Very Overwhelmed!

Tonya E.
on 11/23/12 5:30 am

So I'm just going to lay it all out there... I am freaking out! I just went over the jlogs, (short video logs my doctors office provides to walk us through each step) for the diet part of this process. After watching them I am more confused now than I was before I watched them. I fully understand the liquid diets, and slowly working your way back to where you can eat food again. I can handle that no problem. My problem is once we are able to eat "normal" again. Their idea of "normal" and mine are very different. I mean don't get me wrong I am 100% on board with all of this and am ready to do what I need to, but I cook for 8 people at meal times and it is a chore just getting that done and right each time, now I have to cut out everything but meat and veggies... How? I feel so overwhelmed with the idea of cooking for them and a different meal for me each time. There has to be a better more efficient way to handle this process...

PLEASE HELP!!

You are braver than you think, stronger than you believe, and more beautiful than you could ever imagine!     
MajorMom
on 11/23/12 5:49 am - VA

I cooked differently for about 2 years and then my hubby and son decided to try my low carb way and they did well with it. We've compromised over the past few years and now I just cook semi low carb. They eat more of everything and I eat protein first and a little bit of the other things I make. Sometimes I skip a dish, sometimes I might have 2 bites or little more. The DS is pretty forgiving and will give you the option to eat fairly normally. Don't sweat it, it will be all right.  : )

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Tonya E.
on 11/23/12 5:53 am

Thank you! I hate feel so out of control when it comes to this. I'm so excited to finely be able to fix my weight problem I am so worried I'm going to mess it up. Eating is a major issue, not in the area of me not wanting to give it up, but more so what to eat. I come from a meat and potato, fried food, kind of home and have no idea how to do anything other than that. This will be an interesting challenge. 

You are braver than you think, stronger than you believe, and more beautiful than you could ever imagine!     
MajorMom
on 11/23/12 6:12 am - VA

I think you'll be pleased. If you can control yourself, you will be able to enjoy a little of what everyone else is having. A couple of bites will be plenty. The good thing is, and your surgeon's office might not tell you this, you can and should eat enough oil and fat. Work up to the right amount for you after your system heals. 

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

MsBatt
on 11/24/12 2:18 am

What's wrong with meat and potato? (*grin*)

You'll be fine with fried stuff, once your system settles down, and a bite or two of potato shouldn't hurt you. (Potatoes are the starch that gives me the least trouble, gas-wise.)

Valerie G.
on 11/23/12 11:39 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I just cooked like I normally did.. meat, veggie, starch.  I would skip the starch or eat just a bite or two.  Sometimes I would cook two veggies instead just because I felt like it, and especially during the time my son was in wrestling and was lowering his carbs.  It wasn't a big deal at all.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

CAJUNMAN3366
on 11/23/12 11:56 pm - Breaux Bridge, LA

i cooked basicly the same then my wife liked the way i ate and we cook more of more DS style, meats, veggies and starches i limit everything but the meat and great Lewsiana seafood~!

First annual DS cruise is in the books.  Dark Side Cruise Redux: July 15,2012.
Check us out on Facebook:
www.facebook.com/home.php
usandall
on 11/24/12 7:51 am

I have an 11 year old who is still growing and I do not want to harm her simply because I have changed my diet.  I cook just a normal healthy meal and I focus on more protein.  I do admit though in order to meet the high level of protein we are required to take in I cheat and use a shake.  I start my day with one and then depending upon how I do through out the day with regular food I may have one before I go to bed.  I recently changed from milk to heavy cream in my shakes which lowered the carbs and I have noticed 2 benefits my skin is not as dry and my poop it more formed. 

I eat normal I just get the protein in first.  I honestly do not crave foods like I use to and they may be because I am new as my surgical date was 2/14/12.  I did have a second helping of sweet potatoes with marshmallow but it did not seem to cause me any harm.  Like I said I do not crave the other carb items like I use to.  I have in the past year ate pop cereal and it causes abd extension and gas I do not see myself doing that again. 

I am going to a friends house tonight who agreed to make me beef jerky if I bought the meat I am looking forward to it as the best tasting beef jerky I have found is at trader Joes and at 5 bucks a pack it can get pricey.  Keep protein on board and you will not find yourself hungry missing what ever it is you are cooking for the other 7 of your family.  If you are having a lot of unhealthy foods to begin with it best they do not have them or they will be needing the ds before long. 

I spoke with someone on here prior to my surgery and she said she ate normal just had her protein first and on occasion if she felt like something else she had a bite of it and I am doing the same thing after the first 6 month mark and it seems to be working fine. 

Wish you luck

Donna

Tonya E.
on 11/24/12 3:05 pm

Thank you so much! I am so worried I'm going to mess this up like all the other things I've tried I am over thinking everything. I so greatly appreciate you all taking the time to share with me tips and advice. I feel much better now knowing it is not as scary as I thought it would be. 

usandall
on 11/24/12 3:22 pm

You are very welcome.  It is a major surgery and it did take me 6 months for my stomach to heal and to be more like my normal self.  Like someone posted you will be fine once your system returns to normal.  During my first 6 months I automatically took nexium twice a day which resolved a lot of issues.  Now if my stomach is being sensitive I take one or rather the costco generic version and I am fine.  I would say I take about 3 across a months time period if that gives you an idea.  I think my surgeon instructions were to take it for the first year but I did not need it as frequently for that long.  I have a pack at home and at work just in case as there no reason to suffer when you can take a pill and be fine in 20 to 30 minutes. 

I also found out about a liquid on here which masks the smell of our stool, you put 8 drops in the toilet and there is no smell which I use in the work place if it happens.  However for the most part your system becomes regular and it seems to work out I do most of my business at home. 

Keep coming back to this board as I have found it to be very helpful. 

Donna

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 942 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1156 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 408 views