NSV and MAJOR insomnia

involuntarysheep
on 1/13/13 2:58 am - TX

At almost 8 weeks out, I stepped on the scale for the second time this week and completely flipped out at a five lb gain.  After some deep breathing and throwing my scale into the back of the linen closet, I measured my waist and saw that I'd lost 3.5 inches in the last week.  Overall I've lost 12.5 inches in my waist, and my smallest pair of pants are starting to fall off.  So, you know, yay! 

For the last couple of days, though, I have had some horrible insomnia.  I works nights, so my schedule is off-kilter already, so this just makes it all the worse.  I've increased my exercise to tire me out (I have restless leg, so it helps that, too), and besides that and taking a bunch of pills, which I am extremely hesitant to do because I have an addictive personality, I'm at my wit's end.  I'm sure it will even out soon enough, but right now it's killing me.  This isn't the first time I've had insomnia, but the last time was stress related, and now life is kind of easy-peasy.

If you've had issues with insomnia, how long did it last, are you still going through it, and what helped?  Hope everyone is having a wonderful day!

~ Christina ~

SW: 293    GW:140    CW:240

southernlady5464
on 1/13/13 3:11 am

Christina, the horrible insomnia...look at the side effects of every single medication you take, esp any prescription ones.

I was having issues for a long time, turns out a sleep aid was the one causing me to wake up in the middle of the night and not be able to get back to sleep. Once I came off it, I've been able to sleep. I still have about 1 night a month of either staying up way late or waking up in the middle and not going back but that is MUCH better than 4-6 times a week!

As to the RLS, yeah, been there done that. Turns out mine was a side effect of varicose veins. http://www.medicinenet.com/restless_leg_syndrome/article.htm #what_causes_restless_leg_syndrome Once I got the weight off, my diabetes in remission, and had the veins treated, mine is gone...most of the time. I will occasionally feel a wee bit but nothing like before...what Iittle that still is there can be ignored.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

involuntarysheep
on 1/13/13 1:56 pm - TX

I'm going to have to do my research tonight and see what might be causing it - I've had RLS for years, but never has it been this bad.  I just started drinking coffee again, a cup a day, and I know caffeine plays a part, maybe that has something to do with it.  It also runs in my family, so who knows.  And in regards to the insomnia, I don't take anything other than my vitamins, I don't even take pain medications any more, and I haven't taken any of my diabetes meds since before the surgery, so I know it's not that.  I used to have really bad insomnia when I was in college.  I spent an entire winter break getting three nights of sleep for the entire month.  Right now, I feel more awake than I've ever felt, and that's a whole weirdness in and of itself.  If anything I guess I can start getting more stuff done with my newfound energy, haha!

~ Christina ~

SW: 293    GW:140    CW:240

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 742 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1039 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 349 views