Traveling to Mexico with companion?

jashley
on 11/10/12 12:01 pm
DS on 12/19/12

I am setting up dates for a DS with Aceves soon.  I was thinking I would go down to Mexico alone.  I'm going to be sleeping, or reading, or using my lap top - and I'm going to be drugged/or in pain.  Someone could get on my nerves real quick....

Taking someone does appeal to me because I would feel safer is someone was watching over me.  But do I really need to be watched over?

Anyone take someone with them and wished they had left them home?  Anyone go alone, and wished they had taken someone with them?

Thanks for your input.

usandall
on 11/10/12 6:07 pm

I went to the only doc they suggest here on the site in Mexico Dr U and I felt completely safe with him and his staff alone.  He made me stay 10 days post op as he checks for leaks before you are released to go home.  The nurse checked on me every day at the Hotel and gave me a shot to prevent clots I think.....................  Surprising the days passed fast.  The nurse even brought me the items I was able to eat post op and stocked my frig.  I walked up to the hotel  lobby a few times a day to keep myself moving.  In my situation is was not a possibility to bring someone as they could not get off of work and I needed someone to stay with my youngest who is 11.  My surgical date was 2/14/12 and I do not regret it..............  Dr U does suggest having someone with you however in my instance they took me under their wing knowing I was alone and I received the best of care and I am nurse and was very impressed as you hear story that scare a person.  Nothing happened what so ever.  I was in a lot of pain in the hospital related to back problems and I could not sleep well in the bed or recliner I asked to be released one day early to sleep better in the hotel bed and the doctor agreed so I only stayed 3 nights in the hospital instead of they typical 4.  My only regret and it not a big deal I wish I had my appendix out as I would like to avoid a surgery in the future and it only cost an extra 200 but I had scar tissue since I was a revision and the surgical time took to long. 

Valerie G.
on 11/11/12 12:42 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I know several who went alone to Dr. Ungson.  He has a gal who takes  care of every detail for you.  Dr. Aceves trained with Ungson, so hopefully he has the same kind of arrangements for his patients.  Hopefully some of his patients will chime in, but don't hesitate to contact his office and ask.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

jashley
on 11/11/12 1:43 am
DS on 12/19/12

Thanks for sharing your experiences.  I would think someone would be bored silly if they came with me, and I've read that Mexicali is a quiet little town with nothing to do or see.

I would like to bring my older sister, but she hates Mexico.  I can't think of anyone else I would want to take that I wouldn't feel obligated to entertain in some way after 4 days.  10 days is a long time.

But I can see the benefit of having someone there, in case things go south.

Maybe Nina, the wonderful assistant, can find me a rent-a-reletive also.  Man, she is good at her job.  I would like to clone her.

PattyL
on 11/11/12 5:21 am

I've gone and been the caretaker for several people, mostly to Spain.  You will probably do fine.  I was really there for peace of mind more than anything else!

usandall
on 11/11/12 6:10 am

I went to Dr U as already stated.  They were so nice my phone would not work there for some reason and they actually gave me a phone apparently they have for pts so they can keep in touch with their families here.  If he was trained by Dr U I would ask but I swear it was like clock work they had every thing down.  They thought of things before I had to ask.  Dr U not only called me at my home prior to my procedure to talk to me I also had several emails back and forth answering all my questions. 

I think Dr U would have rather I had someone there but to be honest I am the type of person who when I am hurting would rather be alone and it all worked out.

Now when I think back I have to giggle a little as I am a nurse and to think I went to Mexico to give myself the best chance on 2/14/12 means I had some big so called balls.................  I am such a researcher my background is ICU I graduated from Loyola top of my class and I do not think of surgery lightly.  I feel I made an educated decision and I would do it again!!!  Hope this helps you.

Donna

jashley
on 11/11/12 6:26 am
DS on 12/19/12
On November 11, 2012 at 2:10 PM Pacific Time, usandall wrote:

I went to Dr U as already stated.  They were so nice my phone would not work there for some reason and they actually gave me a phone apparently they have for pts so they can keep in touch with their families here.  If he was trained by Dr U I would ask but I swear it was like clock work they had every thing down.  They thought of things before I had to ask.  Dr U not only called me at my home prior to my procedure to talk to me I also had several emails back and forth answering all my questions. 

I think Dr U would have rather I had someone there but to be honest I am the type of person who when I am hurting would rather be alone and it all worked out.

Now when I think back I have to giggle a little as I am a nurse and to think I went to Mexico to give myself the best chance on 2/14/12 means I had some big so called balls.................  I am such a researcher my background is ICU I graduated from Loyola top of my class and I do not think of surgery lightly.  I feel I made an educated decision and I would do it again!!!  Hope this helps you.

Donna

When I'm not feeing well, I would like to be left alone also. 

I guess this is what I should do then.  It sounds like I will be fine on my own.

Thanks for your input.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 349 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 805 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 270 views