chike

48 g

Jay Robb

30 g

Celebrate

44 g

Syntrax Nectar

28 g

Champion

32 g

Chike Iced Coffee

36 g

Designer Whey

28 g

Click

32 g

TaliTali
on 9/28/12 4:48 am - Sammamish, WA
Nice list!

My favorite is Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold
http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=OP-1011

24 grams of protein per scoop
120 calories
3 grams of carbs
1 gram of sugar

HW ~ SW ~ CW
310 - 291 - 150

LadyLucky
on 9/28/12 5:14 am - KS
I will have to add that one to my list of samples.  Thanks for sharing!
TaliTali
on 9/28/12 5:20 am - Sammamish, WA
To me, it tastes nearly identical to the Champion which many people are very fond of. I think it's as good and MUCH cheaper. You can usually get it on sale at Vitamin Shoppe every few months for about $40/5lb

HW ~ SW ~ CW
310 - 291 - 150

A. C
on 9/28/12 5:19 am
My favorite is Unjury.

It is the one I "feel" best using.  Waiting on my month's supply to arrive right now!

TaliTali
on 9/28/12 5:24 am - Sammamish, WA
I've never tried Unjury. It has such a negative reputation that I've been scared to try it.

HW ~ SW ~ CW
310 - 291 - 150

A. C
on 9/28/12 5:58 am, edited 9/28/12 5:58 am
I didn't know that.  A girl who had the surgery with the same surgeon I did told me about it.  When she was in the hospital (different than the one I was in), the dietician told her about it. 

It is medical grade.

I have been having such problems.  I tried a sample pack and made a world of difference!  I ran out and thought I'll get some of the other stuff.  I am not doing great in the last 3 days that I ran out.

I'm sticking with it.

What negative have you heard about it?

I know of three hospitals that use it.  Plus, a Orthopedic Dr who works with one of the "big" sports team in the area uses it with his patients. 
puppysweets1
on 9/28/12 6:59 am - CA
Hi LadyLucky. is your list all whey based?  Recently saw a beef based (!) chocolate protein powder mix at Vitamin Shoppe.  Have heard that whey that is processed a certain way is supposed to be the easiest to assimilate, but it seems beef protein would be very complete.

RNY to DS  210 lbs gone for 5 years.

LadyLucky
on 9/28/12 7:16 am - KS
Yes, I pulled info on Whey only because I too heard it was the easiest to digest.  I'll have to look into the beef protein.  Sure seems like that would be a very natural protein.

Also, on the Unjury - I really like the Chicken Soup flavor.  It's savory instead of sweet like the others.  I forgot about that one and I even have it in my pantry.  Ha!  I didn't care for the sweet flavors of Unjury, but again, everyone is different.  I do think it had a good amount of protein but I haven't heard anything negative other than the taste.
A. C
on 9/29/12 3:10 am
FYI...

I received this email from Unjury thought I would share it with everyone:

Cut & Pasted:
How Much TAURINE in Your Protein?

How Much TAURINE in Your Protein?

What is Taurine?

Taurine is a non-essential amino acid. Your body can use it IF you are a human infant, OR if you are a cat.

Why Would a Protein Supplement Company Use It?

It’s cheap. It is made in China and costs just one-fourth as much as the protein in UNJURY.

They can still count that as protein on the label even though it has little or no value to adult humans?

UNJURY uses no Taurine
and never will. We think it
is deceptive to use it.

Yes. They are doing it.

How much do they use?

You need to read the label. Ingredient lists can be very tricky, so a company can make it hard to know how much is used. One big brand at a giant discount mart might be using as much as 23%, from what we can see on the label.

They might also be using as much as 24% creatine (24% of the protein) which your body can use some of, but typically not nearly that much. Why use creatine? Same answer: it is much less expensive.

So maybe 40% to 47% of the protein in the container of that other brand at the discount mart has no value to my body?

That’s what we estimate. If your brand shows taurine (or creatine) in the ingredient list, ask the company how much.

Dear UNJURY Customers:

Product and labeling practices that we show above are, we think deceptive and potentially harmful to your health.

You have read about customers who write that when they try other brands their hair falls out, or they start gaining weight, or their gums bleed. So protein quality clearly matters.

That shows the value of TRUST.

At UNJURY, we say, TRUST is the First Ingredient®, and we mean it. It IS the first ingredient, and our first priority.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 739 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1038 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 349 views