Going out do eat *What do you have*

CosmoK
on 1/7/13 7:43 pm

Haven't had a surgery yet but I was wondering where are your go to eateries and what do you order when you go out to eat? Any help would be greatly appreciated... I'm trying to feed my brain with info to make the best decision... Will post same on GBP board.. Just a FYI

Jaiart
on 1/7/13 9:01 pm - MI
While very few places have DS meals most have menu items you can turn DS freindly with a little common sense. Skip the bread, and other high carb items. Go for the protein. For example the first place I went post surgey was Boston Market they have many menu items you can eat there. Another place I go is Buffalo Wild Wings I get traditional non battered wings with dry seasonings not sauces. Another place is Mongolian grills where you assemble the dish to your liking. Heavy on the protein/ light on the carbs. Any restaurant has meat and veg. Just skip the potatoes, breads and pastas. As my doctor told me and most people's doctors told them. Eat your protein first then veg then complex carbs skip the simple carbs and you'll do just fine.

(deactivated member)
on 1/7/13 10:19 pm
Fish with extra tartar sauce.
Jaiart
on 1/8/13 2:13 am, edited 1/8/13 10:35 am - MI
Went to Red Lobster for lunch, reminded me that I'm a fish stick fish kind of person. Even their tar tar sauce wasn't good made me sick to my stomach. Yuck... Ate 2 cheddar bay biscuits though and feel horrible about it but that was the only enjoyable part of lunch. Even the Caesar salad was just wrong so other then 3/4 of the fish and 2or 3 forks of salad and 2 cbb's I left it all on the plate.

Kayla B.
on 1/7/13 10:32 pm - Austin, TX

I can find something to eat at any restaurant.  It'd be easier for you to post your favorite places and I'd tell you what I'd get based on their menu.

I basically look for any protein-based meals (fish, chicken, or beef without any sort of breading), and I like veggies or potato for a side.  Favorite is fresh green beans for a side if they have it.

Seafood place: I'll get something like shrimp scampi or crab legs.

Italian: they usually have some sort of non-pasta protein dish with chicken or seafood in a wine/cream sauce.  I like to get a side salad with vinaigrette dressing.

Steak places I like to get steak, obviously!  haha

Sandwich places I'll get any sandwich with lots of vegetables and eat open faced with lots of sauces/condiments, cheese, etc.  

I'll eat burger without the bun, again with lots of mayo/mustard/ketchup/vegetables.  Skip pasta salad and bread, but will eat a few french fries if they come with it.  I try to share the starchy side with at least one other person, and will skip altogether if I can't share.  

Asian places - any sort of stir fried non-breaded meat with vegetables in a spicy red sauce like red chili sauce.  I'll eat a few bites of fried rice.  

BBQ - pulled pork, sausage, brisket, etc.  Any meat without bread.  I will eat cole slaw and potato salad if I have room.  

Another favorite type place to go is to get hot wings, which, as long as they are unbreaded, I can eat plenty of.

Mexican - I always end up getting fajitas and don't eat the tortillas.  I like mexican food, but I find that many places have not a whole lot of things I can eat.  That's the most frustrating place for me to eat at.  The food is so good but gives me gas if I eat too many chips, tortillas, etc, so that cuts out any taco, burrito, enchilada, etc.

That's all I can think of now.  But if I am eating out I mainly try to avoid side effects from flour products.  So I look for unbreaded meats and vegetables.  I also like to try new things so if they have some sort of funky cheese dish or cool appetizer that can be eaten without bread, tortillas, breading, etc.  I avoid wheat flour.  

5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Valerie G.
on 1/8/13 1:27 am, edited 1/8/13 1:27 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

The only things I avoid more than a bite or two are pasta or caesar salad.  

Usually, I love some meat with loaded potato and veggies or salad.  I usually eat half of all of it.  And...anything gooey and cheesy .. count me in!

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Jaiart
on 1/8/13 2:36 am, edited 1/9/13 1:34 am - MI
Why don't you like Caesar?

Valerie G.
on 1/8/13 4:20 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I don't have any explanation, but 4 out of 5 caesar salads give me diarrhea.  Other salads - no problem!  Only Outback's caesar is friendly.

Jaiart
on 1/8/13 5:34 pm - MI
Sorry for your discomfort. I normally don't get dressing or croutons. I usually just put the protein over top and use the juices from that to dress the lettuce and cheese. Outback uses real anchovy paste. Most other Caesar salads don't actually have the anchovies, maybe that's it. Their psuedo Caesar dressings, aren't good.

Valerie G.
on 1/9/13 8:32 am, edited 1/9/13 8:33 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Don't deprive yourself of gooey dressings!!!  A good dose of a savory and not too sugary dressing is blissful.  Try something like a parmesan, ranch, or blue cheese type.  Remember, fat is our friend.

I think you have a good point about the caesar salads, too.  I also got one at a very fancy restaurant that they made at my table with anchovy paste, etc., and no effect there, either.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 432 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 878 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 2 replies · 292 views