Complex Carbs vs. Simple Carbs in Recipes - How do they affect you post-DS?

LadyLucky
on 9/29/12 7:46 am - KS
Sorry for the long post, I just thought I would finally bring up my concern and ask for feedback.

A main concern I have with the DS is how carbs will impact me after DS surgery.  I'm worried they will cause stool issues and/or upset my stomach.  Now, I know I'll be on soft foods and shakes for awhile after surgery, but I'm talking about what happens when I reach the "normal" eating stages.  I have read that noodles, dairy (except skim), fruit, etc. are simple carbs and beans are complex carbs.  I use all of these on a regular basis when cooking.....which concerns me.

Okay, not to have a big head, but I'm a pretty darn good cook.  My friends bombard me when they know I'm cooking chili, chicken enchiladas, sausage breakfast muffins, chicken noodles and any of my other famous recipes.   This may sound silly but as a single gal I practically live off of a handful of recipes and I fear most of them will cause issues post-DS.  Yikes!

One batch of each makes about 20 servings since I'm currently sleeved and can only eat about 6 ounces comfortably.  So I cook up each recipe every couple of weeks, freeze them in these handy little containers and I'm set for a 1-miinute microwave breakfast, lunch and dinner.  It's like I have my own little line of frozen meals and I love them all.  Ha!

So...can you tell me what makes you poop like you've never pooped before?  What gives you gas?  Or what is simply frowned upon with the DS?  Here are my main concerns:

Chili - I use pork and beans, chili beans, kidney beans, black beans, pinto beans, great northern beans, spicy sausage, brown sugar, hamburger and some other yumminess - I think the main issue might be the beans, which I can always cut back on but it's soooo yummy.  I know they are complex carbs so I'm hoping they don't cause as much of an issue, but I just don't know.

Chicken enchilada casserole - I use six small tortillas in the bottom of the casserole. I can probably make it without those but they really hold the servings together.  This sounds so silly as I'm typing it.  I'm also concerned about the dairy.  I use cream of chicken, sour cream, chicken and lots of cheese, plus spices.  Most of it will provide a decent amount of protein but I'm concerned that the simple carbs will not allow me to eat it without issues.

Sausage and egg breakfast muffins - These are protein packed but I haven't been able to make them without the tiny piece of crescent roll in the bottom. They just fall apart if I don't use it...I guess I could eat around it.  My puppy would love to share the crescent piece. But again, these have cream cheese, mild cheddar, etc. which I believe are simple carbs.

Chicken noodles - Well, I'm sure the noodles will have to be changed out...you think?  They are the frozen white kind but I think they are all simple carbs.  Any suggestions on what to replace them with?  The rest is mixed veggies, chicken and spices so that shouldn't be an issue.  And I don't put them over potatoes, but that's because the noodles are nice and thick so I don't need to.

This all sounds so silly but it really is what I eat about 80% of the time.  Of course, I am still trying protein shakes to see what I can stomach.  I'm enjoying the coffee protein drinks many of you have suggested.  But agian, do you have issues with milk or creamer?  From what I've read, they are simple carbs unless skim.  That makes me think cheese sticks will not sit well either, but surely that's not the case.  I am just getting mixed information when I search things.  So I have officially come to the experts.   Any feedback you can give me would be great!

Thanks a bunch!!!
MajorMom
on 9/29/12 8:22 am - VA
What many folks find is wheat flour products such as the noodles and crescent roll, etc. can cause them to be gassy. Some have issues with lactose you find in milk and ice cream, many don't. That can range from gas to diarrhea. I think most of us have gas issues with a lot of beans as a normie would. You can switch to whole fat products in your cooking, which IMO, makes food tastier. I think when some folks over do lactose and sugar in a product such as soft serve ice cream, they have issues as well.

That's all I can think of. Most things don't give me excessive problems but I'm careful. It really is a your-mileage-may-vary thing. Once you hit goal you can experiment a bit and find your problem foods. Until then, stay on the straight an narrow as long as you can--low carb under 50 grams a day, high protein over 100 grams a day. Limiting variety is fine. Find what works for you and stick to it.

--gina     

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

LadyLucky
on 9/29/12 8:39 am - KS
Thanks Gina!  I can't imagine being able to use whole fat products.  With my weight issues starting at 17 years old, during the low-fat era of the 90s, I just got used to skim or low fat products.  I don't even think twice when shopping.  I go straight to fat free or low fat, which makes my friends happy when I tell them after they devour my food.  I'm excited but cautious about that because I will have to retrain my brain when shopping.

Sticking to the straight and narrow until I hit goal is exactly what I need!  I see a lot of protein shakes, bacon and fish in my future.  Thanks for the info!!!
A. C
on 9/29/12 9:11 am, edited 9/29/12 9:15 am
Sounds like you are a good cook!  Yummy!

I'm a newbie (just 8.5 weeks out).  My recommendation is to really look at your life and your relationship with food before having the DS conversion.

Everybody is different.  The one thing that I have learned is this...speaking for me...

The DS is not carb friendly (meaning breads, tortillas anything with "white" and/or sugar and/or maltitol).  Gluten free does not mean it's flour free.  Sugar free if it has maltitol ( the diabetic foods have it).  These things do cause the bathroom runs (literally speaking).  Plus simple carbs are absorbed at 100%, so it defeats the purpose of the DS by eating tortillas.

Of all the people I have personally met over the last couple of months, they all tell me if you eat those things, you will pay.  I've had literally 2 bites of a quesadilla (with sour cream).  I was in the bathroom a lot that day. 

As exciting as it is at the stage you are at...I was there in June & July, couldn't wait ecstatic!  

In a day, my life changed!

It's a total life change in a day... It's a committment that surpasses all committments in life.  If you do not eat right, then it is your life.

I'm not trying to scare you, I'm being real.  I wish someone would have been that real with me before I had this surgery.  Keep on this forum!!! This forum has been a life saver for me!

As much as we single people plan and live our lives (which it sounds to me, we are similar), it is not easy.  I prepared my food for work in advance as well.  Now, I can't do that.  Things that were great before surgery, simple quick to go meals that I would make don't work now.  My taste has changed.  Every day is a different day.  The only staple is protein shakes.  I was doing good with salmon.  Now, I have a wonderful piece in the freezer, can't stand the thought of it.  People at work order pizza, I'm petrified to try a piece for fear of having to run to the bathroom.  If I'm running late, I can't go pick up a salad at Wendy's if I haven't made anything.  I still can't eat salad as to it will make me live in the bathroom with 3 bites.  I do miss my salad! 

I have met people (in person) who are as far as 7 yrs out.  Some of them still can't have these things yet other's can.  I really think it's more individual than we can imagine.  If I didn't have a roommate, I don't know what I would have done.

I'm speaking as a single gal. 
Best of luck to you with your journey!

LadyLucky
on 9/29/12 9:29 am - KS
ButterflyHope,
I absolutely you being honest!  This is exactly what I'm going through - making sure I can mentally and physically accept the changes I need to make.  I will not do this if I'm not going to commit to making those changes.  There is still a 10% chance I might change my mind.  Ugh!  It makes me sick to think that but it's true.  Food has become so important in my life that I need to ensure I can change that first.  Counseling is on the agenda too!

If you don't mind me asking, what are you eating at 8.5 weeks out?  Have you been able to make food a secondary thing in life and not something you focus on constantly?  And what do you do if you can't grab a salad?  What would you grab?  Maybe just a protein shake?  Basically, how do you prepare for the unpredictable days?

I'm sure I'll have a gazillion more questions!  And you should ship your roommate to me for a month.  Ha!  Not having opposable thumbs makes my little puppy useless. 
A. C
on 9/30/12 3:02 am
I've never in my entire life been more consumed with food.  My whole thought process, what sounds good today.  Can I keep it down etc.. First and foremost, getting the food in me (which is a whole other story) is the most important.  Protein Protein Protein!  I've tried nearly every protein shake on the market.  Unjury is the only one that really helps me.  I'vebeen without it for a few days and other than yesterday (the day after I ate the shrimp)...I'm wiped out exhausted tired.

I can try anything I want according to the NP.  I have to get in a 100 grams of protein a day,

shannn
on 9/29/12 10:57 am - Knoxville , TN
On September 29, 2012 at 2:46 PM Pacific Time, LadyLucky wrote:
Sorry for the long post, I just thought I would finally bring up my concern and ask for feedback.

A main concern I have with the DS is how carbs will impact me after DS surgery.  I'm worried they will cause stool issues and/or upset my stomach.  Now, I know I'll be on soft foods and shakes for awhile after surgery, but I'm talking about what happens when I reach the "normal" eating stages.  I have read that noodles, dairy (except skim), fruit, etc. are simple carbs and beans are complex carbs.  I use all of these on a regular basis when cooking.....which concerns me.

Okay, not to have a big head, but I'm a pretty darn good cook.  My friends bombard me when they know I'm cooking chili, chicken enchiladas, sausage breakfast muffins, chicken noodles and any of my other famous recipes.   This may sound silly but as a single gal I practically live off of a handful of recipes and I fear most of them will cause issues post-DS.  Yikes!

One batch of each makes about 20 servings since I'm currently sleeved and can only eat about 6 ounces comfortably.  So I cook up each recipe every couple of weeks, freeze them in these handy little containers and I'm set for a 1-miinute microwave breakfast, lunch and dinner.  It's like I have my own little line of frozen meals and I love them all.  Ha!

So...can you tell me what makes you poop like you've never pooped before?  What gives you gas?  Or what is simply frowned upon with the DS?  Here are my main concerns:

Chili - I use pork and beans, chili beans, kidney beans, black beans, pinto beans, great northern beans, spicy sausage, brown sugar, hamburger and some other yumminess - I think the main issue might be the beans, which I can always cut back on but it's soooo yummy.  I know they are complex carbs so I'm hoping they don't cause as much of an issue, but I just don't know.

Chicken enchilada casserole - I use six small tortillas in the bottom of the casserole. I can probably make it without those but they really hold the servings together.  This sounds so silly as I'm typing it.  I'm also concerned about the dairy.  I use cream of chicken, sour cream, chicken and lots of cheese, plus spices.  Most of it will provide a decent amount of protein but I'm concerned that the simple carbs will not allow me to eat it without issues.

Sausage and egg breakfast muffins - These are protein packed but I haven't been able to make them without the tiny piece of crescent roll in the bottom. They just fall apart if I don't use it...I guess I could eat around it.  My puppy would love to share the crescent piece. But again, these have cream cheese, mild cheddar, etc. which I believe are simple carbs.

Chicken noodles - Well, I'm sure the noodles will have to be changed out...you think?  They are the frozen white kind but I think they are all simple carbs.  Any suggestions on what to replace them with?  The rest is mixed veggies, chicken and spices so that shouldn't be an issue.  And I don't put them over potatoes, but that's because the noodles are nice and thick so I don't need to.

This all sounds so silly but it really is what I eat about 80% of the time.  Of course, I am still trying protein shakes to see what I can stomach.  I'm enjoying the coffee protein drinks many of you have suggested.  But agian, do you have issues with milk or creamer?  From what I've read, they are simple carbs unless skim.  That makes me think cheese sticks will not sit well either, but surely that's not the case.  I am just getting mixed information when I search things.  So I have officially come to the experts.   Any feedback you can give me would be great!

Thanks a bunch!!!
Here's how those recipes would affect me:

1) Chili: I have no trouble with beans (well, anymore than I already had). The other thing that would cause me trouble would be the pork & beans sugar content & the brown sugar (if it's a lot). It wouldn't be painful but it would cause gas/pooping.

2) chicken enchilada: one of my favorites! As long as they were corn tortillas, no problem. Flour tortillas are a BIG no for me. I have no trouble with dairy.

3) muffins: no trouble with cream cheese & cheddar. Those are proteins, not carbs. The crescent roll would be hard for me and would make this an occasional treat for me. The cream cheese mixture is amazing and I could eat it by the spoonful every day!

4) Chicken noodles: noodles are a definite no for me. I could have a bite but then I'd have to eat around the noodles after that.

No trouble with milk/cream at all for me. Some people have lactose problems after surgery, but I don't. I have a coffee protein every morning for breakfast. Cheese sticks are a perfect go-to snack. Cheese is protein.

Hope this is helpful!!

~shannon
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." ~E. Roosevelt

(Ticker includes 11 pounds lost in pre-op diet.) 

shannn
on 9/29/12 11:02 am - Knoxville , TN
 As far as go-to foods for me: 

Greek yogurt
rolled up lunch meat 
baked pepperoni crisps
cheese of all kinds
eggs
seafood, esp. crab & shrimp 
~shannon
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." ~E. Roosevelt

(Ticker includes 11 pounds lost in pre-op diet.) 

LadyLucky
on 9/29/12 12:01 pm - KS
Shannon,
Thanks for the response!  I never thought of corn tortillas!  I also like your go-to food list.  I can handle those and actually enjoy them.  These are great reminders of what to have on hand just in case of an emergency.  And I love crab meat and cheese sticks!  Now if I could just figure out how to install a fridge in my car for all of this.....

Thanks again!!!
PattyL
on 9/29/12 11:58 am
 You'll have to wait and see what bothers you.  Some people develop intolerances and some people do not.  I am one of those who did not.  I can eat anything.  But if I want to stay relatively thin, I have to be careful.

Don't assume there are all kinds of foods you won't be able to eat postop.  Just wait and see.  It makes no sense to wish for trouble!

Just figure out ways to make the foods you love DS friendly.  Add fat, add protein, and cut back on carbs.  I would probably try those mexical dishes with the Mission Low Carb Tortillas.  And you can always safely add more meat to almost anything.

You cook just like me, in bulk.  I only dirty up the kitchen at most once every other week or so.  I love having my own fast food in the fridge.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 954 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1158 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 417 views